IGNORED

MYDOS Command Processor

576XE

I remember that after some playing with autoexec I could force this interface to work with ST Mouse.

There was some drivers incompatibility thow...

By the way SED is SEt Directory or CD and Set drive like d1:

Do you know all the available commands of the MyDOS CP ?!?

I mean all commands, besides DIR and SED...?!?

How did you setup/change autoexec to work with an ST mouse ?!?

-Andreas Koch.

Hello Andreas.

Even SED and DIR give us information about external utilities in some subdirectories. :)

SED is universal command it works with drives and directories thus SED D2: leads us to root of D2:

SED D3:PRG:BAS leads us into BAS subdirectory.

Particularly subdirectory D1:N contain mouse driver MOUSE.COM and lightweight mouse commander MCOM.COM.

SED D1:N than MOUSE.COM and MCOM.COM makes all deals. ST Mouse must be on joystick port1.

My autoexec looks like this

SED N - go to N

COM.COM - automatically adds com extension to executables

MYF - no comments

XLF - XL Friend

MOUSE - driver

MCOM - commander

USING:

We press RMB and not depress it until all done.

When we move mouse we move it in upper menu.

We select needed item with LMB.

If command need text input (Like SED command) we steel MUST NOT to free RMB!!! :-o

I guess that all available commands printed in upper menu.

They are:

File commands

REN - rename

ERA - erase

PRO - protect

UNP - unprotect

CRD - create dir

SED - set(select) dir

XLFriend commands

EDIT - ligtweight editor

TAB - symbols table

CAL - calculator

WGL - Core EYE

May be Polish friends can say what does this WGL means ;)

Best wishes from Moscow.

Edited by 130XE

Hello 130XE

There is no MyDOS 5.0. Latest version is 4.55 beta 4. 4.60 was planned by Bob Puff but never turned into reality, ANALOG Computing mentioned 5.0, but when it came to MyDOS, ANALOG Computing didn't have a clue.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS try MyRD(2), you can find it on my MyDOS page.

Edited by Mathy

Does anyone can help me with any suitable MyDOS 5.0 Ramdisk program?

I tried RAMDRIVE1.0 but it leads to crash Atari800WinPlus 4.1.

MyDOS 4.53 has a ramdisk built in. You use the 'O' menu command. THEN:

drive # ? hit RETURN

Verify writes? hit RETURN

# buffers? hit RETURN (it is 3)

Ramdisk present? type 'Y'

Type? 'X' (if a 130XE)

default size (64K for XE) RETURN=Y

RamD #? hit RETURN (is D9:)

now you have a Ramdisk, have to init it.

'I' init menu command

hit 9 for drive number

now you have 499 free sectors RAmdisk.

The MyDOS documentation is good but long and detailed.

If you already knew all this, pardon me.

mydos45.zip

Edited by russg

Hello Mathy, Hello russg.

Thank you for the information anyway.

I'm sorry that I never mentioned that I tried to install ramdisk in CP environment.

VER command shows that DOS.SYS is MYDOS 4.50 and CP.SYS is Command Processor 3.0

There are RAMCOPY.COM utility, thus I think that RAMDISK can be used.

May be AUTORUN.SYS is RAMDISK program.

I'll try to investigate.

Mathy, I'm sorry but 3 links concearning MYDOS 4.50 on your site leads to files that can't be unpacked because of CRC errors.

And another question. Can you advice me Tom's Navigator version which works with MYDOS 4.50

Particularly I meet a strange problem of exiting to TESTSCREEN after quitting Toms Navigator.

May be it finds standard DUP.SYS and can't be used with CP.SYS?

Anyway I can rename CP.SYS to DUP.SYS and use it with standard DOS.SYS of 4.50.

Hello Mathy, Hello russg.

Thank you for the information anyway.

I'm sorry that I never mentioned that I tried to install ramdisk in CP environment.

VER command shows that DOS.SYS is MYDOS 4.50 and CP.SYS is Command Processor 3.0

There are RAMCOPY.COM utility, thus I think that RAMDISK can be used.

May be AUTORUN.SYS is RAMDISK program.

I'll try to investigate.

Mathy, I'm sorry but 3 links concearning MYDOS 4.50 on your site leads to files that can't be unpacked because of CRC errors.

I've told Mathy the same thing, but his Mac says they are good or for some other reason they don't get fixed, it very well may be in the source files too - he doesn't have a good copy to begin with. And this may even go back to the lack of a good working SIO2MAC system which is being hammered out as we speak.

It's very likely the autorun.sys file maybe a ramdisk program, but it's also very likely that you may not want to use it since it might try to format your hard drive in certain conditions when you swap out Atari computers without extended memory mods and that may wipe out your hard drive directory such that it's essentially useless at that point. There is some bad ramdisk code from the early days floating about that can do this - just be careful. You could still use MyRD renamed to autorun.sys with 4.50 and be safe from the hard drive format bug and this would find the ramdisk, format just it and copy your :RAMDISK subdirectory folder files to the ramdisk for you.

And another question. Can you advice me Tom's Navigator version which works with MYDOS 4.50

Particularly I meet a strange problem of exiting to TESTSCREEN after quitting Toms Navigator.

May be it finds standard DUP.SYS and can't be used with CP.SYS?

Last I knew Tom Hunt was working with Marslett's version of 4.51 which would explain why CP.SYS doesn't want to work with the 4.51 DOS.SYS file. That DOS.SYS is just too different to work with this CP.SYS as you assumed. Tom's version was different from Marslett's 4.51 as well so another hurdle to jump over there. I quit work on 4.51 when I saw in it's source code that it in fact was an unfixed version predating the collaboration of Bob Puff and Marslett which resulted in the public domain release of 4.50 as we know it. 4.51 predates 4.50 and is unfixed in several areas (including Tom's version), it has no redeaming values at all so I dropped it like a hot potato. Perhaps a disassembly of Tom's navigator to source code is also needed to see just what he was up to in there and make it relevant to current Puff fixed versions of MyDOS?

Anyway I can rename CP.SYS to DUP.SYS and use it with standard DOS.SYS of 4.50.

Simply brilliant and not much more to say there except that you are officially hired as an idea man and we need more like this. When I finally get my Atari system back up and running again, I'll be sure to try this CP.SYS and disassemble it to source code such that I can work on it too. Please feel free to ask for any improvements and I'll keep them in mind when I get there to see if they can be brought to life. I've been lurking in this thread with much interest all along and have all the files archived already. Much thanks to everyone involved with MyDOS.

• Like 1

Many thanks 1050!!!

In old era I used MyDOS very often but today i simply forgot anything.

There was almost 30 years GAP. But now I'm here again.

(Sorry, there was NOT Internet here in Moscow (But there were something like this ;) )

I love Sparta and SDX but I need somewhat more compartible with Atari 2.0 or 2.5 and this is obviously MYDOS.

I want to try it F.E. with InterLISP 2.5 and with PL65.

(I'm not a programmer at all but I'm a proud man of computer era and I want to know something.)

InterLISP catches XE memory and/or used OSRAM thus it may be impossible.

PL65 instead launches perfectly with MyDOS 5.3-5.5 but crashes with 5.0

Really I hate This Atari Number-Letter way of controlling DOSes or compilers.

Simply my first computer was 8088 and I could control it with Norton's BE (Batch Enhanser) :-D Arrows and Esc-Ret's

I'm idea man of course ;) , but without any kind of fanatism.

I have my simple problems and I'm awaiting simple solutions too.

I love only few things in computers world or near-computers world.

It's ATARI (of course), Siemens SL-45i, HP hx4700, IBM's OS/2

Nothing more. May be slightly IBM's AIX but ...

They all was only usefull and smart enough for me.

No more.

I try to say one thing.

This MYDOS CP is interested in case of no using any excessive drivers or utilities.

Only clear system. It's my fanatism.

I'm sorry for annoying It's Russian Vodka of course. :) It's intimate.

Best wishes from far from anywhere. :-D

Hello 130XE

Mathy, I'm sorry but 3 links concerning MYDOS 4.50 on your site leads to files that can't be unpacked because of CRC errors.

You mean MYDOS45A, B and C.ARC?

IIRC those were the files 1050 and Larry told me about.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS you are talking about 5.x, but I guess you mean 4.5x ?

2_1050.

Todays morning bring me not so modern idea that yesterday I definetely had no lighting electric bulb in my head,

but simply mixed up concepts 'idea' and 'ideology', sorry.

2 Mathy

Yes, I mean MYDOS4.5x. of course. And this three arc files too.

May be modern dearchivators can't UnARC stuff. It's an idea to try UnARC this files with SDX ARC utility.

By the way, I remember something like MYDOS for TOMS disk drives.

3 disks too. Many utilities on them, and Tom's Navigator definetely was there.

Today I can't find them in Internet.

Hi Friends.

There were predessor of MyDOS CP - Well known Polish AtariDOS 2.5 CP.

(I love it sertainly.)

http://tajemnice.atari8.info/

then Ctrl+F(find) the string - 'DOS 2.5 + CP.'

MYDOS CP strictly inherited it's behavior.

And some strange concepts of MYDOS CP became more clear for me when I played with AtariDOS CP.

Particularly the strange concept of ONE VIEWPORT is an attempt to provide user with AtariDOS disk simulation.

When we SED to subdirectory the DOS see it only as AtariDOS disk drive and nothing more.

Thus we can't run some program from root folder being inside of some subdirectory in other way then printing full path with name.

In MYDOS CP they placed INIT.COM program in subfolder N and when we call it with SED N, then INIT strings this program can't see DOS.SYS and CP.SYS placed in root subdirectory and can't read them from current drive for writing on replaced disk.

I think that there are many utilities that have this behavior.

Really I need to investigate this behavior once more for clarification.

Hi 130XE, a predecessor, this gets interesting, we may not want to inherit bad behaviors...

Boy is that a short file! First quick look and I see these commands

DIR directory, drive number

REN rename file1, file2

ERA erase file

CAR run cartridge

MEM memory report of some sort?

RUN run at four digit hex address most likely

BOF BASIC OFF

Ok, no SED in the above CP, but you seem to report that SED does not change the default subdirectory to the SED input string and it should, very likely that there is no call to XIO 41 that does that properly, might be broken under some conditions because in an earlier post you seem to suggest it works fine?

And at INIT.COM, I'm out of gas, as I don't know what it does to start with. But it still sounds like a default directory problem in that it's not getting set what so ever? But I look at the disk and can read the source code to many commands and it appears that SED is set default directory just the same. I'll let you hammer on it some and see what you wind up with one way or the other, you've got far more experiance with it than I do at the moment. RAMCOPY at least is NOT marslett code which is the one that is dangerous to your hard drive so I don't think you need to worry about it after all.

Hi, 1050.

I reported that SED really leads us to subdirectory and all in this place are sertainly viewable by OS.

INIT is small program looks like a panel with 3 lines of choice:

Save DOS files - like H command

Format diskette - like I command

Quit to system

If MYDOS CP is memory resident program then no problem. INIT knows itself where to find CP, but if not then it must firstly read DOS.SYS/CP.SYS files from disk.

In the case when we are SEDed in some subdirectory OS can't see root folder at all and nothing can be copied from disk into RAM for posterior saving to new formatted disk.

Today I called INIT being in root directory with full path D1:DOS:INIT then changed disk in drive to new formatted disk and pressed 'Save DOS files'.

I see now that being memory resident DOS.SYS copied perfectly but CP.SYS was not copied at all.

I tried the next scenario.

SED into DOS subdirectory (where INIT lays), call it by INIT, changed disk on newly formatted ans see that no one file copied.

I name it strange behavior :)

Hello guys

Hello 130XE

You mean MYDOS45A, B and C.ARC?

Seems like I have three copies of these files on my Mac. Unfortunately, all copies are identical. I've found some 1.44MB floppies that might contain the original files, but:

- My CSS XF551 dual drive upgrade won't do 1.44MB floppies

- I lent my USB floppy drive to my brother years ago and the last time I asked him about it, he didn't even remember that he had it.

- My BigTower isn't finished yet. Maybe I should start by cleaning up, so I'll have some space to put my stuff where I can use it.

Grmmbblllll.

Mathy

Today I called INIT being in root directory with full path D1:DOS:INIT then changed disk in drive to new formatted disk and pressed 'Save DOS files'.

I see now that being memory resident DOS.SYS copied perfectly but CP.SYS was not copied at all.

I tried the next scenario.

SED into DOS subdirectory (where INIT lays), call it by INIT, changed disk on newly formatted ans see that no one file copied.

I name it strange behavior :)

Hi 130XE, I'm thinking instead the first result is to be expected. There is an old hack that applies to DOS 2.0 and thus also to MyDOS where if you just COPY the file DOS.SYS, it alone goes and will boot that disk, perhaps these authors used that technique alone for their version of Save DOS files - it should read Copy DOS.SYS and then you would know enough to copy CP.SYS on your own? We should be able to add code to then look for CP.SYS on D1: and if found there, then copy it too.

Not sure what happened in second scenario but sometimes here I find DOS files have been written to my ramdisk by mistake and since computers can't make mistakes that just leaves me on the hook for it.

A few thoughts on how SED may be working, it may be that you'll have to use drive number and full path name there in order for it to function well since older MyDOS stores the default drive number in one place and the default path in another so that they are not one single string that is required for XIO 41 (set default directory) to operate on, this was changed in beta 4 I believe to keep the default drive number with the full path such that it can survive a pressing of the RESET button, earlier versions always reverted back to just the root drive number after a RESET press. This behavior itself will cause all kinds of troubles for SED. But beta 4 may be so different that it won't work with MyDOS_CP too, sorry. On my list of to do things is get the source code off the CP ATR and onto the PC where I can read it, I'll have to install yet another emulator on this temporary Dell to do that on, shouldn't be a problem, but we all know long stories that start that way...

Hello 1050.

I really know this hack. Moreover I remember that if I rewrite DOS.SYS by another version of DOS.SYS copying process places newone onto the same place as oldone and thus new DOS stay bootable, but it,s uncertain.

I think that essential problem of SED is that it not only says OS that the place is default path of D: but also moves us into this place every time.

R command adds the ability to have choice between D: and D1:. Thus being in root directory I can use files on D: and files in root simultaneously.

SED forses us to use full pathes everywhere beside SEDed subdirectory. It,s slightly inconvenient...

COM.COM instead is very useful program for CP.

Hello, Mathy

As my BigBrother of Little Atari is dead for about 2 years I can't inspect Atari's files containing there.

I beleive I can find something there. May be these mistical files too ;-)

Edited by 130XE