IGNORED

Setting up a 512k cart

Gazoo

Seems like everyone has a piece of the puzzle. :)

I just want to buy those two game carts (or four if they can't be combined, not sure if that switch job was custom). I don't have the ability to burn my own chips or solder anything like this. :(

So between the four game carts, which games are still missing? I'm talking about EA games.

Do you want those two cart shells? I've undone them in favor of having single carts that are a little bit more authentic looking. A buck each plus postage? (a priority mail small box is about 5 bucks postage)

med_gallery_29515_833_1086674.jpg

gallery_29515_833_3053.jpg

Gazoo

Do you want those two cart shells? I've undone them in favor of having single carts that are a little bit more authentic looking. A buck each plus postage? (a priority mail small box is about 5 bucks postage)

Where would those wires need to be soldered to switch between the two carts? Does the standard board support this or is it a different board? I'm not sure which of the boards I need to make the multicarts (512K boards, Black boards, UberRom boards, etc.). Actually, your 'authentic' carts look nice. I wouldn't mind four separate carts, but I'd assume that combining them into two with the switch would be cheaper (not sure what the boards run)?

Would you be willing to sell me some of the programmed chips for the game carts? If so, then it sounds like I just need to get my hands on the appropriate boards (maybe I can get those from Ksarul?) and slap the chips in.

BTW which games are still missing?

Where would those wires need to be soldered to switch between the two carts? Does the standard board support this or is it a different board? I'm not sure which of the boards I need to make the multicarts (512K boards, Black boards, UberRom boards, etc.). Actually, your 'authentic' carts look nice. I wouldn't mind four separate carts, but I'd assume that combining them into two with the switch would be cheaper (not sure what the boards run)?

Would you be willing to sell me some of the programmed chips for the game carts? If so, then it sounds like I just need to get my hands on the appropriate boards (maybe I can get those from Ksarul?) and slap the chips in.

BTW which games are still missing?

The new version 512k boards have holes to solder the wires to when used with a 1 meg eprom, unfortunately I don't have any more and I'm not planning on purchasing any more so I can't program them for you. If I have any chips left after Chicago I'll most likely post them for sale here, but there are others here that can program chips and sell them, all the code has been posted here with the exception of the final code for the XB v2.7 Suite cart and anyone is welcome to have at it.

Ksarul is the source for the boards, so contact him regarding what you want. If you don't have any soldering skills, perhaps it's best that you just get the 512k boards and chips and 'slap them together'. :)

I don't know what games are missing, I've asked and I'm waiting for someone to tell me. At this point someone would need to send me the code for any more games because I've pretty much exhausted everything I could find (that works). And there would need to be enough of them to fill up a good percentage of another 512k cart.

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

I don't know what games are missing, I've asked and I'm waiting for someone to tell me. At this point someone would need to send me the code for any more games because I've pretty much exhausted everything I could find (that works). And there would need to be enough of them to fill up a good percentage of another 512k cart.

Gazoo

Which games don't work?

Which games don't work?

I don't know as I didn't make a list. If it didn't work, I moved on to the next one - there's a lot of bad image files out there. As long as it loads as straight memory image files from EA5, it'll work in a cartridge (unless it does some wacky stuff with the EA GPL code).

Gazoo

Tempest, I can probably build four of the game cartridges for you after the Chicago faire. You definitely need Red boards for 512K images. I'd have to build them as 512K carts, as I don't have any one meg chips. As Gazoo noted, the switches connect to a pair of holes made for that purpose on the current revision of the Red boards. Add a 2.2K Ohm resistor and voila, the board is now set up to be used with a 1M EPROM (as two 512K switched zones). I also have plenty of labels for them (I used the same files to generate them at StickerYou as Gazoo did), so yours would also have that nice retro look to them. :) PM me if you are interested. I will probably have to order a new batch of boards after Chicago, as I assembled all but 5-10 of the Red boards I have on hand (and all but 3 of the Black boards I had left). I still have plenty of ÜberGROM boards though (something in the vicinity of 100 or so).

I don't know as I didn't make a list. If it didn't work, I moved on to the next one - there's a lot of bad image files out there. As long as it loads as straight memory image files from EA5, it'll work in a cartridge (unless it does some wacky stuff with the EA GPL code).

Gazoo

Hmm... I'll have to look at your menus and see what games are missing. Maybe a Games 5 can be made if good rom images are found?

Tempest, I can probably build four of the game cartridges for you after the Chicago faire. You definitely need Red boards for 512K images. I'd have to build them as 512K carts, as I don't have any one meg chips. As Gazoo noted, the switches connect to a pair of holes made for that purpose on the current revision of the Red boards. Add a 2.2K Ohm resistor and voila, the board is now set up to be used with a 1M EPROM (as two 512K switched zones). I also have plenty of labels for them (I used the same files to generate them at StickerYou as Gazoo did), so yours would also have that nice retro look to them. :) PM me if you are interested. I will probably have to order a new batch of boards after Chicago, as I assembled all but 5-10 of the Red boards I have on hand (and all but 3 of the Black boards I had left). I still have plenty of ÜberGROM boards though (something in the vicinity of 100 or so).

PM Sent :)

I looked at your four game carts and you're missing several games. I'm 99% sure all the roms for these are out there. Is there a reason none of the Atarisoft titles were included?

4A Flyer

A-Maze-Ing

Alpiner

Ambulance

Angler Dangler

Astro Fighter

Beyond Parsec

Buck Rogers

Burgertime

Cave Creatures (I think the rom is out there)

Centipede

Championship Baseball

Defender

Demon Attack (and the proto with the different voice)

Dig Dug

Donkey Kong

Fantasy

Jungle Hunt

Killer Caterpillar

King of the Castle

Love Tennis

Micro Pinball (same as pinball?)

Micro Tennis

Microsurgeon

Midnite Mason

Mission X

Moon Patrol

Ms. Pac-Man

Munch Mobile

Pac-Man

Paddle Ball

Parsec

Pole Position

Protector II

Rabbit Trail

Return to Pirates Isle

River Rescue

Robotron 2084

Schnoz Ola

Sewermania

Shamus

Super Storm (slime)

Sneggit

Space Bandits

Space Patrol

Star Runner

Starship Pegasus

Super Fly

TI Invaders

TI Toad

Tile Breaker

Trashman (same as Jumpman?)

Tunnels of Doom

Wing War

Also the following games are duplicated:

Crossfire

Driving Demon

Mouse Attack

Chicken Coop (same thing as Henpecked)

Also (and I *know* I'm nitpicking here), are Star Gazer I, II, and III really games? :)

Gazoo has done a great job. Remo and Tempest, feel freee to put together your own cartridges.

I'm not faulting Gazoo's cartridges in the least (told you I was nitpickng on the Star Gazer thing), I'm just letting him know what's still missing since he didn't keep a list.

I've got a bunch of the ones you mentioned in EPROM files that will go very nocely in one of the Guidry cartridges.

How hard is it to actually make your own multicarts once you got the boards? I'll be honest, I didn't look into that. I do have a super old EPROM programmer (uses a parallel port) that *might* work, but if there's a lot of other 'voodoo' that has to happen behind the scenes then I may still be out of luck.

That would be significantly more effort. Gazoo released his methodology and code earlier in the thread http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224528-setting-up-a-512k-cart/page-7?do=findComment&comment=3008202

I'll have to look at that. Looks like that list he put up there has many of the missing games. Did he never make this game cart?

i wonder how many carts it would take to hold all the games? The boards are 512K and IIRC the roms can't be more than 8K (16K if they're a sidecar one).

Forgive me if my questions are stupid, hardware isn't my area of expertise and my knowledge of the inner workings of the TI99 are very limited. I'm going off my experience with other systems.

EDIT: Ah, I may have found my answer (this was several pages back):

The limit is 512k minus 8k for the menu program. Individual programs can be anywhere from 8k to 32k in size. The limitation is that is has to be an ea5 program for the way I'm doing it. It's possible to put some c>6000 single bank carts in there, depending on the length of the menu name.

So the game has to be available in EA 5 format, that would explain some of the missing games and the increased sizes. I wonder if the non-EA 5 games would work as Single Bank Carts?

I looked at your four game carts and you're missing several games. I'm 99% sure all the roms for these are out there. Is there a reason none of the Atarisoft titles were included?

4A Flyer

A-Maze-Ing

Alpiner

Ambulance

Angler Dangler

Astro Fighter

Beyond Parsec

Buck Rogers

Burgertime

Cave Creatures (I think the rom is out there)

Centipede

Championship Baseball

Defender

Demon Attack (and the proto with the different voice)

Dig Dug

Donkey Kong

Fantasy

Jungle Hunt

Killer Caterpillar

King of the Castle

Love Tennis

Micro Pinball (same as pinball?)

Micro Tennis

Microsurgeon

Midnite Mason

Mission X

Moon Patrol

Ms. Pac-Man

Munch Mobile

Pac-Man

Paddle Ball

Parsec

Pole Position

Protector II

Rabbit Trail

Return to Pirates Isle

River Rescue

Robotron 2084

Schnoz Ola

Sewermania

Shamus

Super Storm (slime)

Sneggit

Space Bandits

Space Patrol

Star Runner

Starship Pegasus

Super Fly

TI Invaders

TI Toad

Tile Breaker

Trashman (same as Jumpman?)

Tunnels of Doom

Wing War

Also the following games are duplicated:

Crossfire

Driving Demon

Mouse Attack

Also (and I *know* I'm nitpicking here), are Star Gazer I, II, and III really games? :)

Maybe you'd better look again.

Most of the games you listed are on the carts. :)

And I'm pretty sure I included all the Atarisoft carts.

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 1

Maybe you'd better look again.

Most of the games you listed are on the carts. :)

And I'm pretty sure I included all the Atarisoft carts.

Gazoo

I was just going off the posted screenshots. I guess I missed a bunch then. Got lists of what are on each one? I can edit my 'missing list' then.

I purchased all 4 Game Carts and the Utilities Cart and have to say that they are priceless. It is so much appreciated What Gazoo and everyone else has done with these Collections. I cant even imagine how much time went into this.

I would love to buy some labels if anyone happens to have some that they want to sell and ship.

Thanks again for all your work!!!

Ah ha! Perfect! I missed the first one completely.

So now it looks like the only missing games are (if I'm not mistaken again):

Alpiner
Angler Dangler
Astro Fighter
Beyond Parsec
Championship Baseball
Fantasy
Killer Caterpillar
King of the Castle
Microsurgeon
Mission X
Munch Mobile
Return to Pirates Isle
Robotron 2084
Schnoz Ola
Sewermania
Super Storm (slime)
Sneggit
Space Bandits
Space Patrol
Star Runner
Starship Pegasus
Super Fly
Tile Breaker
Tunnels of Doom
Wing War
More than enough for one more cart if you're willing (assuming the roms exist in the right format)
Also, the following games are duplicated on Games 2

Ah ha! Perfect! I missed the first one completely.

So now it looks like the only missing games are (if I'm not mistaken again):

Alpiner
Angler Dangler
Astro Fighter
Beyond Parsec
Championship Baseball
Fantasy
Killer Caterpillar
King of the Castle
Microsurgeon
Mission X
Munch Mobile
Return to Pirates Isle
Robotron 2084
Schnoz Ola
Sewermania
Super Storm (slime)
Sneggit
Space Bandits
Space Patrol
Star Runner
Starship Pegasus
Super Fly
Tile Breaker
Tunnels of Doom
Wing War
More than enough for one more cart if you're willing (assuming the roms exist in the right format)
Also, the following games are duplicated on Games 2

Not a problem to make another cart. All I need are those files in EA5 format.

Gazoo

Gazoo

I think some of those are because I have them on my CF7+. Some of them may be EA3 or XB though. I can look into this this weekend if no one else is interested. I assume you looked through TI Game Shelf already?

Are the current four carts full or can more be added to those? I'm not sure if they're limited by your menu system or something like that.

I think some of those are because I have them on my CF7+. Some of them may be EA3 or XB though. I can look into this this weekend if no one else is interested. I assume you looked through TI Game Shelf already?

Are the current four carts full or can more be added to those? I'm not sure if they're limited by your menu system or something like that.

XB files won't work. EA3 must be converted to EA5. All 4 carts are full. The menu can be adjusted to fit what's on a cart, about 15 or 16 paged menu screens can fit into the 32k expansion memory space, so somewhere about 256 menu entries would be the max I would imagine.

I don't know much (if anything) about TI Game Shelf, as I'm not a gamer. I was doing this as a programming exercise after doing the utilities cart, and found it fairly challenging and quite rewarding.

Gazoo

• Like 2

Gazoo

I would love to see TOD and Adventure modules added to the next cart.

I assume you could still load the game files from Disk or Cassette?

Also, Thanks Gazoo and ALL who have contributed to these carts, these

are awesome!!!

Are these the correct files you would need?

ADVENTURE.zip

Edited by Fritz442