IGNORED

Setting up a 512k cart

Gazoo

If you want a 512K image with just those 4 games, duplicate it 8 times and invert it.

That's right, it would only be 4 games. Even if I knew how to do that, it would not be worth the effort.

What's needed is a cartridge that has ALL the Atarisoft games. That would be a neat cartridge, because if I'm not mistaken, even non-expanded TI'ers could use it. That might sell a few more TI's and cartridge boards. Once they bite the bait, we got 'em!

Several of the Atarisoft games are 16K--and without doing some serious digging into the code to modify the bank switching to use the addresses where the game's code is in the larger image, this will not work on an unexpanded console. As to the process to build a 512K image, Gazoo put the menu template up here and explained the entire process of filling it with your chosen files, so none of us are in the position of sucking wind when it comes to the build process. It is all here, but it does require a bit of perseverance to get the cartridge built and assembled properly. Note also that even then, some programs don't like that load process--so they WILL NOT WORK. There is no list of the ones that don't work either--and the same goes for a list of those that do work (although if you go into the menus for the six games cartridges, you will have a really good start on finding all of the ones we CAN use in the larger cartridge images.

The real message is to experiment with what you have and you will eventually reach the point where YOU are the expert at building new images. That is a good thing and a great goal. :) :) :)

Hey Ksarul,

Bummer to hear from an expert that some of the Atarisoft games will not work on these new carts in a system that has not been expanded. :( I was planning on giving away another basic console with a couple of Uber Carts, one being Tursi's Multicart and another one with those Atari games on it. Oh well, it is what it is.

As to the process defined by Gazoo, I'll have to find and look into that some day. Unfortunately for the foreseeable future, I don't see myself having enough time to delve into yet another time consuming aspect of the hobby. So as a member of our little community here, I'll have to continue filling my little niche doing what little I can here and there as time allows.

I have been doing a little experimenting with these wonderful cartridges, I'm just very thankful for guys like you, Tursi, and Acadiel with your hardware goodies as well as Rasmus, Gazoo, Insane Multitasker, Sometimes99'er and the other guys on the software end of things. You guys all elevate the hobby and keep it fresh for so many people. Without you guys, this place would be rather insipid.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

It's been awhile since I updated Classic99 and now that I'm on v394, my multicarts no longer work. I set them up as explained here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224528-setting-up-a-512k-cart/page-9?do=findComment&comment=3053247 way back then, but that isn't working anymore. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks~!

It's been awhile since I updated Classic99 and now that I'm on v394, my multicarts no longer work. I set them up as explained here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224528-setting-up-a-512k-cart/page-9?do=findComment&comment=3053247 way back then, but that isn't working anymore. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks~!

for a 512k image, they all tend to be non-inverted roms, so you want to use code 8 for the rom type, instead of 3. At least I think that is correct. There was some discussion in the classic99 thread about sorting that out once the 378 non-inverting decoder chips were being used in the 512k cart and ubergrom cart.

-M@

Matt is correct. . .8 for non-inverted images (generally of 512K to 2048K in size), 3 for inverted images (pretty much anything 128K or less). Note that in Classic99, you could make immense images up to 32MB, but there is no way to make those work on real iron (yet).

Not to confuse the issue—but, <filename>9.bin also works for inverted images (379 latch chip)—and actually makes more sense than <filename>3.bin, with non-inverted images <filename>8.bin (378 latch chip) in the mix. @Tursi added the ‘9’ filename suffix to Classic99 (but not the manual, yet) to avoid confusion. Initially, the ‘3’ suffix was not confusing because inverted images used to be the only such ROM images supported.

...lee

Classic99 hasn't changed any of its naming conventions.

If it went from not working to working with no other changes, then just post the log when you boot the cartridge, and again after you try to load it.

(edit: well, except the one addition Lee mentioned ;) )

Edited by Tursi

Okay, thanks for the explanation. It looks like I have old images of these multicarts (files were dated 8/14/2014, which was when I must have downloaded them). When I set them up originally I used 3 as I previously explained, but when I changed them to 8, they did work as far as presenting the 2 menu option, but dumped me back to the initial TI screen when I chose 2.

So I've been able to find replacements for Gamecarts 3 & 4 (not to mention "new" ones, for me at least, 5 & 6) while paging through this thread along with an updated Utilities megacart, but didn't find replacements for 1 & 2. Is there a central hub from where they can be downloaded?

Thanks again for all the work that has gone into compiling these~!