IGNORED

COLLECTORVISION - Official Thread for SPACE RAID - ORDER DIGITAL ROM NOW!

Rev

I wait for my replacements too after a little journey and some problems in our communication. I hope they arrive in a better shape than the last ones. A question: Did the others who needed replacements also had to ship the damaged parts back on their own costs? I did and even if I accept it, it feels a bit weird.

But to talk a bit about the game: I had just a little chance to play these games, but Space Raid feelt a bit strange. How do I shot the opponents and how could they shot me down? I just pass them and they me, they shoot and I do the same, but no one hits each other, because we fly in different heights. Its the same problem which Mission X had when I remember it correctly. A kind if radar could help to solve this issue and maybe a well trained eye. I will try it again when I get my stuff back.

Maybe it was already answered, but how do the fixes of the bugs help the guys who already paid and got the games? I mean its nice if you use this as a Betatest and fix the issues, but does it mean early birds have poor versions while buyers in the future get the final ROM version? Boo me, but both games seem to be not really polished and could maybe needed a better testing phase. They look nice in the shelf and I really like the styropor inlay, but they are not really addictive.

But to talk a bit about the game: I had just a little chance to play these games, but Space Raid feelt a bit strange. How do I shot the opponents and how could they shot me down? I just pass them and they me, they shoot and I do the same, but no one hits each other, because we fly in different heights.

By flying up and down?! You know, this game is isometric. Did you ever played the original Zaxxon?

By flying up and down?!

I do understand the system and I also played isometric games before. I may try it again when my games arrive, but so far it was pretty tough (and not the challenging way) to estimate the heights of the enemies. Did your worked correctly? My copies had issues with PAL systems and I wonder if it was a fault of my games or a general issue.

I haven't tried the CollectorVIsion games on my PAL setup, but surely there are others who have.

I can say this, though, from testing The Lost Caves of Kroz on both PAL and NTSC: Correctly tuning a game to work on both PAL and NTSC can be challenging. I know intvnut has been tuning jzIntv to try to get emulation of PAL more accurate so developers using SDK-1600 will be able to account for the differences more accurately in the future.

There are two hugely important differences:

1. VBLANK interrupts in PAL are at 50Hz, in NTSC at 60Hz
  2. The CPU on PAL systems runs faster than on NTSC systems

These behaviors lead to seemingly contradictory behaviors:

• "Wall clock" time, i.e. displaying how many seconds elapsed, needs special attention (code written for NTSC running an PAL counts seconds more slowly on PAL)
  • Action in the game may run too fast, depending on how the game is written.

For example, since VBLANK is something that runs at a known speed, an NTSC developer will say one second == 60 'ticks'. A PAL developer will say one second == 50 'ticks'. So, an NTSC game running on PAL that counts seconds will appear to have seconds that are "too slow" because it actually takes longer for 60 'ticks' to happen on a PAL system.

Similarly, if a game makes calculations to update MOB positions runs in the 'main loop' code rather than in VBLANK, something moving at a constant velocity will seem to move faster on a PAL system, because the instructions are being executed more quickly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am still waiting for my replacements and since he used the wrong adress to send them to me I doubt that I get them soon. All in all I paid 25€ more than the original price of the games, because I had to make a post request for redirecting his sending (costed 20€) and I had to pay my return of his stuff (about 5€). I could deal with it if I would get my stuff, but it seems that there are some problems with my request and I am afraid the shipping goes back to Canada (good case) or is anywhere in Germany, because its without tracking.

@ Coleco Master

Please read and answer my last PM, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

I recently purchased Space Raid and Sydney Hunter through Good Deal Games and now I realize that 2 different versions of the boxes exist.

Because I have not received yet the package with the copies I bought I can't check now.

Can someone please let me know which versions of the games are in the Good Deal Games store?
Space Raid: Mattel style or CBS style?
Sydney Hunter: Coleco style or CBS style?

Looking at the images posted in their website it seems like Good Deal Games is selling the most "common" versions (Mattel style of Space Raid and Coleco style of Sydney Hunter).

Whatever is the version that has been shipped I would like to buy also a copy of the versions that I have nor already purchased.

Thank you very much!

Dear all,

I recently purchased Space Raid and Sydney Hunter through Good Deal Games and now I realize that 2 different versions of the boxes exist.

Because I have not received yet the package with the copies I bought I can't check now.

Can someone please let me know which versions of the games are in the Good Deal Games store?

Space Raid: Mattel style or CBS style?

Sydney Hunter: Coleco style or CBS style?

Looking at the images posted in their website it seems like Good Deal Games is selling the most "common" versions (Mattel style of Space Raid and Coleco style of Sydney Hunter).

Whatever is the version that has been shipped I would like to buy also a copy of the versions that I have nor already purchased.

Thank you very much!

Why don't you just send Michael a email and ask him which versions he is sending you? I'm sure he will answer you immediately and then you will know for certain....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you willing to sell the ROM for those that do not have real hardware to play it? I would gladly pay for the ROM and I'm sure there are others that are interested in it too.

The ROM file for Space Raid is now available for sale at http://www.scubbly.com/item/99835/ :)

• Like 7