IGNORED

Looking for analog throttle controller (Lunar Lander type)

ledzep

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could find (buy) a controller that acts/works like the Lunar Lander analog thruster controller. Meaning a pot connected to a handle that is spring-loaded so that it will slide back to 0 or off. I don't want to buy an actual replacement Lunar Lander controller because those things are huge and expensive (I'm currently unemployed). I own a Lunar Lander that works so it's not for an arcade game. I'm hoping for something smaller, the size of an Atari 2600 joystick or so. Is there such a thing? I was considering the throttle control from a flight sim stick but those are also not cheap, I'm not sure which ones might be analog, and they don't automatically slide back to off. Maybe I have to just build one but I'm hoping there's a controller for something out there already, maybe for R/C cars? Any help would be appreciated.

Make your own, or modify something existing?

Apple II joysticks are analog, same with most non-gamepad type PC joysticks. The old gameport controllers are practically worthless these days since the port is legacy and practically unseen on modern systems.

Plenty of options out there, all depends on what look/feel you want.

Hmm, interesting. I'm surprised that there's so little info out there about something like this. I mean, analog pots! This is really that rare? Surely someone has seen them around being used in some sort of controller? Yet if it's not an 8-way joystick it's a goddamn unicorn.

• 5 years later...

Hello, I'm glad to see there are others fans of that game. I intend to build myself the controller using the Lunar Lander arcade service manual found on the internet. Until that is working very wheel for me the baseball arcade controller(is a simple lever linked with the potentiometer and a spring) connected to MAME PC using an analog/digital interface.

It's been a while since I played lunar lander in the arcade. I think the thrust control works better if it doesn't spring back to zero. I don't have anything fancy just analog sticks, digital controls and a mouse. I play lunar lander with the mouse mapped to thrust. It holds thrust which is how I like it. I think a flight throttle controller would be ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

The mouse(digital) is better than digital keys because our hands movements are analog(natural).

Testing "Lunar lander" using a spinner(also digital) was good but you are right,

the flight throttle controller(analog potentiometer) movements are close to the arcade cabinet.

(it is a spring inside the original lander controller, sure you can remove if is more handy for you).

The starting topic was about analog throttle controller,

game playing with the proper controller change the game.

For DIY a Lunar Lander controller using on MAME is necessary:

-one potentiometer(5k 10k 50k 100k)

-analog/digital interface (like the A-PAC from Ultimarc)

-a spring(optional)

-Lunar_Lander_-_1979_-_Atari.pdf (Maintenance and Service Manual)

or modding a PC flight controller(only one potentiometer is necessary)

Edited by coin

• 1 year later...
On 5/13/2019 at 3:54 AM, coin said:

For DIY a Lunar Lander controller using on MAME is necessary:

-one potentiometer(5k 10k 50k 100k)

SO any of the above would work?  I would have thought it would have had to match the arcade game?