IGNORED

Fatal Frame U has been announced

Atariboy

"Tecmo Koei and Nintendo are working together on the next entry in the horror adventure series Fatal Frame for Wii U, the duo announced."

http://gematsu.com/2014/04/new-fatal-frame-announced-wii-u#PE5ALhJfTAipO35s.99

Good news :)

Hopefully the lack of software will all but force Nintendo of America to localize and release this here. And with any luck, the Fatal Frame fans will reward the move and even give Nintendo reason to reconsider the two Wii entries down the road (even if it's just for future Virtual Console fodder instead of something more ambitious like a HD remastered double pack of both for the Wii U).

At the very least if this arrives and does well, it should secure the domestic release of a future sequel.

Edited by Atariboy

Oh yes!!

I do have reservations about Tecmo Koei though. To put it bluntly....they suck.

I'm too much of a fan of Fatal Frame though so I'll definitely keep my eyes on this but I will have to read reviews and wait on it. Simply put....they (Tecmo Koei) screwed me over one too many times lately but its my fault for paying release prices for their games.

Also what happened to the Yakuza remake??

Very cool. This is the ideal kind of game for the Wii U gamepad. You basically have a camera screen in the palm of your hands. Imagine being able to see things on the gamepad screen that aren't on your TV (i.e., ghosts). That would be pretty cool. I might invest in a copy of this if it's released over here. I have yet to play a Fatal Frame game, but I hear I have missed out. Maybe this will be the ideal time to first experience it.

• Like 2

Very cool. This is the ideal kind of game for the Wii U gamepad. You basically have a camera screen in the palm of your hands. Imagine being able to see things on the gamepad screen that aren't on your TV (i.e., ghosts). That would be pretty cool. I might invest in a copy of this if it's released over here. I have yet to play a Fatal Frame game, but I hear I have missed out. Maybe this will be the ideal time to first experience it.

This is one of the first things that popped in my head when I saw the gamepad. I was thinking of a Silent Hill type game, but Fatal Frame would be perfect.

Hopefully it doesn't share the fate of the remake of Fatal Frame 2. It was all translated into English by Nintendo's European division, the release schedule on the Wii was extremely thin by the time summer 2012 rolled by, and the original three entries were successful in North America and saw multiple print runs. But Nintendo of America still let the opportunity slip by despite the logic of it.

I could half understand leaving Fatal Frame 4 in Japan when the Wii was thriving since it would've required a localization and there were doubts about how well it would perform in North America. But the work, for all intents and purposes, was already done with FF2.

Seems a waste to at least not commission a modest production run to test the waters.

I wish XSeed would've gotten it.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think the Wii U is region locked so.....unless they release this here we will have to do it ourselves again.

Yakuza will never arrive in the states just because people didnt buy it in Japan (they stupidly released it on the PS3 first so everyone owned that copy already):

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/08/yakuza_1_and_2_hd_reportedly_sells_less_than_2000_copies_in_debut_week

Nintendo is starting to piss me off again with the lack of North America support.

Thats right all we want to play are Mario games and bathe in nostalgia.

:mad:

Even if it wasn't region locked, it would have to be translated really to be enjoyed.

So hopefully Nintendo of America localizes it and releases it. Was easy enough to work around with the Wii's two Fatal Frames thanks to a translation patch for Fatal Frame 4 and the Homebrew Channel to lift region locking on the Fatal Frame 2 remake. But no such guarantee that homebrewers could again make such a thing happen with this latest entry.

Edited by Atariboy

• 1 month later...

That looks cool. But kill ghosts with camera and heard lots of cocky cocky being said.

The merican version will be a little boy taking pictures of his single moms night on the town with his iphone 3. Thus frightening the wall mart photo lab developers to death with images a man poking at a beanbag full of sabre tooth crotch crickets.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Nintendo sure is putting their marketing muscle behind Fatal Frame 5. Not a mention in their E3 Direct, nor in this new Twitter post.

CHuxWOiWoAAc54j.jpg

Anyways, here's their new YouTube trailer for it.

[VIDEO]
[/VIDEO]

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Too bad there wasn't such a thing as Nintendo Canada, since maybe they'd wise up and offer it up at retail if the Redmond arm of Nintendo decides to be stupid.

While I'll begrudgingly support them, I'm going to do an awful lot of whining if paying $60 on the eShop is my only option. There are very few franchises where I'd ever consider such a thing. Happily, at least I have the storage room for it since I bet I have at least 25 gigs free right now.

At the very end of the last Treehouse presentation at E3, they played this for a few minutes. So not much where coverage is concerned, but at least it got some air time at the very end of Nintendo's E3 coverage, even if it wasn't in the Direct like it should've been (Why ignore a good looking game on a platform with such a slim lineup as this one has?).

Didn't watch much, since gameplay videos don't really do justice to this series and I want to experience it all 1st hand. But it does look pretty good.

Edited by Atariboy

Screw that. I'm not supporting that nonsense.

And sadly, their idiocy is likely just going to convince them that they were right all along to ignore this franchise.

First, they localize a stupid DS spin-off that stunk, for their first attempt at it instead of one of the Wii games that people actually wanted. And now they're not only going to make sure that both arms are tied behind its back with this release by all but ignoring it, but now they're going to lop them off by making it be an eShop exclusive.

Then, they're going to wonder why the fans that spoke out so much over the years ignored this one...

I wish Tecmo hadn't done this to this fine franchise.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

According to NeoGaf, this is about 16 gigs. Makes it stink all the more somehow.

I hope it receives a retail release in the UK at least, assuming the logical assumption that has been made here is correct for North America.

Importing a Wii U isn't a far fetched idea someday down the road when prices drop substantially, thanks to standardized HD video standards and the fact that the UK and NTSC power supplies for the Wii U have a common plug and output the same. The only difference is with the power supplies themselves, reportedly.

And it would be nice to have a spare gamepad, since I see that being an issue as these age in the years to come. So I just might skip this download and keep my eyes out on a good deal on an import Wii U.

Edited by Atariboy