IGNORED

5.25" floppy storage

arcadeshopper

I was wondering if anyone has a inexpensive solution for long term storage of floppy disks. My 100 disk boxes I've had since the 80s are not as nice as they once were with all the moves and such hinges broke, latches not holding, lids fall off..

Would really like to find something that is seal-able (to keep out moisture and dust) and can hold 50-100 disks. (have about 600-900 disks!) or even better something stand alone like a rolling file cabinet that would store them safely..

Anyone? I stumble across actual disk boxes once in a blue moon at goodwill..but that's few and far between. I went to storables and they had a box that "almost" works, but it is too thin to hold disks in the envelopes.. great for storing my bulk blank disks but not for the archives.. The box really needs to be 6"h x 6"w x ?"l to work.. this is like 5.4"w....

Greg

Hi Greg,

Sorry ,I know my solution is NOT what you want to hear, but to be honest with you I see the best two solutions being...

(SOLUTION 1) or (SOLUTION 2). Of course these both require a little time and effort with DSK2PC, but the data would be protected from potential degradation and future loss which can easily happen in the old format. Storage space and expense would no longer be an issue either. Now if you don't like that route these look good, but as you say you need MULTIPLES, which seems to be an issue.

Sorry... but good luck!

I've stored nearly 5,000 (and counting!) floppies in rubbermaid sweater boxes for the past 30 years. At last count 7 disks are faulty. They're as good as new. If I had to move or ship them for some reason, I'd temporarily repack them in much more protective and voluminous boxes with added padding.

5.25" disks are about the same size as CDs, so how about this:

https://de.hama.com/00078379/hama-cd-rom-alu-file-box-160-silver

https://de.hama.com/00078359/hama-cd-rom-aluminium-file-box-300-silver

quite expensive, but look alot better than the 30+ years old plastic boxes in my basement.

If I can find these locally, I'll give it a try.

CD's are thinner than floppy disks.. so ymmv

Hi Greg,

Sorry ,I know my solution is NOT what you want to hear, but to be honest with you I see the best two solutions being...

(SOLUTION 1) or (SOLUTION 2). Of course these both require a little time and effort with DSK2PC, but the data would be protected from potential degradation and future loss which can easily happen in the old format. Storage space and expense would no longer be an issue either. Now if you don't like that route these look good, but as you say you need MULTIPLES, which seems to be an issue.

Sorry... but good luck!

Already done that :) Wish I could find like 10 of those drawers.. maybe 15.. ;) I'm keeping the media.. and backing it up

Greg

• Like 1

CD's are thinner than floppy disks.. so ymmv

This. I bought some media containers from Container Store which hold DVDs, CDs, and VHS tapes with the intention of storing 5 1/4" disks and CDs. I can fit the disks in there, but I have to slide them in side-up. I will put up some photos tonight or tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

This. I bought some media containers from Container Store which hold DVDs, CDs, and VHS tapes with the intention of storing 5 1/4" disks and CDs. I can fit the disks in there, but I have to slide them in side-up. I will put up some photos tonight or tomorrow.

I use this plastic CD box:

http://www.amazon.com/Innovera-39502-Storage-Holds-Disks/dp/B001HA0KZ2/

It works a treat. Floppies fit perfectly standing up with sleeves on, no problems. Most useful purchase for my TI so far.

• Like 1