IGNORED

Is there a Dropzone Conversion for 5200?

funknflow5200

There would be a lot of work involved in getting Dropzone (which required 48k to run on the Atari 400/800/etc computers) to run on an Atari 5200 (16k) console. Someone who could do this work - would probably be more interested in working on their own project instead....

I cannot even begin to guess how many hours it may involve? As I am no programmer.

Dropzone is ultimately the best 'Defender' game running on A8 bit hardware .... I have not played the 5200 Defender - but my guess is, it totally outclasses it easily...

Theoretcially most games that run on a 48K computer might be convertable to the 5200. But in most cases a very involved process. Move anything that can be altered to the first 16K. And probably move some stuff already there out to make room for it.

With modern-day reverse-engineering tools the job can be made a whole bunch easier. Still, potentially dozens of hours worth of work though.

• 2 years later...

You are the man! Looking forward to trying this out!!!

+1 :thumbsup:

Just added it to my AtariMax, but won't be able to try it out until this weekend. - Thanks!

Okay...I had to try this and the game is great! Only played one quick game, but I love the sound your Spaceman makes when he literally explodes.

Great Game...thanks for the ROM Wrathchild.

post-21941-0-69435100-1487004540_thumb.jpg post-21941-0-56496200-1487004554_thumb.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008

On the 5200 game ROM can go up to 32K and the RAM is 16K and that equals 48K! The 16K ram is used for RUNNING the game, variables, scores, graphic data and such!

Most games that "require" 48K in the computer is so the game code can sit in 32K of space and the 16K of RAM is left for RUNNING the game.

The 32K space in RAM is treated like a ROM!

If I remember right, an Atari 400 with 8K of RAM would run Star Raiders with no problem!

Edited by SoundGammon
  • Like 2

If I remember right, an Atari 400 with 8K of RAM would run Star Raiders with no problem!

In performing one of the other conversions (Jet Boot Jack) to the 5200, it had the added benefit of then being able to take what was a 32KB title on the A8 platforms and make it a 16K cartridge that could run on a machine with 16K RAM :)

yep, 32k not 64k. So i can't run it. unless i upgrade.

Shoot, looks like I'm in the same boat. Attempting to load it on the 128-in-1 flash cart results in "Error loading rom "Dropzone5200.bin" for slot #14, ROM size of 65536 bytes is not a supported"

Bummer, but the conversion is still good news for owners of the Ultimate cart. Hope to upgrade myself one of these days.

Yoomp? hehe

Definitely. That would definitely drive someone to upgrade their 5200 with a Stereo POKEY board. Throw in Trak-Ball support and that game would seriously rock on the 5200.

Now I'd say another great game deserving of conversion shares your same user name... XEGS Crossbow. Mod it so it can use the Trak-Ball since light guns are essentially impossible on the 5200 without some serious hardware upgrades to the mobo.