IGNORED

Js99'er

Asmusr

• 9 months later...

Night of the Creepers - when trying to play this from the js99er website, I keep getting a PRESS ALPHA LOCK UP message on the SELECT DIFFICULTY screen. No matter what I do on my keyboard (Caps Lock on or off) or on the keyboard tab of the emulator (clicking on alpha lock), it will not get past this screen. Is there some trick to get this to work?

• 4 months later...

JS99'er version 6.0 now has the ability to save the exact state of the emulator to the browser's local database (as always nothing is saved on the server) and restore it again very quickly. It also works after you have shut down the browser and opened it again. The emulator had Save a Restore buttons before but those were only for disks and they have now been moved to the Options panel where they cover the full state.

You can use this feature just to save your location or to cheat in games. For debugging you can use it to get back to a particular test condition or to inspect the detailed state, e.g the F18A registers. In Chrome and Firefox you can inspect the contents of the state by pressing F12 to open the browser's console and then check under Application/Indexed DB or Storage/Indexed DB. You can even edit the state before you load it back.

• Like 6

Hi again,

something strange on my computer maybe....

If I say LIST and stop that listing with ALT-4, my keyboard gets somehow confused

(no characters shown on key-press, and "Unrecognized Character"-messages on -> Enter),

Is this my Java version maybe ? (Is JS99er running on Java at all ?)

So I have to toggle between the "Disk" "Tape" & "Keyboard"-menu some times,

to get back normals keys... (but works, so this is OK for me)

thx

EDIT: I also have to klick on the keyboard picture on the right side.

EDIT2: I only have to switch to the keyboard menu and to click on a letter 2 or 3 times.

then the physical keyboards is back OK.

post-41141-0-67653800-1518982128_thumb.jpg

Edited by Schmitzi

JS99'er is not using Java at all. It is programmed in JavaScript a.k.a. ECMA script, which is a language built into the browser.

The keyboard emulation is difficult to get right and I know other people are having problems. The safest is to turn off the options "PC keyboard enabled" and "Map arrow keys to Fctn+SDEX enabled", but I always have them on myself. The PC Keyboard option is especially useful if you have a non-English keyboard because the TI keys are remapped to your keyboard. In this mode FCTN-4 is mapped to F4.

• Like 1

JS99'er is not using Java at all. It is programmed in JavaScript a.k.a. ECMA script, which is a language built into the browser.

The keyboard emulation is difficult to get right and I know other people are having problems. The safest is to turn off the options "PC keyboard enabled" and "Map arrow keys to Fctn+SDEX enabled", but I always have them on myself. The PC Keyboard option is especially useful if you have a non-English keyboard because the TI keys are remapped to your keyboard. In this mode FCTN-4 is mapped to F4.

hmmm, I have both of them OFF..... (is this standard, as I never changed anything?)

but no problem, as I know that I just have to do some clicks to the keyboard picture on the right side ;)

Hi, I have a question (what else :D )

Looking to the .WMA-files that I have ripped from cassettes, and converted to .WAV for the use with the emulators:

i.e. a freshly ripped .WMA is 589KB of size, and I (artificially?) blow them up to 8.055KB (8MB) with a tool....

This is a lot of space, also a big difference when uploading.

What is this for, where does this mass of data "win" came from or was generated by ?

If this is not a problem or issue of my tool (Nero WaveEditor),

isn´t it possible for emulators to do this job on the fly, to save much much space and bandwith ?

thx

example

Ripped WMA (had to ZIP because of AA):

Dilithium-32-Progs-XB--04-Loan.WMA.zip

"Converted" WAV:

Dilithium-32-Progs-XB--04-Loan.wav

One thing I recognized on JS99er yesterday, when I first time converted the Dilithium is:

If I use/upload a big WAV file - i.e.18 MB - coming from a 1 MB .WMA :) )

then I have to wait about a minute before I can go on with "OLD CS1" (there is no indicator where I can see the file is "ready for use")

Otherwise I get the typical error the TI shows on bad tapes (Press E for Exit a.s.o.)

The other thing is, if the message "PRESS STOP bla" is shown on the screen, and if I click "Stop" on the panel,

to press Enter in the Screen afterwards, this does not work. I get a 2nd "Press Stop" on the screen, and an "I/O ERROR 00"

I can workaround this with, uploading the file (I have slow internet here) and wait a minute or 2, and then say "OLD CS1" a.s.o.

but a 100% solution is NOT to click the "STOP"-button on the right side, BUT just to press Enter in the screen.

This works every time. So my best way is just to ignore the Stop-Button.

( Maybe a small green indicator-LED in the "STOP"-button can solve or just show that ? )

post-41141-0-32944600-1519074141_thumb.jpg

3rd thought. ( yes, now I am here :-D )

Yesterday I was a bit lazy with ripping and converting and uploading and and and....

so I had the (not so good) idea just to rip the whole cassette (both sides) in ONE go, into one .WAV at the end.

Yes, I gave him much time after uploading the 276MB to JS99er, befor the first use, I think this was OK.

Then I did the first "OLD CS1", for the first track/file on tape, and it was fine. I SAVE DSK1.xyz it successfully.

Then I just continued with the next files on tape (WAVs), doing the same. So far so good.

But near the end of the tape (WAV), there was a Data Error (you remember the quality of my rip :) )

and this was the end of the big 276 MB party.... :-o

I pressed rewind, thinking it jumps back just one "track", but it walked back to the beginning of the whole WAV, to the 1st entry.

There was no possibility to quickly go/jump fast forward the one of the latest tracks....

As there is no FORWard-button, it was too much for me and I just began a new rip, file by file from the tape, with single WAVs....

This worked fine, but it was much more clickery of course

Is it possible maybe to have a REWind and a FORWard with this nice squeezy sound of the turbo running tape player,

and maybe as given on DVD-players, a "jump"-button to fly just ONE track forward or backward (to the silent passages between the tracks)?

Just an idea :)

thanks

As I save my registertabs in Firefox when I close it, to get them back at next start,

this morning - with my first coffee - I suddenly had the beloved TI-99 startup screen beep ♫♪

strangely coming from the background.

In the first moment, I was very surprised and wondering very much ;-) :lust: :lust:

This is amazing ! I am awake now :D

• Like 1

Looking to the .WMA-files that I have ripped from cassettes, and converted to .WAV for the use with the emulators:

i.e. a freshly ripped .WMA is 589KB of size, and I (artificially?) blow them up to 8.055KB (8MB) with a tool....

This is a lot of space, also a big difference when uploading.

What is this for, where does this mass of data "win" came from or was generated by ?

If this is not a problem or issue of my tool (Nero WaveEditor),

isn´t it possible for emulators to do this job on the fly, to save much much space and bandwith ?

WMA usually handles audio using lossy compression. WAV do not.

Audio signals that are deemed to be imperceptible to the human ear are encoded with reduced resolution during the compression process. This may not be good for data through CS1 and the TI-99/4A. There may even be differences between individual hardware and emulators.

To secure best results, save as WAV from within a ripping program. Also output levels (volume and bass, treble etc.) from your cassette-recorder and input levels may have to be adjusted to get acceptable data through. Try with the levels in a middle position.

;)

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 2

Yes, but not knowing nothing I did it quick & dirty and for a first try I just used the Windows7 onboard audiorecorder,

which offers .WMA only..... and this at volume level 8, and blowing up to .WAV worked very fine, without errors.

Maybe the import/recognition by JS99er is so good.

But OK, if it is safer to have .WAV in general, then it should be. I just wondered about the good result by generating WMAs

And I should find a tool to rip .WAVs in the first step.

• Like 1

Yes, but not knowing nothing I did it quick & dirty and for a first try I just used the Windows7 onboard audiorecorder,

which offers .WMA only..... and this at volume level 8, and blowing up to .WAV worked very fine, without errors.

Maybe the import/recognition by JS99er is so good.

But OK, if it is safer to have .WAV in general, then it should be. I just wondered about the good result by generating WMAs

And I should find a tool to rip .WAVs in the first step.

Well, if it works for you. And if JS99er accepts it on your setup, then there's a good chance your WMA should work fine for others too. Also try not to belch while recording. ;)

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 2

Is it possible maybe to have a REWind and a FORWard with this nice squeezy sound of the turbo running tape player,

and maybe as given on DVD-players, a "jump"-button to fly just ONE track forward or backward (to the silent passages between the tracks)?

I did start out with a forward button, but I removed it because i couldn't see any use for it with single program files. But if you use whole tapes then I guess it would make sense. And the "squeezy" sound would be fun to make.

• Like 1