IGNORED

Best way to maintain or restore case finish?

It seems that the Atari XE 8-bit computers and most ST computers from the first up through the Mega STe line all suffer from having the plastic case yellowing with age. It doesn't seem to matter how the units are stored. The cases just tend to darken and yellow with age. Some do, some don't, but most seem to darken at least a slight bit, even if stored in a dark, cool environment. Is anyone aware of any method of restoring the finish/coloring of the case once this has happened? If not, what would seem to be the best storage methods to keep this from happening, or at least minimizing it?

Thanks.

- Byron

It's true they do gradually start to go yellow again. I did an Amiga 1200 12 months ago and it's still pretty white to be fair. With my STFM I've just left it as is - a greeny sort of colour as it's totally even and looks fine. Strangely my STe is still like new - must be a different type of plastic...

• 9 months later...

Bit of a bump, but was so impressed by the condition of this 1040STF when I dug it out of the spare room, I had to share.

post-21964-0-89606500-1424385923_thumb.jpg

No Retr0Brite required here: not a trace of discolouration anywhere on the case or keyboard, apart from a tiny yellowed area around the cart port (which presumably experienced some prolonged exposure to direct sunlight). But it is absolutely sparkling following a good wash in soapy water. I'm pleased not to have to subject it to Peroxide, given the dire re-yellowing some other machines have experienced following treatment. I can only assume the amount of fire retardant in the plastic used by Atari varied widely from one batch to the next. This one should be good for another thirty years.