IGNORED

Pink Panther - What is the latest news.

SpaceDice2010

Are we ever going to get to play it some day?

Funny as we're wondering the same in the Colecovision scene :)

You guys didn't order yours yet? I sent $500 to some guy named Backin89 for a copy…he seemed legit:

post-29022-0-85310600-1398648077_thumb.jpg

:P

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I bought one of those reproduction copies on eBay a couple years ago for the specific intention of opening it, dumping it, and releasing the rom. Paid a pretty penny for it as well.

Only to find that the damn thing was put on a Melody board by the powers that be, specifically to prevent that very thing, whereby keeping the game vaulted.

So it just sits in my case with the other odds & ends in my collection. Shame too, as it really is a very graphically impressive game.

I'm sure someone will chime in, but there was legitimate reasons iirc for using the Melody board so it could even have repros made...

I vaguely recall hearing that it used 64 bytes of extra RAM, though I don't recall where I heard that. A quick search of Stella's source turns up 2 cartridge formats that add 64 bytes of RAM, CTY and WD:

post-3056-0-39285300-1457801591_thumb.png

CTY is the bankswitch scheme was developed by Chris D. Walton for Chetiry.

I'm not familiar with WD, but per the comments in Stella it stands for Wickstead Design. Per AtariProto's page on Pursuit of the Pink Panther, Jim Wickstead was involved with the game.

A search on "Wickstead Design" here at AtariAge shows it was added to version 4.5 of Stella:

* Added preliminary support for 'WD' (Wickstead Design) bankswitching scheme, used for a previously unreleased prototype ROM.

So it seems highly likely that WD is for the Pink Panther prototype. Reading the comments in Stella reveal it to be a rather unusual bankswitch format - the ROM is 8195 bytes in size - 3 bytes more than a normal 8K cartridge. The extra 3 bytes are sometimes mapped in, sometimes not. All in all both the unusual size of extra RAM and the extra 3 bytes of ROM make for a format that would require the use of the Melody board.

Comments in Stella:

This is the cartridge class for a "Wickstead Design" prototype cart.
  The ROM is normally 8K, but sometimes has an extra 3 bytes appended,
  to be mapped as described below.  There is also 64 bytes of RAM.
  In this bankswitching scheme the 2600's 4K cartridge address space 
  is broken into four 1K segments.  The desired arrangement of 1K slices
  is selected by accessing $30 - $3F of TIA address space.  The slices
  are mapped into all 4 segments at once as follows:

$0030: 0,0,1,2
    $0031: 0,1,3,2
    $0032: 4,5,6,7
    $0033: 7,4,3,2
    $0034: 0,0,6,7
    $0035: 0,1,7,6
    $0036: 3,2,4,5
    $0037: 6,0,5,1
    $0038: 0,0,1,2
    $0039: 0,1,3,2
    $003A: 4,5,6,7
    $003B: 7,4,3,2
    $003C: 0,0,6,7*
    $003D: 0,1,7,6*
    $003E: 3,2,4,5*
    $003F: 6,0,5,1*

In the last 4 cases, the extra 3 bytes of ROM past the 8K boundary are
  mapped into $3FC - $3FE of the uppermost (third) segment.

The 64 bytes of RAM are accessible at $1000 - $103F (read port) and
  $1040 - $107F (write port).  Because the RAM takes 128 bytes of address
  space, the range $1000 - $107F of segment 0 ROM will never be available.
  • Like 1

A search of the internet for "Pink Panther Wickstead Design" turned up A Closer Look: Pursuit of the Pink Panther over at 2600 Connection.

It mentions 2K of RAM, not 64 bytes - perhaps the cartridge was wired up to only access a subset of the 2K of RAM, or perhaps they misread the RAM part numbers for their closer look.

A search of the internet for "Pink Panther Wickstead Design" turned up A Closer Look: Pursuit of the Pink Panther over at 2600 Connection.

It mentions 2K of RAM, not 64 bytes - perhaps the cartridge was wired up to only access a subset of the 2K of RAM, or perhaps they misread the RAM part numbers for their closer look.

There is no RAM part number, it was made with a custom chip, that contains the game and RAM (kind of like CBS's RAM+ chip). Probably one of the reasons it was never released.

• Like 1

There is no RAM part number, it was made with a custom chip, that contains the game and RAM (kind of like CBS's RAM+ chip). Probably one of the reasons it was never released.

The amount of work aside, I wonder if it could be fixed to use standard SRAM or a SARA chip instead?

The amount of work aside, I wonder if it could be fixed to use standard SRAM or a SARA chip instead?

SARA is only 128 bytes and SRAM requires a R/W line and a CLK signal, which is not present on a 2600 (or a 5200 for that matter).

SARA is only 128 bytes and SRAM requires a R/W line and a CLK signal, which is not present on a 2600 (or a 5200 for that matter).

Does it use 2K, or 64 bytes like Stella has for WD. Of course my suspicion that WD is for Pink Panther could be incorrect.

Does it use 2K, or 64 bytes like Stella has for WD. Of course my suspicion that WD is for Pink Panther could be incorrect.

I do not know, I didn't reverse engineer it. I think I heard 2K, but I don't know how much of it is used.

I do not know, I didn't reverse engineer it. I think I heard 2K, but I don't know how much of it is used.

So...was I given misinformation then?

I was told you were the one who assembled that run of carts. Made sense to me as you & Wonder007 are most often the ones involved with these things.

I was told you were the one who assembled that run of carts. Made sense to me as you & Wonder007 are most often the ones involved with these things.

Partial misinformation and I doubt you will get the info you want as it's nobodies business but those who where directly involved.

Yes, and Wonder007 had nothing to do with it either. All speculation. We designed the damn labels, so a few people could enjoy this game. Even doing good gets you crucified for no reason these days. I have access to a bunch of protos that can be reproduced, unlike PP, but I am not, because all I ever get is bullshit. All it will do is hurt the people wanting to play things that collectors pay assloads of money for. Kind of like all the protos you are not willing to release.

Yes, and Wonder007 had nothing to do with it either. All speculation. We designed the damn labels, so a few people could enjoy this game. Even doing good gets you crucified for no reason these days. I have access to a bunch of protos that can be reproduced, unlike PP, but I am not, because all I ever get is bullshit. All it will do is hurt the people wanting to play things that collectors pay assloads of money for. Kind of like all the protos you are not willing to release.

Well I am kind of curious and at the risk of being totally ignored do the pair of you own any prototypes that we all believed were vapor ware (such as Incredible Hulk and Choplifter which Supergun mentioned not so long ago) or are your prototypes just variations on the ones we already know?

Well I am kind of curious and at the risk of being totally ignored do the pair of you own any prototypes that we all believed were vapor ware (such as Incredible Hulk and Choplifter which Supergun mentioned not so long ago) or are your prototypes just variations on the ones we already know?

Well that is a surprise (NOT!) Just goes to show that those with the goods have no intention of sharing even knowledge of what they possess. I just guess certain questions are too scary for some people to answer

Well that is a surprise (NOT!) Just goes to show that those with the goods have no intention of sharing even knowledge of what they possess. I just guess certain questions are too scary for some people to answer

See what I mean?

• Like 1