IGNORED

XB Game Developers Package

senior_falcon

Thank you for checking that out, Tursi! That was a thorough video showing everything.

SAVE DSK2.TEST-M.MERGE

This will be in the proper format (i.e. a comma and not a period before the merge) if you use the autocomplete. As I said earlier, you pretty much just keep pressing enter until the job is done.

When using the Horizon RAM disk I discovered this quirk:

When using a Horizon Ram disk you may happen to SAVE DSK3.TEST/M without the MERGE. If you do this you will discover that you cannot then SAVE DSK3.TEST/M,MERGE without first doing DELETE "DSK3.TEST/M"

I don't think that is a problem with a normal TI disk setup but it would be easy enough to check.

EDIT - Just checked this and it works properly. SAVE DSK3.TEST/M saves as a program. You can OLD DSK3.TEST/M but you cannot MERGE it.

If you then SAVE DSK3.TEST/M,MERGE the file is replaced with a merge format file. Now you can't OLD DSK3.TEST/M but you can MERGE DSK3.TEST/M

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 1

Sorry for the long delay.

I have been unable to duplicate the original issue.

That is... After globally changing the security setting in Windows 10.

I wanted to use everything for a bit to make sure it was all good.

I compiled Aperture and it runs, but I don't know how to play?

Is it keyboard or joystick controlled? I tried a lot of combos with no luck.

Thanks for all the help. And to Bill G. kiss.... Not what you were thinking... keep it simple....No, you were right.

You are welcome! It doesn't sound like you know exactly what you did to get things working, but can you at least post what you think fixed the problem.

The second question is: Do you have problems running XB256 (not compiled) using cpu overdrive? Give that a good workout and let me know how it goes.

For Aperture on Classic99:

Use the left, right, up or down arrow keys to move the player. Left+up or right+up and you can jump over objects.

If you press Q simultaneously with left, right, up or down you can shoot an aperture (portal) into the gray wall.

If you enter an aperture you emerge at the other one.

If you get to the door you emerge at the next level.

Yes, it is a little puzzling. I am a local admin.

However, I set the system user to full control and that seemed to fix most issues.

The next piece may have been a little more lucky. You talked about having to do a save before a merge save.

My Bad Value errors ( I believe ) go away if I do a save after loading. Otherwise I get Bad Value in line XXX.

In the Debugger window it show Buffer overflow. This seems to go away if do OLD DSK2.TEST and then SAVE DSK2.TEST2

After that, the bad value messages go away and the buffer overflow message in the debugger go away for the most part. I am new to the debugger and don't know what to look for or expect?

I want to give Aperture a try. To late tonight though.

Oh sorry, forgot to talk xb256

My current project does not use xb256. Though that will most likely change.

I do have another project that is close to complete that uses several xb256 features. I will pick that back up after my current project.

I am somewhat motivated on the new one. It had been a while for that. So I want to keep working on it until a hit a block or whatever.

It is almost impossible to ignore xb256 at this point, if you are using XB. Well, I think so anyway.

After that, the bad value messages go away and the buffer overflow message in the debugger go away for the most part. I am new to the debugger and don't know what to look for or expect?

The first rule of the debugger is to be specific! "buffer overflow" is probably "DAC Buffer overflow..." - the distinction is very important. This is just Classic99 warning that its internal audio buffer for playing back digitized sounds is being filled by the 9900 CPU faster than it's being drained by the code which feeds audio to Windows - and that's normal in CPU overdrive because the CPU is overclocked and my code doesn't take it into account. It has NOTHING to do with ANY kind of code execution, it just affects what you might hear and is a warning to me to do something about it. ;)

The fact that saving has an effect is almost certainly an "observer effect"... I can't think of any reason in the emulator or the TI system why that would make a difference - and as you see in my video, I didn't need to. There's nothing wrong with this - it's normal when you are trying to learn patterns in a new fault to seize on things you see. The trick is to figure out what kind of test would prove or disprove the theory.

Ultimately, though, the important part is to be having fun! ;)

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 1

Using Classic99 or TIdir99 for extended periods of times like over 10 hours I have noticed problems, either from Windows 10 or the app itself, unknown which is the source.

In TIDir99 some folder or DSK will just become unable to read or selected from menu and odd errors like ALREADY IN USE or CAN NOT FIND DISK: Solution shut down and restart TIDir99

In Classic99 I get cursor that just keep repeating itself on screen of RXB or REA and FCTN 4 can sometimes stop it but after that some part of what I loaded just becomes invisible.

Example I load a new RXB GRAM 6 and those Subprograms do not exist? Or screen just goes bonkers after I type a command and enter.

Example I keep 1 Classic99 on screen only to run GPL Assembler and nothing else but will rarely just lock up with a DSR error, now if I start up another Classic99 and do exactly the same it works fine?

These are not real major issues as I have lost nothing and restarting TIDir99 or Classic99 is not a real issue, but reloading everything is kind of a slight pain to get back where I was previously.

I suspect this is the result of something in Windows dealing with apps in general as same type of problems occurs with some other apps like VLC or 7Zip or Games.

In Classic99 I get cursor that just keep repeating itself on screen of RXB or REA and FCTN 4 can sometimes stop it but after that some part of what I loaded just becomes invisible.

Example I load a new RXB GRAM 6 and those Subprograms do not exist? Or screen just goes bonkers after I type a command and enter.

I would guess the Classic99 one is more of a TI-side corruption issue -- the fact that it's the /TI/ that crashes and not /Classic99/ strongly points to it not being a Windows issue. One thing you can try - when you start up for the first time and get to the point where you enter that command, use the debugger to 'dump memory'. Save the files off - then later when it goes bonkers, breakpoint and dump memory again. Comparing the two dumps might provide some insight - you might find a stack pointer has gone out of range or similar - could be a simple leak that just takes 10 hours to see.

And of course, as always, see if MESS does the same thing. That's the equivalent of trying it on someone else's machine. (Although I understand that a long term workflow is harder to move around).

Unfortunately these are complex ecosystems - we have the host machine, the host OS, the emulator, and then the complex software running IN the emulator (be it RXB or XB256). And they ALL need to be working correctly. :)

I suspect this is the result of something in Windows dealing with apps in general as same type of problems occurs with some other apps like VLC or 7Zip or Games.

Hmm.. although, if the corruption is that widespread - especially after time - you might just have had a RAM chip go bad, or be dealing with overheats. Check whether all the fans in your PC are still operating smoothly, vents and cooling fins are not blocked with dust, and see whether you can test the RAM chips (either by removing one at a time, if you can, or swapping them out). Again... long term intermittent problems are the worst. :/

• Like 2

Hmm.. although, if the corruption is that widespread - especially after time - you might just have had a RAM chip go bad, or be dealing with overheats. Check whether all the fans in your PC are still operating smoothly, vents and cooling fins are not blocked with dust, and see whether you can test the RAM chips (either by removing one at a time, if you can, or swapping them out). Again... long term intermittent problems are the worst. :/

Well as this has happened on 4 different computer OS and 3 different computers brands it is not the computer vents or cooling. (i.e. HP, Dell, Mac Pro under Windows 10 and Windows 7)

And as I have 2 or 3 Classic99 running at same time and one crashes but I do exactly the same on the other ones, but does not crash it is not my Code doing it.

This has to be a 100% Windows dealing with a app or the app itself. Which I doubt is the problem as why only 1 app crashed but others are fine.

Again it is freaking Windows that is the problem.

P.S. I have a AC in the window 3 feet away so Heat could not possibly be the issue as my hands are cold and I have to wear a sweater while it is 97 out side now.

Edited by RXB

are you sure you didn't install a Myarc card, sans heat sinks, in your PC? ;)

My Mac Pro has 9 FANS! It even has a built in fan for the Hard drives, and 2 that service the motherboard, than the Water cooler fan, 2 on the power supply and the rest case fans.

Sadly, I too have been noticing some funny behavior from Classic99. I have seen this repeating cursor before. Last night it happened again. When I typed CALL LINK("A Classic99 took over and started entering "P" until it got to the last position. I got into the debugger and there was nothing of interest there. I thought it might be some funny business with the interrupt routine, but >83C4 was set to zero.

Could it be there is something wrong with "paste" or "paste XB"? Eventually it returned control to me with the cursor in the final position. I don't know whether I pressed Esc which cancels "paste", or if it just happened by itself.

(edit) I don't think this is a problem with paste. Paste does not put text on the screen one character at a time like this does.

Sometimes there is funny keyboard response such as keystrokes being registered twice. (I don't remember if this happens outside of Classic99) I will try another keyboard just in case the problem lies there.

Edited by senior_falcon

Sadly, I too have been noticing some funny behavior from Classic99. I have seen this repeating cursor before. Last night it happened again. When I typed CALL LINK("A Classic99 took over and started entering "P" until it got to the last position. I got into the debugger and there was nothing of interest there. I thought it might be some funny business with the interrupt routine, but >83C4 was set to zero.

Could it be there is something wrong with "paste" or "paste XB"? Eventually it returned control to me with the cursor in the final position. I don't know whether I pressed Esc which cancels "paste", or if it just happened by itself.

(edit) I don't think this is a problem with paste. Paste does not put text on the screen one character at a time like this does.

Sometimes there is funny keyboard response such as keystrokes being registered twice. (I don't remember if this happens outside of Classic99) I will try another keyboard just in case the problem lies there.

From your comment I think the problem lies with STUPID WINDOWS SHORTCUT KEYS. Really one of the DUMBEST CREATIONS OF ALL TIME.

You are typing along and suddenly Windows thinks you did something stupid like pasted a download into your GOOGLE search so now you have GOOGLE Source Code?

Or in this case a endless paste of 4 meg of code that was a download attempting to be pasted into Classic99.

All because you accidently pushed SHIFT CTRL (some key) at same time and all kinds of stupid things are turned on or off.

Edited by RXB

One thing to note - 'Paste XB' modifies scratchpad pointers and is not necessary safe to use outside of the normal XB environment (it hacks a few things to allow longer lines to be entered). I don't know if it conflicts with the magic you do, but be aware. ;)

One thing that's interesting about that observation is that 'P' is the function key for quote... it might be keyboard emulation. That's been pretty stable, but if you can reproduce an exact sequence that trips it up, I can try to do something about it. What I'm seeing is open parenthesis (PC side shift-9, and TI side shift-9), followed by a quote (PC side shift-apostrophe, TI side function-P). I wonder if you're hitting them quick enough, or overlapping them in such a way as to confuse my key ref counting.

Can XB256 DISPLY Integer variables?

I want to take advantage of the 32 column DISPLY command in XB256.

Example in XB

XTR=3

DISPLAY AT(10,1):"EXTRA" :: DISPLAY AT(11,1):XTR

vs

CALL LINK("DISPLY",10,1,EXTRA) :: CALL LINK("DISPLY",11,1,XTR)

DISPLY can only display strings on the screen. To make your example work you have to convert the number into a string with STR$(number). This code for XB256 is the equivalent of the XB DISPLAY AT code but starting in column 1

5 XTR=3
10 CALL LINK("DISPLY",10,1,"EXTRA"):: CALL LINK("DISPLY",11,1,STR$(XTR))

Can XB256 DISPLY Integer variables?

I want to take advantage of the 32 column DISPLY command in XB256.

Example in XB

XTR=3

vs

Hmm an additional problem is XB or TI Basic screen offset of 96.

RXB has a command CALL BIAS(0,STR$) would subtract 96 from each character in string variable.

CALL BIAS(255,STR$) would add 96 to each character in the string.

Using CALL MOVES("V$",200,0,STR$) would move 200 characters off screen into STR$ the string variable, but as it used ADDRESS like CALL VPEEK the offset would be a problem.

DISPLY can only display strings on the screen. To make your example work you have to convert the number into a string with STR$(number). This code for XB256 is the equivalent of the XB DISPLAY AT code but starting in column 1

5 XTR=3
10 CALL LINK("DISPLY",10,1,"EXTRA"):: CALL LINK("DISPLY",11,1,STR$(XTR))

Awesome! Should have thought of that!

As always. Thank you.

Hmm an additional problem is XB or TI Basic screen offset of 96.

RXB has a command CALL BIAS(0,STR$) would subtract 96 from each character in string variable.

CALL BIAS(255,STR$) would add 96 to each character in the string.

Using CALL MOVES("V$",200,0,STR$) would move 200 characters off screen into STR$ the string variable, but as it used ADDRESS like CALL VPEEK the offset would be a problem.

How is the screen offset a problem in the example above?

And why is it that every post has to become an advertisement for RXB???

• Like 2

I feel like a pain...

I am getting an assembler error SYMBOL TRUNCATION. While compiling XB256. I am only using DISPLY so far in this app.

I tried shrinking variable size, but I still get the error. If I remove the DISPLY lines, it compiles in normal XB no errors.

I searched for the error in the docs and in this tread, but didn't get a hit.

How is the screen offset a problem in the example above?

And why is it that every post has to become an advertisement for RXB???

Example in XB

XTR=3

vs

Looks like a SCREEN offset problem to me.

I could be wrong, I do not use XB256 as it is not compatible with RXB just XB.

Sorry you know the Title is XB Game Development Package, I guess it should be titled: XB256 Game Development Package ONLY.

Rather misleading that anyone with anything else can be involved.

This happens often in other threads that get off topic, but I never complained when it happened to me, now why is that?

"Sorry you know the Title is XB Game Development Package, I guess it should be titled: XB256 Game Development Package ONLY.

Rather misleading that anyone with anything else can be involved."

XB and XB256 are part of the the development package, thus, this is the place to ask right?

I have looked at RXB,(not enough most likely) but it is a NEW language to me.

If I were to venture into something new, it would not be on the TI at this point.

I will always love the TI99/4A. My first computer. But It may be time to look at some classic consoles...

• Like 1

I must say, the CALL KEYGOTO I think it is called. Is a command I would use often!

Back in the day, I would have liked all those commands. But I have a hard time remembering the few I use now!

I don't want to look up a command syntax and usage every time I use it. That is on me to LEARN or use it enough to remember.

I am struggling with DISPLY... Cannot be easier than this command, but I still struggle. Then I loose motivation. Then I move on to something else to do in my free time....