XB Game Developers Package

214 replies to this topic

#201 senior_falcon OFFLINE  

senior_falcon

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,108 posts

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:48 PM

This is embarassing. To save a few bytes of memory, I made a change to CALL KEY and broke it.

In RUNTIME2, line 573 in DOLCETTO I have:

MOV @1(R4),@>8374 moves lsb *r4, saves one word

That should be MOVB@1(R4),@>8374

You can use a text editor to change this if you want, or you can wait till tomorrow when I will post a corrected version of DOLCETTO.

#202 senior_falcon OFFLINE  

senior_falcon

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,108 posts

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:42 PM

Reuploaded in post 1 and 194.  DOLCETTO1 has the corrected file.

#203 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,936 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:09 AM

To keep from cluttering up the JetBall thread:

I admit to have not having RTFMed so I apologize if this question is answered there.

Do I understand correctly that this

FOR I=110 TO 400 STEP 10

CALL SOUND(100,I,0)

NEXT I

would be properly compiled into a sound list of 100ms tones sweeping from 110Hz to 400Hz by increments of 10Hz?

#204 unhuman OFFLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• 1,202 posts

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:06 PM

Full instructions are indeed in the manual.  :)

I admit to have not having RTFMed so I apologize if this question is answered there.

FOR I=110 TO 400 STEP 10

CALL SOUND(100,I,0)

NEXT I

would be properly compiled into a sound list of 100ms tones sweeping from 110Hz to 400Hz by increments of 10Hz?

#205 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,936 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:12 PM

Full instructions are indeed in the manual.  :)

I will have to look at it later, then.  While very interesting I am not using it but if I want to collaborate with others who are I should at least familiarize myself with the sound functionality.

BTW, I want to throw out there this kit puts the TI on-par with other computers of the era with their game development kits.  I was musing on the potential of using XBGDP as part of a package similar to SEUCK or Amos.

#206 senior_falcon OFFLINE  

senior_falcon

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,108 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:07 AM

FOR I=110 TO 400 STEP 10

CALL SOUND(100,I,0)

NEXT I

Not quite right. There are two ways to generate sound lists: SLCOMPILER and SLCONVERT.  There are quite a number of pages devoted to this in the docs which I won't repeat here. Be sure you are reading the docs with "Dolcetto".

An example:

10 FOR I=1 TO 4

20 CALL SOUND(100,220,0)::CALL SOUND(100,330,0)::CALL SOUND(100,440,0)

30 NEXT I

SLCOMPILER would make a sound list that would play line 20 four times.

SLCONVERT works differently and could do what you want and more.

10 CALL LABEL("LOOP1")

20 FOR I=110 TO 400 STEP 10::CALL SOUND(100,I,0)::NEXT I

30 CALL LOOP("LOOP1",4)

SLCONVERT would make a sound list that would play the ascending notes in line 20 and they would be played 4 times.

#207 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,936 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:25 PM

Okay, so not so much for tone value sweeps but rather just for looping repeating sections, it appears.  I can still be of service.

#208 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,936 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Yesterday, 8:37 PM

ON BREAK NEXT causes the compiled program to hang.  How do you disable BREAK?

I guess this is not an issue running as an EA5, only when running with the XB loader.

#209 senior_falcon OFFLINE  

senior_falcon

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,108 posts

Posted Today, 6:24 AM

ON BREAK NEXT causes the compiled program to hang.  How do you disable BREAK?

I guess this is not an issue running as an EA5, only when running with the XB loader.

ON BREAK NEXT does not compile to a meaningful instruction.  The next release will give two different ways of running from XB; one with the current ability to BREAK and CON and the other to run as it does in EA5 with no BREAK possible.

Meanwhile, If it bugs you enough this should work (I haven't tested this!): 

The first line of the compiled code should be this:

DEF RUN,CON

Change the RUN to RUNEA and save

Assemble, load and save the program as XB.

Change the XB loader to CALL LINK("RUNEA") and save

(edit) Another way that might work (again, not tested!):

Include CALL LOAD(-31931,64) which should do the same as ON BREAK NEXT

(edit again) I pictured the CALL LOAD being within the program and compiled, but it would work equally well running in BASIC in the one line loader program right after CALL INIT

Edited by senior_falcon, Today, 8:19 AM.

#210 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,936 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Today, 1:36 PM

Since I plan to not use the BASIC loader it is not a big deal.  I thought about that CALL LOAD and it does work.

Now I have another problem.  I am trying to distribute the EA5 copy of the compiled program but it is not working for anyone else.  Is it dependent upon any other files?  The goal is to make a cartridge image of the program.

#211 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts

Posted Today, 2:14 PM

Since I plan to not use the BASIC loader it is not a big deal.  I thought about that CALL LOAD and it does work.

Now I have another problem.  I am trying to distribute the EA5 copy of the compiled program but it is not working for anyone else.  Is it dependent upon any other files?  The goal is to make a cartridge image of the program.

Are you including the F and G files as well?  Because you need to distribute those with the E file. When I compile Night Stalker it creates NSTALKR-E, NSTALKR-F, and NSTALKR-G and if those 3 files aren't in the same directory with one another it doesn't work. 

#212 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,936 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Today, 5:00 PM

Are you including the F and G files as well?  Because you need to distribute those with the E file. When I compile Night Stalker it creates NSTALKR-E, NSTALKR-F, and NSTALKR-G and if those 3 files aren't in the same directory with one another it doesn't work. 

Ah, there is an -F file for mine.  I had not seen that, thank you.

Okay, I just tried and it is still not working.  I put the -E and -F file on the DSK and I still get an ERROR 7 when trying to run it.  Using the Classic99 debugger I find it is looking for a -G file but one does not exist.  I will have to keep playing.

#213 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,936 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Today, 5:13 PM

I am completely at a loss.  If I run the -E file as FIAD from the compiler directory it loads the -F but does not search for a -G.  If I copy those files to another directory or a DSK image it tries to load a -G and fails out.  Anyone got any idea on this one?

#214 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,936 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Today, 6:59 PM

Never mind.  I figured out I had crossed up between two different versions of the compile.  I have it working, now :)

#215 senior_falcon OFFLINE  

senior_falcon

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,108 posts

Posted Today, 7:00 PM

I am completely at a loss.  If I run the -E file as FIAD from the compiler directory it loads the -F but does not search for a -G.  If I copy those files to another directory or a DSK image it tries to load a -G and fails out.  Anyone got any idea on this one?

I have no idea what is meant by " run the -E file as FIAD from the compiler directory". 

You should be able to put in the Editor/Assembler cartridge and choose the option:

5 - RUN PROGRAM FILE and enter the name of the program: DSK1.PROGRAM-E and it should load and run. If it is looking for a -G file then the compiler loader should have created three files with the extensions  -E, -F, and -G.

(Edit) Since it now works, ignore the reply above.

Edited by senior_falcon, Today, 7:01 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users