IGNORED

Super Retro Trio

It's one thing to provide criticism when people play 4:3 content stretched to 16:9. Telling people to only use CRTs is just plain ignorant. Most people have HDTVs nowadays and that's how they play their systems. They should be taught to use the 4:3 mode of their TVs for certain content, but that's about it.

Agreed. CRTs are a less viable option every day.

Rolling Thunder works on a flash cart, unless I'm missing something. I entered the first level and shot some guys around. Nothing seemed broken. Pretty cool game; thought I already had it but I don't; should pick it up sometime. I have quite a stack of Tengen carts already; might as well collect them all! ;)

Stardust and anyone else who has one, use the Tengen game Rolling Thunder. I don't know why but if that game plays then your console will have good sound and video. Something about the ones with poor sound and jailbars also crash that game.

Weirdest thing too, the Famicom Everdrive works on my old FC Mobile II. I tested Castlevania III ROM and it sounds great. Seems my years old FC Mobile has the same good chip that my DasCheap Super Retro Trio had. Unfortunately, the Retrobit replacement fails the CVIII audio test. What gives?

Guys, I'm wondering something. Is it possible that some of these games that reportedly don't work on clones will still work on an Everdrive? People swear Castlevania III doesn't work, but the ROM + Flash cart combination does. Wierd. I might can get Rolling Thunder; I've seen it on shelves before. Those black carts are getting harder to find though.

Edited by stardust4ever

Last time I looked in a thrift store, there was ONE CRT TV, and it was 40E, for a 55cm tube.

Hahahah.

Most LCD TV are pretty fine with video games systems; you just need to learn how to remove all of the fancy "picture enhancing" effects and tune your picture sharpness accordingly. The only problem would be input lag, but it varies heavily between TVs.

If I need a new TV, I don't want my selection to be limited to what's at the thrift store this week. I also don't want to have to hunt for a set that doesn't have glaring color problems or geometry and convergence issues... then hope beyond hope to get a flat-screen CRT. Beyond that, maintaining two setups for both classic and modern systems isn't practical or desirable (at least for me).

Nah, I'm keeping a teeny-tiny set around for ROB and Zapper games, but other than that, I've kissed CRTs goodbye.

• Like 1

Let's clarify one thing. Getting a CRT is easy, thrift stores have them. Knowing they work, not so easy. Knowing they will last, impossible.

Stardust, I don't know if it's the rom or the cart itself but I do know that Rolling Thunder failed on all the consoles with bad sound that I tested and worked on all the good consoles. I'm thinking they may have fixed the boards since then as there were other problems as well. Retro-Bit has always been better with customer support than most of their competition. Yes, I'm raging on Hyperkin again, sue me.

• Like 1

People also seem to have extreme difficulty finding any kind of CRT display in SoCal, but they are everywhere in LA (Louisiana). :P

The photo I posted earlier is from the rescue mission thrift store a few miles from my house. I have an excellent woodgrain TV circa 1993 that I have in my garage because it's too big for my current gaming setup. It lacks composite but I have spare RF modulators. All my 8-bit and 16-bit systems have composite as well as RF and I also have one of those N64 RF dongles so I am good for N64 and GameCube. The display shows scanlines on all my 240p consoles and the lines are razor sharp. My mom's TV in her bedroom is slightly fuzzy but works too. My bedroom CRT is a smaller unit that I have in an old corner computer desk. My Tube TV is in the monitor bay area and I have an ASUS 23" monitor on the top shelf hooked up via DVI through an HDMI splitter on top for my HD games. Sound is routed to my three piece stereo system with some very nice looking and sounding Jenson speakers I scored from a Pawn shop. Widescreen displays won't fit in most furniture designed for CRTs sadly. 1080p PC monitors are generally smaller than HDTVs, but you can't beat 8ms lag anywhere!!! I'll sacrifice display size for lag-free performance any day. :-D

It's kinda funny to see people who promote my stuff without me lifting a finger, but I had intended to share my content with you guys once I had it all done. I even contemplated keeping them all as private videos until I was finished. I guess I should have done that. I put considerable effort into making my content as detailed as possible, and when people don't credit me that really brothers me.

Sorry to sound like a grump, but stardust's been pissing me off over at digitalpress and reading some of his comments in this thread too, and I get along with almost everyone.

anyway, I'll be happy to answer any questions myself. ignore stardust.

Edited by Satoshi Matrix

@Satoshi Matrix: Seriously? You expect people not to post your videos in forums? I would have been honored if they did the same for me. You are far more skilled than I at doing quality review videos, but man, you've sure got some ego!

As for the personal attacks, please, keep them off AtariAge. I may have gotten a little post-happy over there, beating you to the punch by a few days with my half-asses reviews, but I do have 8 times the number of posts you do hear at AtariAge. There's enough drama between us already at digitpress; I'd rather not have you come over here to continue stuff another forum.

That's trolling.

And don't bother showing face at NintendoAge either. I heard you were listed in the HOS thread. For why, I don't know, but your true colors are starting to show up.

• Like 3

It's kinda funny to see people who promote my stuff without me lifting a finger, but I had intended to share my content with you guys once I had it all done. I even contemplated keeping them all as private videos until I was finished. I guess I should have done that. I put considerable effort into making my content as detailed as possible, and when people don't credit me that really brothers me.

Sorry to sound like a grump, but stardust's been pissing me off over at digitalpress and reading some of his comments in this thread too, and I get along with almost everyone.

Why exactly is your problem? Stardust didn't share your videos, OldSchoolRetroGamer did. Not only did he share them, but he called you out by name for making them.

Telling people to ignore Stardust is childish. He's providing details of his experience with the console. His opinions are no more or less valid than yours.

• Like 3

Let's clarify one thing, THIS TOTALLY DEPENDS ON YOUR LOCATION ! Do not make an assumption based on your own location, here in my small Canadian City CRT's are a rarity ANYWHERE.

The goodwills I have hit in CT refuse to even take CRTs any more. This is what I was told when I asked why they had none anyway. When I get'em, and when I see nice one I usually grab it, it's at the exchange table at the dump. The dump guy is happy to se me take them,even though 50% come right back as they are broken in some fashion.

I have a 27 inch CRT but much more enjoy playing anything on my projector at 127 inches. :grin:

• Like 1

@Satoshi Matrix: Seriously? You expect people not to post your videos in forums?

I'm not talking about here on AA I'm talking about on DP. I explained to you what my intentions were for this project before hand. And you completely ignored them. So yes. I expected you to respect my wishes. I'm not angry with OldSchoolRetroGamer or anyone else here on AA. Just you because of your antics on DP.

Why exactly is your problem? Stardust didn't share your videos, OldSchoolRetroGamer did. Not only did he share them, but he called you out by name for making them.

Telling people to ignore Stardust is childish. He's providing details of his experience with the console. His opinions are no more or less valid than yours.

I don't want to get into it here. but if you want, go to digitalpress and read the last few pages of the Retron5 and SRT threads and see how stardust has essentially been trolling and asking stupid questions unabated. My patience with that guy has warn thin. But I don't want to dwell on this topic.

I hope my video series proves useful for you guys. Even with some of the minor problems, this is still one of the best clones I've ever come across.

Here's the thing Satoshi, by bringing drama from one forum to another the only thing you do is make yourself look like an ass. He did nothing in this forum, someone else posted your video. What prompted your attack isn't seen to us and comes off as arrogant and unprovoked. Following him to another forum is even worse. Why are you in the HOS on Nintendoage anyway, who did you rip off?

Also if you don't want videos posted in a forum my advice is to not post them on Youtube.

Banhammer time?

Satoshi Matrix ---------------------------------- (added September 2011) Chronic time waster and full of excuses. Takes months to ship items and blames it on lost postage, weddings, and school work.

Turns out he was banned from NintendoAge- that tells me all I need to know.

Edited by mkiker2089

Why should anyone ignore Stardust?

You did share your content, by posting it to YouTube. Of course people are going to share links on websites (including forums like this) to videos they find interesting. Nobody needs to "give you credit"--they are links to your videos on YouTube. From there, people can easily browse your other videos. And you're welcome to to flaunt yourself as much as you'd like in your videos if you don't feel you're getting enough "credit". I have no idea if you've done this, since I haven't watched the videos that were linked above.

..Al

• Like 1

Yeah you guys are right. The issues I've had with stardust on DP don't belong here at all. My apologies. I wasn't thinking about that last night. Everything I've said here has to do with stardust, and his trolling on another forum, so let's just drop the whole thing.

Back on topic,

Has anyone else bought a SRT? I'd like to know how widespread the faulty APU problem is with these NOACs.

The best games to test are:

Castlevania II

Castlevania III

Crystalis

Super Mario Bros. 3 (World 1 overworld theme (let it play completely))

Super C (allow stage 1 music to play through completely. As soon as the game starts, don't advance so there's no enemies. Just listen to the BGM)

This NOAC appears to be identical to the one in the standalone RetroPort adapter, so I'm wondering if Retro-Bit used some old stock from the RetroPorts when they made the Super Retro Trio. That's my theory, anyway.

I know I'm a broken record but please test all systems with Rolling Thunder from Tengen as well. The single system NOACs that worked well played it fine, this that had bad sound and picture crashed on the cart. I don't know if using it with an everdrive is the same.

• Like 1

^^The audio issues with the Retrobit clone only affect a monority of games. I have a whole stack of Tengen carts. I could have sworn I had Rolling Thunder in my collection, but either I do not have it or I cannot find it atm. If you watched Satoshi's video on the NES, he plays Rolling Thunder.

For the record, Castlevania III works on NOACs using an Everdrive N8 but not the actual cart. There is a mod available (by connecting an inverter circuit between two pins) to make a real Castlevania III work on NOAC clones. Satoshi describes this mod in his NES video, but I have a theory that the Everdrive may resolve the MMC5 issue internally, bypassing the need for console modification. Try Castlevania II: Simon's Quest instead. It works on clones and has the same glaring audio issues on my second SRT and Satoshi's review unit. Ironically, my 2010 Hyperkin FC Mobile II plays Castlevania with normal audio just like the first unit I returned had. Either way, both clone chips sound identical on the vast majority of games, and even the "good" one messed up the first two or three notes in the CVIII opening sequence. It's not a deal breaker unless you're a huge Castlevania fan or one of the other affected games.

The afformentioned FC Mobile II has severe distortion when the volume controll is turned up, but that is due to a poorly designed audio amp schematic, not the NOAC itself, which is surprizingly accurate with the slider set medium to low volume levels.

It seems the DasCheap units that got shipped out early have good sound chips, and the units shipped directly from Retrobit (my second unit and Satoshi's review unit) have the messed up audio on specific games. I wouldn't recommend ordering from DasCheap however. My first one had glue covering the controller ports, and NES Player 1 did not function properly. I have a feeling DasCheap may have gotten a shipment of early beta units or sourced from outside the proper channels, hence the fact I got mine before the actual "review" units ever shipped. Those DAS Cheap units may or may not be reliable despite the "better" NOAC, hence my need to return it. If they are sold out on Amazon or elsewhere, just wait and avoid the scalping resellers. I'm sure more SRTs are on their way out to retailers.

I know I'm a broken record but please test all systems with Rolling Thunder from Tengen as well. The single system NOACs that worked well played it fine, this that had bad sound and picture crashed on the cart. I don't know if using it with an everdrive is the same.

Rolling Thunder was the Tengen cart example I used. It works perfectly. the one that does not is Afterburner.

Then you won't be getting one at all. I doubt even with my engineering report to them Virtua Racing will be fixed, because that's the only game that uses those connections out of the entire MegaDrive library.

as for the bad APU, that's a design defect, and very likely one that is extremely difficult or indeed impossible to detect. Also, I speculate that only a small number of systems have the defect present.