[AQUARIUS] New Product: Aquarius 32K RAM Module

mattel radofin aquarius memory upgrade

144 replies to this topic

#126 MattelAquarius OFFLINE  

MattelAquarius

Moonsweeper

• 469 posts

Posted Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:35 PM

Here's a link to the (preliminary) instruction manual for the 32K Module.  I hope to add more to this shortly, but this should cover the basics:

http://www.synapsete...us32KManual.pdf

Very nice!

It may be messy to add this detail in the manual, but the non-S2 models will show 31037 bytes of RAM available.

#127 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,999 posts
  • "Excuse me, sir? I have a question ..."

Posted Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:07 PM

It may be messy to add this detail in the manual, but the non-S2 models will show 31037 bytes of RAM available.

... and Extended BASIC will show a different amount as well. That version of the manual is a "rough draft", so I'll soon be reworking the whole thing, and I'll be sure to include all this information.

#128 MattelAquarius OFFLINE  

MattelAquarius

Moonsweeper

• 469 posts

Posted Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:11 PM

True.  For simplicity, you could stipulate that no program cart be inserted while performing the mem check.  That would only leave the AQII owners with inaccurate info in the manual.  Probably won't receive too many complaints from them... :)

#129 Questarian OFFLINE  

Questarian

Space Invader

• 10 posts

Posted Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:43 AM

As I couldn't decide on one color, I picked up some RGB slow rotating color changing LED's... any suggestions on a resistor value to use with it on the RAM cart?

-John-

#130 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,999 posts

Posted Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:02 PM

As I couldn't decide on one color, I picked up some RGB slow rotating color changing LED's... any suggestions on a resistor value to use with it on the RAM cart?

-John-

Hmmm ... I wish I'd thought of that idea myself!

The supply voltage from the cartridge board is 5V, so the best value of the current-limiting resistor would depend on the forward voltage rating of your LED.  The easiest way to find the resistor value would be to use a calculator like this one.

The LEDs that I used were rated at a maximum forward voltage of 2.4V to 3.4V (depending on the color), and a maximum forward current of 20mA, so I used 82Ω resistors for the blue, white, and green LEDs, and 150Ω resistors for the red and yellow LEDs.

#131 Questarian OFFLINE  

Questarian

Space Invader

• 10 posts

Posted Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:43 PM

Hmmm ... I wish I'd thought of that idea myself!

The supply voltage from the cartridge board is 5V, so the best value of the current-limiting resistor would depend on the forward voltage rating of your LED.  The easiest way to find the resistor value would be to use a calculator like this one.

The LEDs that I used were rated at a maximum forward voltage of 2.4V to 3.4V (depending on the color), and a maximum forward current of 20mA, so I used 82Ω resistors for the blue, white, and green LEDs, and 150Ω resistors for the red and yellow LEDs.

Thanks! I'll have to bookmark that link!
The specs on the LED's I picked are 3.0v - 3.5v, 20mA... Which calc's out as 100Ω - 82Ω. Think I'm better off leaning towards the higher side of the range?

-John-

#132 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,999 posts

Posted Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:50 PM

For that rating, anything in that range should be fine.  Use whatever resistor you happen to have the most of in your parts drawer. :)

The worst that can happen is that, with a larger resistor, the LED doesn't shine quite as brightly as it could.

#133 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 9,190 posts

Posted Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:31 PM

I took a stab a printing out a manual for the 32K Memory cart.  Not a bad first try   :)

Aquarius 32K Memory (Manual) 1
Aquarius 32K Memory (Manual) 2
Aquarius 32K Memory (Manual) 3

#134 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,999 posts

Posted Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:48 PM

Hey, that's pretty good!  I need to go back and revise that manual at some point (mainly to add some more technical information), but in the meantime, it's nice to see it in print!

#135 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 9,190 posts

Posted Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:54 PM

They have some nice Konica Minolta printers at my work :)

#136 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,999 posts

Posted Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:12 AM

I really need to invest in a color laser printer at some point.  Even a relatively inexpensive consumer model would make it much easier to print proofs of my manuals.

Just out of curiosity, what type/size of paper are you using?

#137 chjmartin2 OFFLINE  

chjmartin2

Moonsweeper

• 322 posts

Posted Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:06 PM

Jay,

Can I still buy one of these.  I can't believe I missed it!

Chris

#138 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,999 posts

Posted Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:26 AM

Yes, of course! The "collector's editions" with the LEDs are sold out, but I can still supply plenty of the black-shell editions. Just send me a PM and we'll take it from there!

#139 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 9,190 posts

Posted Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:43 AM

Yes, of course! The "collector's editions" with the LEDs are sold out, but I can still supply plenty of the black-shell editions. Just send me a PM and we'll take it from there!

How many special editions did you end up selling?

#140 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,999 posts

Posted Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:19 PM

How many special editions did you end up selling?

All of them!  I have a very limited quantity of transparent shells, so a run of thirty "collector's editions" seemed appropriate for the Aquarius's 30th anniversary, and all thirty of them sold.

(There are actually 31 in existence, since I also made one for myself, but all the rest use black shells.)

#141 chouimat OFFLINE  

chouimat

Space Invader

• 36 posts

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:13 AM

is it still available?

#142 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,999 posts

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:52 AM

is it still available?

Absolutely!  I've been replenishing my stock, but I'll be ready to start shipping again soon, so anyone interested is more than welcome to send me a PM.

#143 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,999 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:39 AM

Just a quick note to let everyone know that, after being unavailable for several months, the Aquarius 32K RAM Module is finally back in stock again!  I had no definite idea of how much demand there would be for this module when I started this project, so I kept my inventory fairly low.  Somewhat to my own surprise, I ended up running out of my original run of boards, so I had to order more!  I've received several inquiries in the meantime, so for anyone who's been waiting, the 32K RAM Module is indeed available again, and at the same price: $30 plus USPS Priority shipping.  Of course, the Aquaricart is still available, too, so send me a PM if you're interested in either or both of these cartridges.  As always, thanks very much!

#144 jltursan OFFLINE  

jltursan

Space Invader

• 10 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 1:28 PM

Yup, I'm definitely interested!  :waving:

#145 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,999 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 2:56 PM

Yup, I'm definitely interested!  :waving:

Great, thank you!  I'll send you a PM and we'll take it from there!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mattel, radofin, aquarius, memory, upgrade

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users