IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

Our friend Bill (Loguidice) posted this over facebook

So I though I would post the informations here

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35350896&cp=&parentPage=search

Seriously, what you think about the look of the system/controllers ?

Compared to what they did with the atari and intellivision, I think the look is not super well done

Obviously, that will not prevent me to buy one ;)

post-11933-0-79724500-1399052252_thumb.jpg

post-11933-0-15136100-1399053230_thumb.jpg

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 10

Thanks for posting this, J-F. :)

I'm curious to know if the controller's connector actually fits into the joystick port of a "real" ColecoVision console. If yes, then there's an opportunity for AtGames to make some extra money by selling standalone controllers, especially if original overlays fit in the keypad.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting this, J-F. :)I'm curious to know if the controller's connector actually fits into the joystick port of a "real" ColecoVision console. If yes, then there's an opportunity for AtGames to make some extra money by selling standalone controllers, especially if original overlays fit in the keypad.

You read my mind, I'm also wondering the same about controllers

Then, it's awesome!! :cool:

It depends if those new controllers feel cheap compared to the old original stock controllers. If the joystick is sturdy and the fire buttons work well, then I think some CV fans will actually buy the CV Flashback just so they can use its controllers on their old CV consoles. :)

• Like 1

It depends if those new controllers feel cheap compared to the old original stock controllers. If the joystick is sturdy and the fire buttons work well, then I think some CV fans will actually buy the CV Flashback just so they can use its controllers on their old CV consoles. :)

How can they be cheapest! :lol:

Seriously, you're right, hopefully they won't feel like those crappy China NES controllers!

Yes, the controllers, like the ones on the Intellivision Flashback, are supposed to work on the original hardware, and vice-versa, just like the controllers for the Atari Flashback 3 and beyond. When I get test hardware I'll make 100% sure, but that's always been the stated goal and was how the controllers were developed (from the original schematics). Note that the controllers have slight cosmetic variations from the originals and will be slightly smaller. Same thing with the Intellivision controllers. Frankly, all I care about is improved control over the originals. I'm a fan of what they did on their Atari Flashbacks in terms of controller, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens here.

While some will criticize the lack of cartridge or SD slots in this version, you have to consider there are many factors that go into creating these products and many different business elements that need to be appeased. It's not as simple as doing it just because it would make a certain portion of the community happier.

For my money, for $40, getting two new controllers and a new set of overlays (even for games that never had them) is worth the price of admission alone. Certainly for future versions of the product, the value-adds will need to increase, including possibly that SD card slot. As for a future cartridge slot, it's highly unlikely to ever happen for a variety of reasons.

• Like 12

I think we've had this conversation, Bill :)

I don't think I'm in a minority when it comes to wanting a fully functional Coleco. Closed systems should be in the minority and not all that we get.

We have, but again, you have to consider a $40 retail product targeted to the masses, i.e., hundreds of thousands of "casuals," is a lot different than a product targeted to hundreds or a few thousand of "us." From a business standpoint, there'd be little benefit to create an uber ColecoVision TV game system that retails for, say, $80, that will garner them maybe a few hundred more sales from "us" (the ones who have the real deal), and likely fewer sales overall because suddenly you've outpriced yourself from the nostalgic casual shopper in Toys "R"Us or Bed, Bath, & Beyond.

Overall, I think it would be unfortunate if not only our community didn't support these first real tries at decent Intellivision and ColecoVision TV games, but also did our usual "scream bloody murder" about all the things it doesn't have. Sometimes things are worth supporting for the bigger picture and the long-term payoff. Now, if things didn't get better in a 2015 and beyond version, then a criticism would be more understandable, but you have to keep in mind this is a big step for a company like this to venture beyond the Atari and Sega "comfort" zones, aka, proven sales. Again, think big picture and I think you can appreciate this more, no matter how high your expectations.

• Like 18

I'd get it if it I can use the new controllers on my old real Coleco system. It's silly to buy any game system you can't put an SD card or a real cart into, though.

I'm just not excited about artificially limited products.

AtGames is about to release the Atari Flashback 5, so a ColecoVision Flashback 2 is always a possibility, and there's always hope for a cartridge port in the future. One thing's for sure, at least a few people are going to take this CV Flashback apart right after buying it, just to see what it looks like on the inside, and I'm looking forward to seeing their reports. For one thing, I'd like to know if it uses an actual Z80 CPU, or some kind of "emulated equivalent".

The big qualifier here is: are we supporting closed systems by buying a closed system or are we supporting the creation of something to run old and new games? It's quite a gamble to assume we'll get a better product by supporting one with less features intentionally.

AtGames has released Sega Genesis clones with carts and SD ports. No reason to not work that into a product with a much smaller company.

I wouldn't call my original post screaming bloody murder either. Just a comment on my personal view.

• Like 2

The big qualifier here is: are we supporting closed systems by buying a closed system or are we supporting the creation of something to run old and new games? It's quite a gamble to assume we'll get a better product by supporting one with less features intentionally.

AtGames has released Sega Genesis clones with carts and SD ports. No reason to not work that into a product with a much smaller company.

I wouldn't call my original post screaming bloody murder either. Just a comment on my personal view.

Again, we're supporting the idea, the concept of nostalgia beyond the usual suspects of Atari and Sega. That's worth supporting in a first iteration, particularly when obvious care is being taken in many areas. No support, ANY future products of any significance are far less likely.

Also, it's always an issue of cartridge age and support issues when you go back to the Atari/Intellivision/ColecoVision-era stuff. Genesis stuff, relatively speaking, is not that old. Also, Sega has been very liberal with what they allow. Don't confuse Sega with any other company. Again, a cartridge port will almost certainly never happen, but an SD card slot is both technically possible and relatively inexpensive to implement.

What is this system? NOAC? Emulator? Other?

AtGames always uses custom chips, never a NOAC. They have their own Genesis-on-a-chip, which powers those products (though they have been experimenting with alternatives in the handhelds of late), as well as other 32-bit chips to power their other stuff. I don't think you'll find much when you open these products up. It will be some custom chips and a custom software emulation layer. When I get a review unit, I'll try to let you know what custom chip they're using for what.

• Like 1

Again, we're supporting the idea, the concept of nostalgia beyond the usual suspects of Atari and Sega. That's worth supporting in a first iteration, particularly when obvious care is being taken in many areas. No support, ANY future products of any significance are far less likely.

Also, it's always an issue of cartridge age and support issues when you go back to the Atari/Intellivision/ColecoVision-era stuff. Genesis stuff, relatively speaking, is not that old. Also, Sega has been very liberal with what they allow. Don't confuse Sega with any other company. Again, a cartridge port will almost certainly never happen, but an SD card slot is both technically possible and relatively inexpensive to implement.

Well, like I said, if the joysticks are compatible with a real system then I'll buy it for that. I'll also buy it to support the cause - if you could act as our voice. They need to know the demand is there for some sort of SD functionality.

• Like 4

Well, like I said, if the joysticks are compatible with a real system then I'll buy it for that. I'll also buy it to support the cause - if you could act as our voice. They need to know the demand is there for some sort of SD functionality.

Believe me, I hammer that home to them all the time. I wanted it for the Flashback 5, but they got pushback, unfortunately.

My personal wishlist for 2015 are SD card slots and HDMI out. I guess we'll see how these do to see how they end up revising them going forward.

• Like 10

Great news! I will probably buy at least 2.

Do we have to preorder it, or will it be available at retail stores? I guess what I am getting at is do we have to preorder to show enough interest to get it made, or is it already a done deal that we will see in stores at release in the future?