IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I think most people's really happy and gratefull toward ATgames making the very first CV Flashback

Everyone is agree to say the product looks great as well

The problem is not having the controllers compatible with the original system and some classic cult games are missing

They don't say the product is bad or is shit

People (fans) would have prefer to get games like Mouse Trap instead of let's say, homebrews

All the CV classic arcade games should have been there, well... Mostly , asides DK and DKjr of course

Here's what I think should have been included: (40 games)

- 2010 Graphic Adventure

- Antarctic Adventure

- Buck Rogers

- Bump n Jump

- Burgertime

- Carnival

- Centipede

- Cosmic Avenger

- Congo Bongo

- Defender

- Destructor

- Frenzy

- Galaxian

- Gorf

- Gyruss

- Jungle Hunt

- Blackjack / Poker

- Lady Bug

- Looping

- Mr Do!

- Mouse Trap

- Omega Race

- Popeye

- Pepper II

- Q* Bert

- Roc 'n Rope

- Tapper

- Turbo

- Up n Down

- Slither

- Space Fury

- Space Panic

- Spy Hunter

- Star Trek

- Star Wars

- Subroc

- Time Pilot

- Venture

- Victory

- Zaxxon

Like I said earlier. Kudos to ATgames for making a CV flashback

I applause their efforts

Although I'll still be getting only one Colecovision Flashback from Dollar General, these 32 are essentially what I would like to have seen on it overall...

2010: Graphic Adventure

Antarctic Adventure (Konami)

Buck Rogers: The Planet of Zoom (Sega)

Bump 'n' Jump (Data East)

Burgertime (Data East)

Carnival (Sega)

Cosmic Avenger (Universal)

Congo Bongo (Sega)

Destructor

Frenzy (Stern)

Front Line (Taito)

Gorf (Midway)

Ken Uston's Blackjack/Poker

Lady Bug (Universal)

Looping (Venture Line)

Mr Do! (Universal)

Mouse Trap (Exidy)

Omega Race (Midway)

Pepper II (Exidy)

Roc 'n Rope (Konami)

Root Beer Tapper (Midway)

Turbo (Sega)

Slither (Century II)

Space Fury (Sega)

Space Panic (Universal)

Spy Hunter (Midway)

Star Trek (Sega)

Subroc (Sega)

Venture (Exidy)

Victory (Exidy)

WarGames

Zaxxon (Sega)

8)

Edited by TrekkiELO

The entire Vectrex library isn't in the public domain, Jay Smith just chooses not to defend his copyrights which will remain active until they expire down the road. Plus, I vaguely recall that he stipulated that only applies for not for profit uses which is why the Vectrex Regeneration publisher has a license agreement with the rights holder.

Sucks I can't get this as I don't have an Apple "device." Also I hope it supports gamepad controls because touch screens suck for input.

There are a handful of games that are not going to make it on the FB1, like Lady Bug, Mouse Trap and BurgerTime(?), but this only means that those games will be good candidates for inclusion on the CVFB2.

The ColecoVision nostalgia market is much smaller than the Atari nostalgia market, so I do NOT think the 5th edition of the Atari Flashback should lead us to believe that there will be even a 2nd version of the ColecoVision Flashback. I expect that this first version includes pretty much all the "good" titles they're able to include any time soon. I can't believe they're holding anything back, since those "good" titles are the main selling point needed to make the first version as profitable as possible. So, if a revision of some sort (either a second production run of "CVFB1" or a "CVFB2") does get released in the next few years I wouldn't expect a significant change in the number of "good" titles it offers.

When all is finally revealed this is going to be a serious exercise in "glass half empty" vs. "glass half full" thinking...

Edited by bkrownd

I can't believe they're holding anything back, since those "good" titles are the main selling point needed to make the first version as profitable as possible. So, if a revision of some sort (either a second production run of "CVFB1" or a "CVFB2") does get released in the next few years I wouldn't expect a significant change in the number of "good" titles it offers.

It depends what kind of approach AtGames decided to take at the very inception of the CV Flashback project. If it was their plan to possibly release a CVFB2 in the long run, then it would make sense for them to hold back a few titles, in order to have something interesting to add to the CVFB2. They can put a special mention on the CVFB2's box to list the new games not previously included in the CVFB1, with the hope that the few new titles will be enough for impulse buyers to shell out another 40$ for the new device.

So I guess we'll see where things go from the CVFB1's release and onward. :)

To those of you expecting a 2nd revision Coleco Flashback: don't hold your breath. Atari sold like 30 million VCS and 2600 consoles back in the day, compared to how many Colecos? I can say with absolute certainty, however, that if everyone holds back and waits for a 2nd revision with more games, there will not be one. It's that type of groupthink that killed Osborne Computing. :ponder:

About the glass half full/half empty thing: Unless you're a Buddist Monk (in which case you'll only be drinking water), I can't think of anyone who walks into a bar and expects the bartender to be served a mug "half full." Yes, there are quite a few "half empty" mugs at the bar (which patrons are currently enjoying), but I've yet to see one "half full," unless regurgitation is involved. :P

• Like 1

It depends what kind of approach AtGames decided to take at the very inception of the CV Flashback project. If it was their plan to possibly release a CVFB2 in the long run, then it would make sense for them to hold back a few titles, in order to have something interesting to add to the CVFB2.

I can't believe they're holding anything back, since those "good" titles are the main selling point needed to make the first version as profitable as possible.

I don't think anyone is "holding anything back," except perhaps the rights holders who are pricing their licenses for old intellectual properties so high that it doesn't make sense for AtGames to pay.

• 2 weeks later...
For those interested, I can tell you that all game lists for the 2014 products have been finalized as you'd expect at this late date. While again, I won't get into specifics until AtGames is ready to release the lists themselves, I can answer any general questions/cover highlights. Here are the final game counts: Atari Flashback 5 (2014) - 92 games, ColecoVision Flashback - 60/61 games, Intellivision Flashback - 60/61 games, Sega Genesis Classic Game Console (2014) - 80 games, Sega Genesis Ultimate Portable Game Player (2014) - 80 games

There is also lots of good stuff being planned for 2015, so I hope these end up doing well with the target audiences.

• Like 4

Sega Genesis Ultimate Portable Game Player (2014) - 80 games
There is also lots of good stuff being planned for 2015, so I hope these end up doing well with the target audiences.

So, is this unit like this older one.. except with different games?

http://www.themarysue.com/ultimate-portable-game-player-genesis-games/

I hope they retain the SD card slot. Also, being able to save games would be a huge plus.

I hope they retain the SD card slot. Also, being able to save games would be a huge plus.

If they improve the sound and allow for game saves, that would be a wonderful little handheld to have. I have the 2010 version (Firecore/Gopher) and it's already pretty good as is.

• Like 1

Thanks Bill, this is great to hear! I hope that most if not all of the 80 games on the Sega console are actual Genesis games, not the stuff that was on the last version of this console. Also looking forward to seeing what happens with the planned mobile apps.

It's more or less the usual mix of 40 Sega games and 40 of the "other" we're not particularly fond of in these parts. It really doesn't matter though, because one has the cartridge port and the other has the SD card slot.

• Like 1

I was previewing a re-design of that handheld. It was a bit larger (more comfortable) and emulated the games in a different manner, allowing for all kinds of neat tricks (and one awesome "secret" feature likely to remain undocumented, but hopefully still left in). I found the whole experience a dramatic improvement over the already highly enjoyable version you referenced above. I don't know if that's what AtGames ultimately went with for the final product (it could just be a minor update of what you referenced, but I doubt it), but if so, I think we'll all be very happy with the end result. Hopefully I'll know for sure in late August what the retail version ends up being.

n/m Thanks for the info!

If it is the version I was previewing, I can say that there was no saved game support (at least in that iteration), but there was save state support. Sound was also noticeably improved, though I'll reserve judgment on whether or not it was perfect if/when I get a retail version.

• Like 1