IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

No Joy at the Dollar General that I found. Are they all tiny little holes in the ground or is one I found just small?

I don't see how they would fit a bunch of these games anywhere. Maybe they would have 2 of each and that is it.

Going to check another Dollar General today. See if it is the same hole in the wall or if it is bigger.

I never had a ColecoVision of my own, though I borrowed a friend's for a while. Definitely good times in the pre-MAME days.

For what it's worth, the Toys R Us in Gaithersburg, Maryland has no Flashbacks of any flavor at this time. Those of you who were able to snag an early box should consider yourselves extra lucky!

• Like 1

I never had a ColecoVision of my own, though I borrowed a friend's for a while. Definitely good times in the pre-MAME days.

Sadly it wasn't to last, roughly the same month the following year I was surprised to see this show up in my mailbox. My parents back then were nice enough to subscribe me to EG:

elecgames-mar84.jpg

I think later that year by football season I convinced my parents to get me a C64. The end came far too quickly.

I visited two Toys R Us stores where I live and neither had any flashbacks. (I went to one of them during lunch today)

• Like 4

Sadly it wasn't to last, roughly the same month the following year I was surprised to see this show up in my mailbox. My parents back then were nice enough to subscribe me to EG:

elecgames-mar84.jpg

I think later that year by football season I convinced my parents to get me a C64. The end came far too quickly.

I visited two Toys R Us stores where I live and neither had any flashbacks. (I went to one of them during lunch today)

I remember that issue. Sadly neither Retromags nor the Internet Archive have a copy. Are you willing to scan the whole thing for them?

• Like 1

Sweet. I could have sworn it said that issue was missing. Thanks for the link!

obligatory on topic post: yay colecovision!

The only one I'm aware of that's missing everywhere is the August 1985 issue of Computer Entertainment, which was the last issue before the first run of Electronic Games ended. On a side note, the first magazine I ever purchased was the June 1983 issue of Electronic Games. That had a HUGE impact on my life.

• Like 3

The only one I'm aware of that's missing everywhere is the August 1985 issue of Computer Entertainment, which was the last issue before the first run of Electronic Games ended. On a side note, the first magazine I ever purchased was the June 1983 issue of Electronic Games. That had a HUGE impact on my life.

I know what you mean. My first issue was June 1982 and it really impacted me in a variety of ways. It was like a whole world was opening up and a whole new hobby etc.

Until then all you knew about games were the catalogs you got, commercials, or from kids at school who owned something different other than an Atari 2600.

And to try and stay on subject, one more question if I may ask Bill...are there any manuals at all for these games or is it just the overlays that will be included?

• Like 1

I'm still confused about Toys "R" Us-I checked their website last night, and couldn't even find a listing for the word Colecovision.

Because they got rid of the pre order links a few weeks ago. That is somewhere in these threads.

They are supposed to hold any stock they get from the shelves until October but for all the technological advances the world has many companies are still horrible at technology. So when some of these stores got their stock out it went on the floor.

Hell Walmart never even had a clue what was on their trucks until we sent them what we unloaded. Talk about all the hoops they make all their suppliers go through and they themselves have no clue what is on a truck. Pretty pitiful if you ask me.

I would assume the preorders are getting fulfilled from whatever corporate warehouse they have and therefore are holding that shipment until October 1.

• Like 1

My first issue of Electronic Games was September 1982. I found a copy at the newstand in Piazza Castello in Turin, Italy, which carried some international magazines. I had just started college, and a few days previously I bought my copy of Videogiochi n. 1, the first Italian videogame magazine:

http://www.retro-gaming.it/retrogaming_magazine/magazine_videogiochi.php

• Like 1

And to try and stay on subject, one more question if I may ask Bill...are there any manuals at all for these games or is it just the overlays that will be included?

No, no manuals, but a manual for the product is included. I only wrote the game descriptions/instructions for the ColecoVision Flashback, so that one does actually have concise and relatively detailed descriptions of how to play each game in the included manual. The Intellivision Flashback manual more or less relies on the images of the overlays in the manual to guide the player. I'm not sure about the Atari Flashback 5 as I haven't received that one yet, but I suspect it's the same as past units and more limited like the Intellivision Flashback manual. Of course, generally speaking, those are simpler games that don't really need more detailed instructions.

I have a scan of the Aug. 1985 issue of Computer Entertainment on my web site. All 82 pages in PDF format. Enjoy!

http://www.2600connection.com/library/magazines/electronic_games/electronic_games.html

• Like 4

Has anyone tried the controllers on a real colecovision? Do they work?

Not 'as is'. The output signals are not the same as an original controller (adapters should be easily made though, like I did with the Intellivision Flashback controllers).

The issue I see (based on the attached picture I've seen) is that the joystick 'shaft' is WAY too short. Pinched fingers when pressing UP are a distinct possibility here...

post-19229-140910210783_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not 'as is'. The output signals are not the same as an original controller (adapters should be easily made though, like I did with the Intellivision Flashback controllers).

The issue I see (based on the attached picture I've seen) is that the joystick 'shaft' is WAY too short. Pinched fingers when pressing UP are a distinct possibility here...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1409102104.680906.jpg

*That's* the difference alright! Have already experienced some cramping/pinching going on and have barely played the thing.

Really like the side buttons and keypad though!

I find the keypad buttons a bit of an annoyance. You have to really press in all the way as opposed to the old bubble style pads, which seemed more responsive. Anyone else have this issue? I also noticed there's no speech in Squish'em Sam. Anyone else confirm that? Also, initially I didn't mind the side button functions being swapped, but I find it a bit of a challenge in certain games. I definitely don't care for the shorter shaft on the joystick either.