IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

Text is really bad on the ColecoVision Flashback on all but a CRT TV I've tried. Text quality is better on the Atari Flashback and Intellivision Flashback. It must have something to do with how the ColecoVision's video output is emulated, otherwise it would be present in the other hardware since they all use the same base hardware technology.

I mentioned something similar in the other thread where I posted pics of the internals, nonetheless, I almost wish this was a port or "NES on a chip" type deal, to better explain the results. Dating back to the mid 90's we had emulation of the ColecoVision (ColemDOS), audio and video coded and performing excellently on 1990 hardware (486DX-33).

While certainly the footprint of this flashback is impressive, the end results - particularly the sound - should have been better. We're well over 20 and closer to 25 years post ColemDOS and 486 hardware...hoping for another ColecoVision Flashback unit down the road...it has my dollars already as support towards it.

This is interesting, my TV is a Blu-Sens 23" LED one.

My MSX2+ (Sony HB-F1XDJ) looks garbled in composite video, there are a kind of columns between pixels, specially in some colors.

Instead the Colecovision Flashback video looks pretty well.

Also the RF decoder looks pretty well with my original Colecovision.

It looks like the composite video decoder in my Blu-Sens TV could be different than expected to standard, so there is a chance the Colecovision Flashback was tested in a similar TV.

So in the light of this I'll test soon with an AOC 37" LCD TV

Went for a road trip this past weekend and found a CV Flashback at Toys R Us in Fargo, ND. I saw it and grabbed it... holding it above my head like a 12 year old and my wife and son chuckled. It was Colecovision ecstasy... and then we walked through the rest of the store and we looked at all the other goodies but I was back in 1983 and loving it.

And then we went to pay for our goods... the kid was like, why is there a street date for this? I didn't say anything and he had to get an override, then the manager showed up and saw the message. I was told I couldn't purchase it and he had to remove them from the floor. Oh the agony!! I was told he could hold one of them until the 22nd when they were available for sale. But it isn't worth the drive for that... I wasn't expecting to find one but it was there.

Oh well, time to put the $40 towards a flashcart instead. lol I have to say, it was fun while it lasted and gave me a retro feeling for a short time. :)

• Like 4

Ok, here is the test with the AOC TV. I think the quality is good.

gallery_30245_1250_438144.jpg

gallery_30245_1250_281646.jpg

Note in the picture of menu the camera "softened" the small color artifacts that appear in corners of some letters. Check letters K, Y and S, or select the higher resolution picture from the gallery.

The repeating artifact suggests there is a very small bug in video output (filter or emulation, I don't know)

Anyway games aren't affected as most of times the color mix tends to hide it.

• Like 1

The overlays quality is somehow cheap, we printed overlays using Phil Boland services and they look MUCH BETTER, again no big deal for a Flashback unit but I wanted to point that

Overlays should be sold separately, all overlays in a box

Thanks JF

Well, if they don't come out with an overlay set separately, I just may look into doing this myself.

• Like 2

OK, I tried looking back, but maybe I missed it....two questions:

1. What is the official release date of the ColecoVision Flashback?

2. For those of you who have managed to get one, is it confirmed whether or not the controllers will work on a real ColecoVision or not?

thanks!!!

October 1 for all three editions, though Toys R Us may release the standard edition as early as the 22nd. The controllers and controller ports are not backwards compatible.

October 1 for all three editions, though Toys R Us may release the standard edition as early as the 22nd. The controllers and controller ports are not backwards compatible.

I called my local Toys R Us and was told to come in Sept 22 at 10:00am.

They will have all three Flashback systems available (ColecoVision, Intellivision, 2600).

Hope they're right. Will find out in a week and a half...

You can't. The Atari Flashbacks and Sega Classic Consoles use standard pinouts, which is why they're cross compatible. The ColecoVision Flashback does not. I'm sure someone could build an adapter, though.

Bill, I'm not sure how technically inclined you are, but are the controller ports just miswired (ie pin adapters could make them work), or are the controllers logically or electrically incompatible internally (ie using incompatible logic to the originals)?

I'm not qualified to make that assessment. In theory it should be the same as the Intellivision Flashback with different pinouts on both ends. I'm sure we'll know more when more technically inclined people get into it after its wide release. There's no reason not to think it's the same type of thing as the Intellivision Flashback though simply because it's the same base hardware and same engineers.

I'm going to be making a 'official' thread when it gets closer to October 1st, but if anyone would like any of the Coleco Flashbacks from Sam's Club with the extra overlays (or the Intelivision one, which also has extra overlays, or any of the other Flashbacks, which I don't think differ in this case), just let me know. My parents have a membership and can invite me, so it would be base cost of $40 plus shipping, and I normaly ask for a 10 percent tip on the base cost for my time. Willing to ship overseas also.

• Like 4

I'm going to be making a 'official' thread when it gets closer to October 1st, but if anyone would like any of the Coleco Flashbacks from Sam's Club with the extra overlays (or the Intelivision one, which also has extra overlays, or any of the other Flashbacks, which I don't think differ in this case), just let me know. My parents have a membership and can invite me, so it would be base cost of $40 plus shipping, and I normaly ask for a 10 percent tip on the base cost for my time. Willing to ship overseas also.

PM sent!

For those who care, I turned in my Flashback feature to RETRO for their fifth issue. As part of that review process, I did notice one more thing that I wasn't sure was mentioned. The new overlays are not backwards compatible. They're too long. If you try to use original overlays on the new controllers they kind of slide around due to the extra room in the slot. There's no issue on the Intellivision side.

For those who care, I turned in my Flashback feature to RETRO for their fifth issue. As part of that review process, I did notice one more thing that I wasn't sure was mentioned. The new overlays are not backwards compatible. They're too long. If you try to use original overlays on the new controllers they kind of slide around due to the extra room in the slot. There's no issue on the Intellivision side.

who's their QC or marketing guy. They should really be fired. That's way too many strikes for people that would have bought a ton of these games. We may be the few but we also would have generated interest with family, friends, followers online. I am sure many have went from wanting to buy 5 or 6 to maybe buying 1. I know I went from maybe getting 2 to not wanting any now. I am probably going to get 1 intellivision from DG and call it a day.

• Like 1