IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I could use about 4 more of that size, so... so far, I count 16 including myself.

I'll wait for more to chime in so we can get as many people in on it as possible before I place an order. I also think I'll place the order and assemble them before I ask for any reimbursements. I'd hate for fear of losing money keep anyone from getting in on it. I'd like to see anyone who has interest be able to get one in their hands.

Running List:

chas10e x4 (maybe)

Hyperboy x4

KevinMos3 x4

stardust4ever x2

Tron Unit x2

• Like 1

w00t top of the stack \o/ .... shot ya' a PM ;)

I hadn't got 30k on Frenzy yet .... I kibby-out at about 6k :mad: ...after each screen I find myself re-tightening the knob.

also will have to replace the padding ....foam tape sounds perfect a little more dense. the weight of the ball affects the controller recoil :P

I hadn't got 30k on Frenzy yet .... I kibby-out at about 6k :mad: ...after each screen I find myself re-tightening the knob.

also will have to replace the padding ....foam tape sounds perfect a little more dense. the weight of the ball affects the controller recoil :P

Hmm... I'm wondering if maybe I should stick with using a screw like the one I used instead of one of those studs you used. I've not had that issue with mine. Or, maybe it's just a difference in how we handle the controller?... I guess I'll have to try one myself first before I buy enough studs for everyone.

I did notice that the first play session with the modded controller felt perfect. The rubber domes underneath provided all the resistance needed. However, the next day I noticed that it felt like it could use a bit of resistance. It may just be my taste changed or my initial experience was so good that the second time just couldn't live up to my memory of the first. :) Who knows. The foam tape (so far) makes the knob still spring back to center if I hold the controller sideways. However, whether I have the tape in there or not, it's still a superior controller to the nub that it came with AND I still greatly prefer it to the original Coleco controller. I'm still playing and enjoying all the games much better and more than before.

Any chance you're willing to modify a Colecovision Flashback controller for me for extra money? I have zero skills to do the work myself. I could send you mine also if it helps.

I could do that, except not for extra money. ;) All I would accept is covering costs (parts + shipping). However, all it takes to do it yourself is to simply pull out the original thumb nub (no disassembly needed), and screw in the new ball knob (although you might want to disassemble it to help you screw it in straight). I have no issue with helping you out; I just want to save you money if possible. :)

By the way, if anyone would like to order the size ball knobs to fit original Coleco controllers, we can add those in too. The right size (of which I bought several) will let you just remove the original thumb nub and screw on the ball knob. Absolutely no other modification needed to add the knob. Word of warning though... the controller will still suck, just not as much. I'm going to do the microswitch mods to one of mine and see if that, combined with a ball knob, makes an original controller more usable on a Coleco.

I'd like to order the knobs Monday, so if that's fine with everyone, I'll need to close this out by tomorrow. I wanted to post yesterday, but didn't. Perhaps I should start a separate thread for this and hold off a little longer, since there have been no new additions to the list.

Keep in mind, this is NOT ONLY for the knobs to fit a flashback controller, but you can order knobs to fit a standard Coleco controller as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I noticed that after Christmas our local grocer who is owned by Kroger Foods was clearancing out Flashbacks as well. I went back last weekend to see if they still had them but they reset their seasonal aisle and they are all gone, either sold or sent back to warehouse.

• Like 1

The local swap meet has a stack of Colecovision, Intellivision and Atari 4 and 5 Flashbacks at only twenty bucks each! Perhaps sourced from a chain that was clearing them out? Hope this is not a sign of the Flashback demise, would love to see a standalone TG16 Flashback.

My local Sam's Club still has CV and INTV Flashbacks for under $20. Most of the boxes are damaged though, so they would not be "collector" pieces.

• Like 1

Why not?

Anything that's put on Flashback hardware has to have strong brand recognition in the US and be sufficiently in demand to easily sell hundreds of thousands of units. The Turbo-Grafx/16 doesn't come close to meeting that threshold, nor does it have a sufficient number of highly recognizable games to license. I personally love the platform, but to look at it from a business standpoint, it just doesn't make the cut for a mass market product. If indeed the Flashback line were to expand again, the next most likely targets are either the Commodore 64 or Commodore Amiga. Obviously the latter doesn't necessarily have fantastic name recognition either, but it does have a large pool of games readily available to license. In any case, from what I've seen thus far, it doesn't look like the line-up will be expanding in 2015 anyway.

• Like 1

Anything that's put on Flashback hardware has to have strong brand recognition in the US and be sufficiently in demand to easily sell hundreds of thousands of units. The Turbo-Grafx/16 doesn't come close to meeting that threshold, nor does it have a sufficient number of highly recognizable games to license.

B...but.... Millitary Madness!!! :)

I agree with you, as much as I loved the TG-16. C-64 Flashback would be nice... wishful thinking, right?

Good question. Did they sell well enough to warrant another production, hopefully with more/better features and/or more games..?

There is no final confirmation, but last I saw, sales aside, there's a good chance we'll see new revisions of all of their existing products for this coming holiday. How much is changed and/or improved outside of the Sega handheld is still up in the air, however. If/when I'm allowed to say more, I of course will.

• Like 1

B...but.... Millitary Madness!!! :)

I agree with you, as much as I loved the TG-16.

It's not only that, of course, but what's actually available to license. For instance, Madden, Bomberman, Street Fighter II, Military Madness, Bonk, etc., all might be great bullet points on the box, but it doesn't mean they'd necessarily be available. There really is too much against the TG-16 to warrant anything except a digital offering, which has no risk of sitting in inventory unsold.

It's not only that, of course, but what's actually available to license. For instance, Madden, Bomberman, Street Fighter II, Military Madness, Bonk, etc., all might be great bullet points on the box, but it doesn't mean they'd necessarily be available.

Oh, trust me, I fully understand. I was mostly joking, anyway! Spent many years at Activision working right next to the guy who was doing all their retro stuff. It was never an easy process! ;)

Truth be told, I didn't know what a TurboGrafx was until Nintendo announced it for VC support under Wii. Some of my most played VC games were Turbo titles I might add. In 2014, I broke down and bought one! :P

Either way, TG-16 was another "underdog" console, like SMS, 7800, Coleco, Intelli, Vectrex, and pretty much every other pre-NES console, with the lone exception of the massively popular but dated 2600. But the games are freaking awesome though ;)

Since I always considered the Coleco and Intelli as "underdogs", then maybe others like SMS, 7800, or TG-16 might get added over time. But since you said there is a zero percent chance of it happening, I'll drop the subject.

• Like 1