IGNORED

Draconian (2600)

SpiceWare

Thanks!

You (and others) may like to check out my Rules of the Game blog* post. One of the things we've figured out is:

highest score for taking out station is 2700 points (hitting all 6 pods, 6*200 + 1500)

Bosconian's not a game I'm very familiar with, so the more people that can review the rules and spot things that are incorrect the better!

* In general the Draconian blog posts are more technical that what I post in this homebrew forum. Additionally, I put up new builds more frequently in the blog.

• Like 1

• Revised stations to only shoot from the 2 pods closest to the player's ship.
  • Fixed a bug which allowed you to destroy station pods without actually hitting them.
  • New Sectors for the Gamma Quadrant
  • I-Type and P-Type missiles are in play. The I-Type will try to intercept you, while the P-Type are just out on patrol.
For Harmony or Stella (requires Stella 5.0.0-pre8 or newer)

draconian_20170621.bin

Please reference Rules of the Game for what's been implemented and what's to come.

• Like 3

• Fixed a bug which allowed you to destroy station pods without actually hitting them.
  • New Sectors for the Gamma Quandrant
  • I-Type and P-Type missiles are in play. The I-Type will try to intercept you, while the P-Type are just out on patrol.

attachicon.gifdraconian_20170621.bin

I thought the I-type and P-type were always in a "V" shape? Or is it because I've been playing your previous versions so much I've forgotten how they were on the original game?

One general Bosconian question. Space station cannons are worth 200 points. Blowing up a space station is worth 1500 points. Does this mean that if you want to maximize points you should always destroy all 6 cannons, then the station, for a combined 200 x 6 + 1500 = 2700 points, or does it not work that way?

You do get maximum points by blowing all six pods. Blowing up the sixth pod always destroys the station. I try to take em out quickly though by aiming for the core. Less risk that way as the longer I hang around, the more likely my ship will get nuked by a projectile. Especially true in the latter stages with the clusters of space stations...

• New Sectors for the Gamma Quadrant

attachicon.gifdraconian_20170621.bin

I know what I'll be playing this weekend! :grin:

• Formations will now randomly launch from an offscreen station
  • "Battlestations" will be said when formation is launched
  • Formation Leader will home in on the player
  • Formation will scatter if the leader is destroyed
  • Bonus points earned if all ships in formation are destroyed. Points will be displayed after the last explosion clears.
  • Sound effect volume is temporarily reduced while a sample is played in order to increase clarity.
  • SECTOR # displayed while player's ship ramps up to full speed
  • Various performance improvements.
  • Various space optimizations, including removal of unused playfield font graphics.
post-3056-0-46524500-1498433281.png

Time-Remaining diagnostic display (Left Difficulty A) now uses A for Vertical Blank and B for Overscan time remaining (as in Above/Below visible screen).

post-3056-0-03773000-1498433285.png

I'll be busy with family the next couple of weeks, so look for the next update mid-July.

draconian_20170625.bin

Please reference Rules of the Game for what's been implemented and what's to come.

• Like 3

Great Effort (as always) from you! I like how you keep the Gameplay-Spirit of the old Games alive and give them a slight "Modernization".

Really looking forward to play the full Version!!!

(I guess with the Engine for this Game, there would be also the Possibility of a great Port of Sinistar (with a more forgiving Difficulty-Level). ;))

By the Way, you should put "Frantic" on your Signature - really no Game to be ashamed of... :) The "Crazy Otto" reminds me a lot of the mascot of the Band Disturbed

DisturbedWarrior.JPG

Edited by Hoessi666

Thanks!

The routines would lend themselves well to Sinistar. May have to look into that in the future.

Frantic will show up in my signature when it's finished. I plan to reboot it again next year. Using CDF will let me add the speech back into it. Only thing I'm familiar with Disturbed is their excellent cover of Genesis' Land of Confusion.

• Like 4

Great Effort (as always) from you! I like how you keep the Gameplay-Spirit of the old Games alive and give them a slight "Modernization".

Really looking forward to play the full Version!!!

In what way has Draconian been modernized in comparison to the original arcade?

Played again tonight, 6-25 build, and boy is that game awesome. I also tried the Beta, Gamma, and Delta levels as well. Some interesting design choices in stage layout to be sure in the Gamma and Delta stages. Also the enemy formations can be attacked and scatter making the game that much more frantic. This will be at the top of my homebrew "get list" when it is finally released in the AA store. :cool:

I've been playing the latest release off and on since it came out and I'm having tons of fun with it.

I'll say it again, most impressive, fun, replayable, best looking shooter on the 2600 in my opinion.

I've only made it to Level 5 but I'm excited to get further with more practice.

It blows my mind that most of the Bosconian arcade machines were converted to Galaga machines because Galaga made more money.

I like Galaga as much as the next guy but Bosconian has so much more going on.

• Like 1