IGNORED

Best Atari 8-bit and 16-bit emulators for Windows?

bfollowell

I've been out of the Atari emulator scene for several years now. Has anything changed much in the past few years? Any new emulators or developments? When I was last active, Atari800WinPlus was one of the better 8-bit emulators and Steem was one of the better 16-bit emulators. Is that still pretty much the same or should I consider other emulators now?

Most likely, I'll mainly be looking at running games.

Thanks.

- Byron

Altirra seems the best by far... I did use other emulators a number of years ago - and weren't as good as what Altirra can do.

I am designing graphics for ATARIBLAST! and don't have the original hardware anymore - and from what I know of, it does accurately reproduce what the original hardware does - almost to the last minute detail. Though the original hardware can only do everything 100% accurately...

STeem and Altira for sure. As someone who HAS original hardware, but still uses emulation because of the easiness of swittching os and basic revisions, as well as PAL and NTSC. Not an issue with emulation. I own 3 Amiha 500s and a 3000, but keep them safely tucked away in safe storage. No Pal/NTSC issues, Switching between OCS and AGA is not a problem. Try doing THAT on real hardware!! Best thing about Amiga 500 emulation???? NO FLICKER!!!!!!!!

STeem and Altira for sure. As someone who HAS original hardware, but still uses emulation because of the easiness of swittching os and basic revisions, as well as PAL and NTSC. Not an issue with emulation. I own 3 Amiha 500s and a 3000, but keep them safely tucked away in safe storage. No Pal/NTSC issues, Switching between OCS and AGA is not a problem. Try doing THAT on real hardware!! Best thing about Amiga 500 emulation???? NO FLICKER!!!!!!!!

Uhm, STeem and Altira are Atari computer emulators but you are referring to Commodore AMIGA computer models? Amiga computers require emulators such as UAE.

Uhm, STeem and Altira are Atari computer emulators but you are referring to Commodore AMIGA computer models? Amiga computers require emulators such as UAE.

Correct. That is why I started with STeem and Altira. I use UAE for Amiga. I just mentioned it as to explain why I prefer emulation over real hardware when I have the option of either.