IGNORED

Paddle lag on the Flashbacks?

I own a FB4 "non-deluxe" that didn't come with paddles in the box. I am currently looking for a working pair as many games isnt fun or playable without them but i have a hard time finding them here in Sweden so i am thinking about ordering from some nearby country via ebay or the like.

However, i have read on many places that the paddles are laggy and unresponsive on the FB4. Is this true? Does it make games almost unplayable or is it a minor issue? Does it matter if its new paddles from AtGames or old originals?

EDIT: If laggy, is this only on the 4 or does it affect other versions too?

I am thankful for any answers as it will help me decide if the extra cost and hassle for shipping from abroad will be worth it or just a waste anyway. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Raticon

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to report back with my finds. I got myself a light sixer 2600 with paddles and after testing the usual games like circus atari, breakout and some more on it i decided to test the paddles on the FB4 same games.

It seems that the paddle movement on the FB4 is just smoother and with a really small acceleration and deceleration feeling, but the movement on the original is more rapid and direct.

Like you said, hard to describe but different. I think it works great when you adjust to it which takes just minutes.

Edited by Raticon

A positive aspect i discovered is that paddle jitter is almost completely eliminated when plugged into a FB4. Both of my paddles experience some slight jitter on the sixer but none on the fb.

I wonder if its deliberate or a result of the signal being emulated on the fb. I mentioned earlier that it feels smoother and has a slight acceleration-deceleration effect going on.

• 1 month later...

I just got a FB4 without paddles, and immediately connected my Sears Heavy Sixer paddles to try them out. I have to say the paddle games seemed very laggy to me. I have Pong Sports and Warlords for my 2600Jr, and it is far more responsive than the FB4 with paddles.

That being said, I am very happy with it for joystick games. It's great being able to play from across the room and the game selection is very good, as well. I just wish they would license Activision games again.

A positive aspect i discovered is that paddle jitter is almost completely eliminated when plugged into a FB4. Both of my paddles experience some slight jitter on the sixer but none on the fb.

I wonder if its deliberate or a result of the signal being emulated on the fb. I mentioned earlier that it feels smoother and has a slight acceleration-deceleration effect going on.

Just laggy/slow emulation. Seen this in early VCS emulators runnning on underpowered PC's. And the Stella emulator does the same thing to a lesser degree.