IGNORED

[Aquarius] WAV file volume for CLOAD

MAC-42

Here's something I've been meaning to ask for a while now. Has anyone ever successfully CLOADed a program from a WAV file to real hardware? I can do it all day long in MESS, but my Aquarius doesn't want to play ball. I've tried loading through Quick View, QuickTime, Audacity, you name it. My guess is that the volume is not set on my Mac to a level that the Aquarius can work with. Does anybody have a setting they like, or an idea as to what I could be doing incorrectly? Thanks.

My Aquarius system is even picky when loading tapes from the original data recorder. I use a cheap cassette player with volume set to very load, and if I am lucky the system will read the tape.

I have better luck playing my original tapes over a stereo center connected to the PC, and loading the saved file into the Virtual Aquarius emulator.

Volume about 60~66%, equalizer off. Sometimes it helps to raise the higher tones on the equalizer.

Note: I have read somewhere that the Aquarius with PAL television (like mine) has more issues reading tapes due to difference Mhz !?

But you really have to crank up the volume.

Regs,

Martin

Edited by mvdsteenoven

I can't speak to the Aquarius PAL vs NTSC, but for the Intellivision ECS there is a definite difference in baud rate due to the different MHz of PAL vs NTSC. The NTSC uses a standard speed while PAL is a bit off. It wouldn't surprise me if Mattel repeated this design.

... this difference is not because PAL serial ports are different. Most computers supply a separate clock to the serial chip (or there is a simple clock divisor) which keeps most serial chips operating at about the standard base speeds.

In the old days, Mattel was trying to keep costs down way down and omitting a separate clock chip on the Intellivision ECS (at the penalty of PAL vs NTSC serial compatibility). Back then, I suspect a few other companies did so as well.

Hope that helps (rather than confuses things).

I have loaded games from my laptop very successfully, but had to fool around with volume a bit. Try taking the adjustment for headphone output down about halfway to give your self a lower range of adjustment with the main volume. Pick as small a program as you can find to test load with. I will mess with it tonight and see if I can determine an actual db range that works. I suppose it is possible that your cable could be flaky. I also remember having better success loading to a coco by making my headphone output mono, but can't even figure out how to do that on Win7. Also, it is possible for system sounds (email notification, etc) to foul up your load.

I can't help you on that, but where can I download one of these Aquarius cassette WAV files? I'm collectin' em.

If you download and install the Virtual Aquarius emulator, there is a folder (cassette) full of games in native .CAQ format. Then, in the Tools folder, there is a utility called CAQ2WAV to convert the files to .wavs. See the readme files in each folder for more info.

Edited by Chuck D. Head
  • Like 1

I need to get my Aquarius cassette cable reconnected to my bench PC anyway, so I'll try to remember to do this tonight, and I'll report the settings that I used. I don't remember having to fiddle with the audio levels too much the last time I tried it, although I'm sure it all depends on the software and hardware.

Here is a little more info on loading the files, graciously provided by Jay Silverheels a few years back:

The BAS is the loader program. Load it first, then type "run" and "enter."

You will be prompted to load the next file. Load the "A" files (for array) in sequentially.

Sort of off topic: how similar is the Aquarius to the ECS in regards to the, for the lack of a better term, "file format" for BASIC programs on tape? I've been wanting to get something running where I could type out a program in notepad, generate an ECS .wav file from that text file, and then load it onto the ECS

This has been on my mind for a while now. I bought a Aquarius cassette recorder that came with 13 or so cassettes loaded with programs (or at least that is what the labels state) a while back but I don't have a data cable. So I made one tonight. I have also read about using the Aquarius modem as a link to the pc (I absolutely hate using the Aquarius keyboard for typing basic programs).

I am very interested in saving programs as audio files for backup purposes(or even better would be using the modem to load programs saved as text files) . I also remember reading a website that talked about using a specific pc application for playing and recording using the pc.

When I have more info I will post it.

Just a heads up, there is someone on eBay selling sealed Aquarius modems for around $15 and they also have sealed Logo cartridges for around the same price (it is not me selling them, just wanted to make Aquarius collector's aware)

• Like 1

I haven't forgotten about this; I've just been busy. I finally found my data cable, so I'll give it a try with my bench PC before the end of this week.

Thanks for the tip on the Aquarius Modem and Logo cartridges. I already have lots of Logo carts, but I picked up one or two of the eBay seller's boxed modems. They arrived in great shape, so if anyone's interested, they're the real deal.

This has been on my mind for a while now. I bought a Aquarius cassette recorder that came with 13 or so cassettes loaded with programs (or at least that is what the labels state) a while back but I don't have a data cable. So I made one tonight. I have also read about using the Aquarius modem as a link to the pc (I absolutely hate using the Aquarius keyboard for typing basic programs).

13 Aquarius cassettes is a nice find, if they are also unique even better! Any unusual programs on those 13 cassettes, which are not within the VAQ emulator?

I bought a Aquarius cassette recorder that came with 13 or so cassettes loaded with programs (or at least that is what the labels state)

Wow! 13 Titles, congratulations! Which programs were on these cassettes? Any new and undiscovered titles?

I have also read about using the Aquarius modem as a link to the pc

I tried it but couldn't got it to work. I found an old modem at work according to the specs, but somehow I think there is a difference in the European interpretation of the Bell protocol and US standard.

I am very interested in saving programs as audio files for backup purposes(or even better would be using the modem to load programs saved as text files) . I also remember reading a website that talked about using a specific pc application for playing and recording using the pc.

Perhaps you are talking about this site: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mattelaquarius/conversations/messages/240

At my site you can find a schematic to connect your Aquarius to your PC using the Aquarius printer port: http://www.vdsteenoven.com/aquarius/pcconnect.html

I recently won a new tape on an eBay auction and just finished recording it. That was my first recording since I now have a Windows 7 64 bit PC.

The standard Sound recorder no longer support 8-bit mono WAV (which I always used on my XP system). So I had to use a demo version of GoldWave to record from tape.

After 8 tries I have finally managed to get a working file (fiddling with loudness is the only thing which helps)

I have used the following settings with GoldWave:

Hardware Audiomixer line-input at 75%

Default settings GoldWave

Options -> File Formats -> Tab: Default Save Format

Save as Type: *.WAV

Attributes: PCM Unsigned 8 bit, mono

x Use for Save, Save as...

x Do not allow other attributes

Options -> Control Properties -> Tab: Device

Quality line-input: "PCM 16 bit"

During recording GoldWave shows setting:

Wave PCM unsigned 8 bit, 48000 Hz, 768 kbps, stereo

After recording:

File -> Save As

Regs,

Martin

• Like 2

Oops sorry guys. The 13 tapes are NOT commercial tapes. They are blank cassettes with programs on them or at least that's what the labels state. I did get lucky about 10 years ago with a lot of coleco adam tapes I purchased that had lots of games. I hope to find some time to check them out this weekend. I will post what I find. Life has a funny way of cutting into my hobbies. LOL

GoldWave was the program I read about a few years ago for recording programs to the pc in wave files.

Is the printer port to pc a 2 way connection? I think the modem connection was 2 way but I may be wrong on that.

Wow! 13 Titles, congratulations! Which programs were on these cassettes? Any new and undiscovered titles?

I tried it but couldn't got it to work. I found an old modem at work according to the specs, but somehow I think there is a difference in the European interpretation of the Bell protocol and US standard.

Perhaps you are talking about this site: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mattelaquarius/conversations/messages/240

At my site you can find a schematic to connect your Aquarius to your PC using the Aquarius printer port: http://www.vdsteenoven.com/aquarius/pcconnect.html

I recently won a new tape on an eBay auction and just finished recording it. That was my first recording since I now have a Windows 7 64 bit PC.

The standard Sound recorder no longer support 8-bit mono WAV (which I always used on my XP system). So I had to use a demo version of GoldWave to record from tape.

After 8 tries I have finally managed to get a working file (fiddling with loudness is the only thing which helps)

I have used the following settings with GoldWave:

Hardware Audiomixer line-input at 75%

Default settings GoldWave

Options -> File Formats -> Tab: Default Save Format

Save as Type: *.WAV

Attributes: PCM Unsigned 8 bit, mono

x Use for Save, Save as...

x Do not allow other attributes

Options -> Control Properties -> Tab: Device

Quality line-input: "PCM 16 bit"

During recording GoldWave shows setting:

Wave PCM unsigned 8 bit, 48000 Hz, 768 kbps, stereo

After recording:

File -> Save As

Regs,

Martin

Thanks for the info I have your site bookmarked. Your site is where I got info to create my data cassette cable. Great site by the way, much appreciated. When I was a kid my parents would not spend the money on a C64 so I received an Aquarius once they were on clearance. So the Aquarius is what I had to learn codding and it has been with me since then.

Thanks,

Glenn

• Like 1

Okay, I finally found the time to dig out my cassette cable and try it with my bench PC, and after some experimentation, I was able to use it to play back WAV files into my Aquarius. This particular PC is an old Intel Celeron machine, with a basic Intel motherboard and an integrated Analog Devices AD1881 sound chip, running Windows XP. Pretty generic stuff.

I converted some cassette images from the Virtual Aquarius collection to WAV format using the CAQ2WAV tool in Virtual Aquarius, and then played them back using Winamp with the equalizer disabled. I had the Winamp volume set to 80%, the "Wave" output on the sound card set to 50%, and the master volume set to 100%. Here are some screenshots of Winamp and of the Windows Volume Control Panel so you can see the exact settings I used:

winamp.png

volume.png

(The loading of Aquarius machine language games from cassette is a two-step process. The first step is a simple "boot loader", which you load and run in BASIC. Type CLOAD at the BASIC prompt, press ENTER and play back the first file, and when you are returned to the prompt, type RUN. This starts the second step, in which you load the actual game program, a much longer "array" of data; just don't forget to press ENTER before playing back the next file! As you can see, I have two files enqueued in Winamp; the second file, with an "A" in the filename, is the game data.)

I was also able to use the same settings to play back the WAV files using the plain old Windows Sound Recorder, so I suspect they will work with just about any other media player, as long as the equalizer and any audio effects which might distort the output are disabled. I don't have a Mac handy, or else I would have tested that also.

For recording original cassettes to Aquarius-readable WAV files, I was able to use Audacity with settings similar to those Martin provided. I then used the WAV2CAQ utility to create an image that I could load into Virtual Aquarius for testing.

• 1 month later...

My Aquarius data recorder did not work but my homemade cable works. I just received a Radio Shack cassette recorder and it does work. I hope to find some time this weekend to try transferring the Aquarius tapes I have. I tried using an old boombox to transfer the games but that didn't work.

Where do you get the wav2caq utility? Maybe I missed it in the tools folder. I only remember seeing a caq2wav utility.

One of the tapes I have is labeled Star Trek game. Was there a Star Trek game released? Maybe it's just some homemade game. Based on the counter values it seems to be a rather large program.

Where do you get the wav2caq utility? Maybe I missed it in the tools folder. I only remember seeing a caq2wav utility.

Well, it looks like my memory has been playing tricks on me! When I wrote the quick tutorial in Post #18, I was working from memory when I added the bit about the "WAV2CAQ" tool. I could have sworn that there was such a tool in the "Tools" folder, because I seemed to remember using it when I transferred my tapes, but apparently there isn't! Apologies for the confusion.

(I later wrote an improved version of this tutorial here which does not include any reference to a "WAV2CAQ" tool; I'd remove it from #18 if I could.)

What I actually used (and misremembered as a separate tool) was a feature of the Virtual Aquarius emulator called the "WAV->CAQ Logger". I describe it in more detail below. Here's the quick version: "WAV->CAQ Logger" is an option that you can toggle in the "Util" menu of Virtual Aquarius; when it is enabled, any "WAV" file loaded into the emulator is converted on the fly to a corresponding "CAQ" file.

After you transfer your tapes to WAV files, you can play them into the emulator directly, without converting them to CAQ files first: when the simulated Aquarius is ready and waiting, choose "Play Cassette File" from the "File" menu, and change the file extension in the "File" dialog box from "CAQ" to "WAV" (there are some utilities in the "Tools" menu for preparing your WAV files in case the emulator can't read them). If your WAV files work with Virtual Aquarius, you can configure the emulator to convert them to CAQ files on the fly as soon as they are loaded. To enable this option, open the "Util" menu and choose the "WAV->CAQ Logger" option. This is a checkbox that you can toggle on or off; when it is on, and when you load a WAV file into the emulator from a folder on your computer, the emulator will output a CAQ file into the same folder. To disable the "WAV->CAQ Logger", choose the option from the "Util" menu again.

Alternatively, you can just continue to load your images as WAV files without converting them to CAQ format at all, but CAQ is a much more space-efficient format, so it's definitely recommended for images that you're interested in keeping. You can also use CAQ2WAV to transfer them back to WAV files again, which will give you a perfectly clean audio file that can be transferred to fresh tapes, to CD, or perhaps even to a portable media player.

One of the tapes I have is labeled Star Trek game. Was there a Star Trek game released? Maybe it's just some homemade game. Based on the counter values it seems to be a rather large program.

Others more familiar with the Aquarius cassette library can correct me on this, but I don't believe there was a commercial "Star Trek" game released. It's probably a BASIC program. Just the same, you should definitely archive it if you can.

Star trek for the Aquarius is not yet an official reported release. As soon as you get it up and running we are very interested to hear more about it :)

Okay attached are the first 2 programs I have been able to get a clean load. These are just someone's basic programs. You may find these interesting or not. This has been a learning experience for me and kinda fun as well. ;-)

Enjoy!

Thanks, much appreciated!!