Photo

The Atari joystick Pinout Common Ground.

7 replies to this topic

#1 Grevle OFFLINE  

Grevle

Moonsweeper

• 380 posts

Posted Fri May 16, 2014 7:26 AM

The Atari Joystick Pinout seems pretty simple, Pin 8 is the ground.So that is the common ground then ? and the pins for joystick movement and the button then are the + connections that share this commong ground ?  Can anyone confirm that this is the way the Atari pinout works. Pin 7 is +5v, is that for powering the joystick circuit ?

joystick.gif

Edited by GentleBaron, Fri May 16, 2014 7:29 AM.

#2 ricortes OFFLINE  

ricortes

Dragonstomper

• 624 posts

Posted Fri May 16, 2014 12:41 PM

Yes, common ground. The 5V supply was for running paddles and the touch tablet. Since this is a circuit board trace and Atari power supplies are exactly over kill, limit should be ~200 mamp before tragedy strikes.

The paddle inputs are charge pump<?> timers which count the time it takes for the paddle to change logic levels. Something like a voltage input of .8V would probably never trigger them. How it is done is the 5V is fed into one side of a pot/variable resistor and the wiper feed to the paddle pin. I've seen paddles in the 1 meg Ohm to 100k Ohm range.

#3 Rybags ONLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 15,667 posts

Posted Fri May 16, 2014 12:58 PM

Directionals are held at "1" value by pullup resistors, grounding each switch returns it to a "0" value.  Same applies to joystick button.

+5 V should never be connected directly to GND and not normally used by joysticks, although used by some autofire circuits.

Some joysticks actually operate by using the +5V (some Sega) and shouldn't really be used with Atari or Commodore gear.

+5 V used by paddle rotary - the Pot reducing that voltage which is returned on the paddle inputs to the computer.

Paddle value determined by how long it takes to charge a capacitor to a threshold level.

Paddle buttons equate to joystick left/right values.

#4 David_P OFFLINE  

David_P

Dragonstomper

• 887 posts

Posted Fri May 16, 2014 2:31 PM

The four joystick directional pins can be either read or write. There are plans in the wild for connecting two computers via a custom joystick cable.

#5 BillC OFFLINE  

BillC

Stargunner

• 1,791 posts

Posted Fri May 16, 2014 3:21 PM

The four joystick directional pins can be either read or write. There are plans in the wild for connecting two computers via a custom joystick cable.

Joystick ports have also been used for the CX-85 numeric keypad, modems(MPP/Supra/Anchor Automation) and a hard drive interface(Corvus)

#6 BigO OFFLINE  

BigO

River Patroller

• 4,381 posts

Posted Fri May 16, 2014 5:24 PM

Something the OP might find interesting when it comes to the joystick and paddle controls.

http://atariage.com/...sories_Low.html

http://atariage.com/...tics/index.html

Edited by BigO, Fri May 16, 2014 5:24 PM.

#7 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 4,504 posts

Posted Sun May 25, 2014 8:05 AM

Detailed breakdown, explanation, including differences regarding expansions on the default/standard for (8 bit) computers here.

#8 KLund1 OFFLINE  

KLund1

Dragonstomper

• 566 posts

Posted Wed Jun 8, 2016 7:34 PM

The Atari Joystick Pinout seems pretty simple, Pin 8 is the ground.So that is the common ground then ? and the pins for joystick movement and the button then are the + connections that share this commong ground ?  Can anyone confirm that this is the way the Atari pinout works. Pin 7 is +5v, is that for powering the joystick circuit ?

attachicon.gifjoystick.gif

I am rebuilding a CX-40 with bad female connectors. I got cheap sage controllers to replace the cables. But the saga wire colors do not match the Atari wire colors. I see here the pinout for the female end of the cable but I can't find the matching side on the Atari PCB by pin number only by wire color. Can someone point me to a link that has a pic of the cx40 PCB that has matching pinout numbers? edit: the PCB with the connectors all on the right side

Many thanks

Edited by KLund1, Wed Jun 8, 2016 7:35 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users