IGNORED

Setting MESS using QMC2

jacquesg

I might give QMC2 another try as I can not get MESS to configure or save properly.

I really hate the MESS system of set up. Most user hostile unfriendly setup possible.

Why does it not have a file you can configure what you want and that is it. OMG that would make sense!!!

You know mess.ini has a listing spot you put everything devices and if it errors out it tells you where it is and stops.

No instead you get 09AB0867846C9ABF0DA9845 with no idea WTF this means.

Why all the insane convoluted crap of writing a script from cmd line then because the cmd line is too long it errors out with no clue of what is wrong.

QMC2 crashed MESS and no way to figure out what was wrong. Normal MESS set up is so mystery filled as to be like building a bomb blind.

Sorry on a rant this has been 2 months now attempting to get MESS up and running the way I want.

I've been using MESS since Raphael started asking questions about the Geneve, and have never had anywhere near all the problems you've described here. Sure, there have been little bumps in the road, but I read the instructions, fixed ONE THING AT A TIME, and asked a specific question about a problem if I had one. The response to my question always solved the problem.

Ranting about something you don't understand won't solve your problem, study and applying the information you learn will solve the problem(s) you are having. MESS is not difficult if you pay attention to the instructions given and follow the directions accordingly. MESS makes a lot of sense to me and is by far the most accurate emulator available for the TI or Geneve. In fact, I can take my CF cards from my TI or Geneve to my PC and it's like I'm sitting at my TI or Geneve while I'm sitting at my PC, as I've got MESS configured to be exactly the way my TI & Geneve are set up.

Something that may help you is understanding that you can't have a drive file open in TIimagetool while you start MESS. Close TIimagetool before starting MESS, it's a Windows file open limitation, only one program can be using a file at a time - and that's a wonderful idea. The error messages when MESS can't start ALWAYS tell you EXACTLY what the problem is. Just read the error message and correct what it says, most of them are 'file already open' errors due to having a drive file open in TIimagetool.

I use the batch file below to start my TI emulation in MESS. It works EVERY TIME WITHOUT FAIL, as long as I'm not dumb enough to have one of the drive files open in TIimagetool.

G:

CD \MESS

MESSui.exe TI99_4ev -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot6 speech -peb:slot4 32kmem -peb:slot3 hsgpl -peb:slot2 evpc -hard1 G:\mess\disks\TI-Zip-Drive.hd -hard2 G:\mess\disks\harddrive.hd -natural

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TASKKILL.EXE /F /IM MESSui.EXE

It even closes MESS for me when I click exit due to the Taskkill line I added at the end, conveniently saving the step of having to close MESS twice.

I use the batch file below to start my Geneve emulation in MESS. It works EVERY TIME WITHOUT FAIL.

G:

CD \mess

messui geneve -peb:slot8 hfdc -hard1 G:\mess\disks\MdosGpl.hd -peb:slot6 speech -peb:slot3 tirs232 -mouse

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TASKKILL.EXE /F /IM messui.EXE

It also closes MESS for me when I click exit.

I don't find MESS hostile or unfriendly in the least, just accurate. Take the time to find out what is required from YOU, the user, and proceed accordingly.

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 1

Well it just happened again here is what I did:

START

RUN pasted in script from Michael:

C:\mess\mess64 ti99_4ev -peb:slot3 speech -peb:slot4 samsmem -peb:slot6 tirs232 -peb:slot8 hfdc -hard1 C:\mess\disks\hd1.hd -hard2 C:\mess\disks\hd2.hd -hard3 C:\mess\disks\hd3.hd -flop4 C:\mess\disks\rxbgplassm.dsk -gromport gkracker -cart C:\mess\carts\rxb_2012.rpk

WINDOWS SHUTTING DOWN!!!

Turns off computer!

I restarted computer and ran:

eventvwr.exe

Gives these results:

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Date: 6/23/2014 6:47:58 PM
Event ID: 10
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: MacPro
Description:
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMI" Guid="{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}" EventSourceName="WinMgmt" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-06-24T01:47:58.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>3795</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>MacPro</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>//./root/CIMV2</Data>
<Data>SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99</Data>
<Data>0x80041003</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Microsoft FIX IT did not repair the problem even though it reported this issue fixed.

After doing a ton of reading I think it is HARDWARE RELATED to driver issues in my MAC PRO BOOTCAMP and Windows 7.

I see many many people with same issue and no one can get a answer from Microsoft about this problem so it is NOT APPLE RELATED, it is Microsoft/Application related.

People with all types of brands of computers have had this issue not just APPLE.

Something in MESS is causing this problem. Here is the explanation from Microsoft:

This originated in the Windows 7 SP1 DVD/ISO creation process. There was an issue in the creation process that caused a WMI registration to remain in the DVD/ISO. Since the registration is designed to work only during the DVD/ISO creation process, it fails to run on a live system and causes these events. These events are not indicative of any issue in the system and can be safely ignored. If however you want to prevent these events from getting generated and want to remove this specific WMI registration manually, please follow the steps mentioned in this article for running the workaround script.

APPLE COMPUTER is not the problem here. It is entirely Microsoft and the hardware related. MESS just has a bad habit of being the freaking trigger.

I will attempt to use the fix so will keep you posted.

Rich, I don't know Apple systems very well, but what about running MESS natively in OSX or whatever you're using? Can't get worse, I guess, and you don't have the Windows issues. Shutting down because of high load is a silly behavior of that system, unless you have a setting in the BIOS which limits the temperature of the CPU. Maybe that is the case?

At least on weaker systems MESS is known to drive the load up to the top. My Core-i7 is running at about 30% load with MESS on one core.

I know several MESS devs who are running it under OSX.

Rich, I don't know Apple systems very well, but what about running MESS natively in OSX or whatever you're using? Can't get worse, I guess, and you don't have the Windows issues. Shutting down because of high load is a silly behavior of that system, unless you have a setting in the BIOS which limits the temperature of the CPU. Maybe that is the case?

At least on weaker systems MESS is known to drive the load up to the top. My Core-i7 is running at about 30% load with MESS on one core.

I know several MESS devs who are running it under OSX.

Unlikely the Temp as it does this instantly the second I run the Script.

The Xeon is a Server chip while the I5 and I7 are the public chips that are not designed for high end servers.

The Mac Pro I have is a SERVER CPU

Xeon Nehalem 293 Quad core water cooled.

LOL the latest upgrade is a Xeon 4Ghz 128 Core for $500 and that is one hell of a upgrade.

Edited by RXB