IGNORED

Jaguar AV Mod - Why?

xucaen

I started seeing information on the web about modifying the Jaguar with AV outputs. Why would anyone do that if the Jaguar already outputs composite video? I plan on getting an AV cable and plugging into the back. Isn't that preferred over hacking the console? :?

I started seeing information on the web about modifying the Jaguar with AV outputs. Why would anyone do that if the Jaguar already outputs composite video? I plan on getting an AV cable and plugging into the back. Isn't that preferred over hacking the console? :?

Well, it might be because the cables are hard to come by. The Jaguar only came with the RF switchbox. They sold the extra cables... RCA or S-Video as sort of an extra way of making a little bit of money. I know that the S-Video cables are getting harder and harder to find though (original ones that is). But yeah... unless it's SCART, which is different.

• Like 2

all i can think of is that the original cables are a little annoying because of their fixed length. If you want to run an AV cable over longer distances then it's either a mod or a custom built cable (or a cable extender which might compromise the quality).

I prefer the catbox / scatbox / external expansions personally but they are also a little bulky behind the system and may not be ideal for shelving arrangements and are presumably more expensive than the mod

only reason I'd personally mod my jaguar would be to get an digital audio output (just because of the way my particular combination of av equipment is set up).

Why bother getting a console-specific AV cable when you can use cables you already have? What will you do when you can't find that one lone specialized (and often) home-made cable?

atarijaguar8ko.jpg

Edited by Rex Dart
  • Like 5

Why bother getting a console-specific AV cable when you can use cables you already have?

You assume I have AV cables laying around. Every cable I own is being used. (Except for an HDMI cable I have still in the original package from a Blu Ray player because I already had one.)

What will you do when you can't find that one lone specialized (and often) home-made cable?

can't find a cable? what do you think I am, a monster? :D

• 4 years later...
Hi guys,

New to the forum, actually still have to buy my own Jag console.

This console is on my radar.

It has been modified with AV mod. Not sure what exactly that means...

Please take a look at the 5th image.

Do you know if this AV mod kills the RGB signal out?

I can only purchase it if RGB signal remains intact.

I ask this because in the case of N64, modifying it for RGB output kills the AV and S-Video out.

So who knows if this AV mod kills the Jag's RGB out... Better ask before buying it.

Can anyone help me finding it out?

Thanks!

I don't get it, either. Why mar the original console like that if the signals are right there on the A/V port? Surely building a custom cable would be less trouble than drilling holes and mounting connectors. I'm in the process of building an RGB cable for use with the Framemeister; the necessary 24-pin edge connectors are pretty cheap, especially if you buy in bulk.

Hi guys,

New to the forum, actually still have to buy my own Jag console.

This console is on my radar.

It has been modified with AV mod. Not sure what exactly that means...

Please take a look at the 5th image.

https://produto.merc...unico-no-ml-_JM

Do you know if this AV mod kills the RGB signal out?

I can only purchase it if RGB signal remains intact.

I ask this because in the case of N64, modifying it for RGB output kills the AV and S-Video out.

So who knows if this AV mod kills the Jag's RGB out... Better ask before buying it.

Can anyone help me finding it out?

Thanks!

Welcome

to the

Forum! :)

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the replies ^_^

Yeah, it's bizarre (to say the least) that anyone would AV mod a Jag, considering it already outputs RGB signal natively (which I guess is worlds better than AV).

I'm very afraid to buy this particular console only to find out the RGB signal has been killed by the mod...?

The reason I'm willing to take the risk is because this is particularly a "cheap" Jag, as far as prices go here in Brazil (consider the 2.2k price tag is in Brazilian currency - much weaker than USD).

An un-modded console here is north of 2.5k, which I guess I'll take a look at.

Ebay should be an option too, but most US and European sellers won't send it overseas, so maybe I'm stuck with local sellers afterall... :(

Why mod? There was av, s video and rgb cables already made for it. I've got several of each, granted I bought bitd and they may now be prohibitively expensive, haven't checked in prices, but if someone is buying a jag at current prices, I doubt price is a real deterr ent.

Now if someone mods for vga, or HDMI, I could see that.

• Like 1