IGNORED

Syndicate

82-T/A

Hey guys, ok, tell me what's up with this game... the game looks totally awesome, sort of like a Command & Conquer game, but with a bit more strategy. It also looks like you can save your game. I've got the game, but never really got around to playing it because navigation was so difficult. I really, REALLY hope the answer to this is yes, but... is there a way to play Syndicate with a mouse on the Jaguar? It seems (from what I remember) is that it was almost impossible to play with the controller.

Has anyone here actually spent any real time playing it? It almost reminds me of something like X-Com, which is awesome!

Never could get into this game. Bores me to tears. Would rather play something like UFO: Enemy Unknown, which was a similarly popular game for computers at the time.

Yeah, that's X-Com, like I mentioned above. UFO Enemy Unknown was the UK (original) name for that game.

I kind of think Syndicate is a bit like that, but without the heroics...

I remember trying to play it, and it was near-impossible to do so with the controller. With a mouse, it would be simple.

If you read the manual, you will find that this game is very playable with the Jaguar keypad/controller.

I like Syndicate a lot, but unfortunately is the Jaguar version so poorly programmed that the pace of the game is very choppy and slooooow :(

• Like 1

This was the second game I got for the Jag, and I got it back around 1994 or so. I've put quite a lot of time into it and beat it twice. It's ridiculously choppy when you zoom out, but I don't think the normal view is too choppy considering the age of the game. It starts pretty slowly. You really need to research new stuff to get into the good parts of the game, and the only way to fund your research is to beat a few levels so your tax base is built up. But after the first hour or so it's pretty enjoyable. Stick with it if you're interested, and I think you'll find it pretty rewarding.

• Like 1

The video in the original post is of the PC version, not the Jag version. The Jaguar port is a port of the Amiga version with a zoom feature. The Jaguar version is the only version with the zoom feature. The Jaguar version is missing the intro movie and some of the cut scenes found in the Amiga and PC versions. Personally, Syndicate is my favorite Peter Molyneux game. The Genesis and SNES ports of Syndicate are kinda weak and the SNES version is seriously gimped with all the censorship.

Syndicate is a great game on the Jaguar. I bought it back when if first came out on the Jag and have finished it several times. Syndicate, like Cannon Fodder and a few of the other computer ports on the Jag do play better with a mouse and keyboard, but Syndicate is still very playable with the Jag-pad. Syndicate isn't a pick-up and play type game and you definitely need to read the instruction booklet. If you put in a little time and figure out how to play the game, you'll be developing all kinds off cool weapons, gear and upgrades for your cyborgs and zipping around the levels like it is nothing. Once mastered, Syndicate becomes very rewarding and you'll figure out why many people consider the game a classic.

Here is a great guide that explains how to play Syndicate and explains all the features in the game. It's slightly over an hour long, but if you just watch the first 15 minutes, it explains most of the features and how to play the game.

Here is a video showing the zoom feature, advanced gameplay and the speed of the Jag version. It's the only video of the Jag version of Syndicate that I found where it looks like the person playing the game actually looks like they know what they are doing. All the other videos I saw are people playing the game poorly and just flailing around (like many Jag videos on youtube).

Edited by Major Havoc 2049
  • Like 3

Syndicate is a great game...

Here is a great guide...

Here is a video...

Hey, thanks for that post! That was really helpful. I'm going to start playing it... and honestly, the zoom feature didn't really seem that bad!

I've got to spend a bit more time playing the games (like these) that are a bit more in-depth than the instant play type games.

Great game, but terribly painful to play without a mouse. :(

True as in Cannon Fodder and (not quite as much because of the lack of action) Theme Park aswell, but that did not kill the game for me. I enjoyed it very much even with some frustating controls.

But I never understood why the game would have to slow to a crawl, there are missions which become really cumbersome. I remember one where you have to pass a railway but when then train starts moving everything is jerky and stutters and I would die a thousand times because of the combination of this and the controls. Or another one where you would have to take down a fort or something and as soon as some cars would move everything was really slow. Not to mention everytime you fire a rocket launcher...

Still back then I had the patience and a blast playing the game until my save game was ereased. Never touched it again and I better keep my good memories because today I would lack the patience and the time. Had some great fun with it though.

• 5 months later...

Been many a year since i played it, but back when i had my Jaguar, i bought Syndicate the day the game came out, i wanted it that badly.Graphically it's fine, far better than the awful, cut down SNES/MD versions, the zoom function i never really used and to me it seemed pointless and yes the game is hampered somewhat by joypad control, but you can hardly blame Ocean for that.

It's a slow burner yes, plus some missions are bloody frustrating, but i stuck with it and got to the final mission, but never could complete it, just too much carnage going on.

I seem to recal were claims of an uncensored PC/Amiga version running in Bullfrog's offices back in the day, babies in prams on fire etc, ultra violent version of the game, but it could be memory playing tricks.

Syndicate wars on PS1 (never played PC version) was even better and i'd kill for a true follow up.Starbreeze's Syndicate on PC/PS3/360 was not a reboot, just used the bloody name.

• 4 months later...

Picked up Syndicate today for $25, nice shape cart and manual only. I consider that price a small victory all things considered. This was one of the last Jaguar games I was missing that I really want to play and looks like it could be decent.

Any tips for my first time out? Any setting I should use? Going to have to grab the Jaguar mouse to get the most out of this one..

Syndicate is one of the three games I've yet to open and play on my jag. (Trevor Mcfur and Iron Soldier 1 being the others).

I have IS2 on cd, why I never opened the originaL. Trevor Mcfur I played in the past, and wasn't too impressed other than graphics, figured I'd stick to protector se.

Probably will keep it sealed =)

Picked up Syndicate today for $25, nice shape cart and manual only. I consider that price a small victory all things considered. This was one of the last Jaguar games I was missing that I really want to play and looks like it could be decent.

Any tips for my first time out? Any setting I should use? Going to have to grab the Jaguar mouse to get the most out of this one..

Not certain this is a factor however I appear to be stuck in that I am unable to compete the remaining mission and I believe that is because I do not have the necessary upgrades so you might want to put more consideration into the missions available and which upgrades you might need and their order.

It has been a while since I played but I think my current issues are related to my guys not being able to walk fast enough and that other upgrades may have in some way added weight thus slowing them down without any sufficient leg upgrade, but I could be wrong.

Vehicles tend to blow up easily when shot which can be useful if your not in them at the time.

If you recover a weapon that you have not researched yet, doesn't it help decrease the research time once you start researching the weapon? If that is the case, then there should be an optimum order for researching weapons that minimizes the amount of time spent in research. Are there any other cases where you can help your research?