IGNORED

Syndicate

82-T/A

He was nonsensically referring to the d-pad as a "plus" for some reason. There is of course no plus button on a Jaguar controller.

Yeah ok. Went right over my head. Like a dummy I spent ten minutes last night nosing through the instructions trying to find what he was referencing.

You guys are serious? Look at the controller. The up / down / left / right is a big friggin' "+"...

If you read the manual, you will find that this game is very playable with the Jaguar keypad/controller.

I like Syndicate a lot, but unfortunately is the Jaguar version so poorly programmed that the pace of the game is very choppy and slooooow :(

This indeed. I have been digging into this game and IMO there is nothing about the Jagpad that makes this a deal breaker. And the game puts the keypad to excellent use. I can only imagine what playing the corresponding games are like on the 3do and PSX without the keypad.

The slowdown that shouldn't be there does get bad unfortunately.

Been many a year since i played it, but back when i had my Jaguar, i bought Syndicate the day the game came out, i wanted it that badly.Graphically it's fine, far better than the awful, cut down SNES/MD versions, the zoom function i never really used and to me it seemed pointless and yes the game is hampered somewhat by joypad control, but you can hardly blame Ocean for that.

It's a slow burner yes, plus some missions are bloody frustrating, but i stuck with it and got to the final mission, but never could complete it, just too much carnage going on.

I seem to recal were claims of an uncensored PC/Amiga version running in Bullfrog's offices back in the day, babies in prams on fire etc, ultra violent version of the game, but it could be memory playing tricks.

Syndicate wars on PS1 (never played PC version) was even better and i'd kill for a true follow up.Starbreeze's Syndicate on PC/PS3/360 was not a reboot, just used the bloody name.

Syndicate Wars is the real sequel. It's awesome, never did win it though, but the Cheat code... was 'pooslice' I can't make that up.... my brother and I still randomly say 'poo slice' to each other.

This indeed. I have been digging into this game and IMO there is nothing about the Jagpad that makes this a deal breaker. And the game puts the keypad to excellent use. I can only imagine what playing the corresponding games are like on the 3do and PSX without the keypad.

The slowdown that shouldn't be there does get bad unfortunately.

From what I understood of the other console versions, they were sub-par hacked up ones that ended up to be quite different than the original, except for the Jaguar, which is almost a direct port from the Amiga. I beat the game on my friend's A500 a few years before the Jaguar came out. He'd fallen asleep, only to wake up to me yelling 'motherf***er!' because the ending video after the last mission was the same video as all of the other end of mission videos...

But I did beat it there. I should fire it up and give it a shot on the Jaguar again.

I will agree with Cannon Fodder being really difficult without a mouse, but I don't recall Syndicate being hard, just seemed to be a bit slower.

Gee, thanks for the spoiler. Appreciate that.

Ha, that was the ending on the Amiga version, I think other versions actually had different endings (no clue on the Jag). In fact I think the PS1 version had a completely different 'I beat the mission' video.

So, not to side track this, but everyone keeps talking about the mouse on Jag. Is there somewhere that talks about using/how to use a mouse? What games work, how to get one, etc?

Search engine is your friend, this thread provides pretty much all you need to know: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225904-developing-a-mouse-for-the-jaguar-that-requires-no-drivers

• Like 2

A few months ago I played through Syndicate on the Jag again, beginning to end. This was my third time through the game, and I enjoyed it just as much as the first two. It's absolutely playable with a mouse, but it helps to know the shortcuts the programmers included to help out. The option button cycles through available targets and items, beginning with the closest to the cursor. If you hold down the C button while you're pressing a direction, the screen scrolls in that direction (without you having to move the cursor to the edge of the screen first). These two things alone make navigation pretty simple.

You really need to know all the different controller combinations to play the game though. It's not a pick-up-and-play game. But it's absolutely worth learning all the controls if you like the genre.

Gee, thanks for the spoiler. Appreciate that.

Hahah!!!

On a side note, there's several versions of the game on the PC too. I think there's a Syndicate Plus, which is basically the expansion pack and a few other add-ins. There's also Syndicate Wars, and then the new re-release from a few years ago.

With a mouse? Or without a mouse?

Thank you for the shortcut tips. I am not sure if the manual mentioned the option shortcut but to there's a lot in there so easy to overlook.

Sorry. It's absolutely playable without a mouse. Looks like I can't go back and edit my post.

Hahah!!!

On a side note, there's several versions of the game on the PC too. I think there's a Syndicate Plus, which is basically the expansion pack and a few other add-ins. There's also Syndicate Wars, and then the new re-release from a few years ago.

There was a crappy FPS a few years ago with the Syndicate name. The one you want is called Satellite Reign, which is phenomenal.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

There is a guy working on overlays right now (lots of people actually) but I have requested to him about an overlay for this game and he is making them. So likely if you want one he has a ton of other games available for as well.

Yes this game screams for an overlay, I'd pick one up.

Plix drop a hot link when the item is up!

(Actually I just did my what-5-games-would-I-keep routine and actually had a hard time to choose between Rayman, or Tempest or this game Syndicate for the fifth entry [among Defender2K, Brutal sports, Ultra Vortek, Trevor McFur - which I play a lot actually] but I wisely settled for Tempest ofc... but having this game against the big T is interesting... might be the fact that I never will be good enough to beat level 64 on Tempest, but could see myself play this game for years to come. Always liked Syndicate even though it's a bit over-complex/large learning curve.)

Yes this game screams for an overlay, I'd pick one up.

Plix drop a hot link when the item is up!

(Actually I just did my what-5-games-would-I-keep routine and actually had a hard time to choose between Rayman, or Tempest or this game Syndicate for the fifth entry [among Defender2K, Brutal sports, Ultra Vortek, Trevor McFur - which I play a lot actually] but I wisely settled for Tempest ofc... but having this game against the big T is interesting... might be the fact that I never will be good enough to beat level 64 on Tempest, but could see myself play this game for years to come. Always liked Syndicate even though it's a bit over-complex/large learning curve.)

Here is the link to his thread. He seems pretty cool I have been talking with him about the ones I want to get that aren't yet made and Syndicate was one of them. SO if he sees another person with interest in it likely he will make them!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/267811-possible-jaguar-overlaysfor-what-games/

From what I understood of the other console versions, they were sub-par hacked up ones that ended up to be quite different than the original.

I also have the SNES version. It's absolutely garbage compared the Jag. I've only beat a few levels and finally gave up on controlling with a SNES pad.

I also have the SNES version. It's absolutely garbage compared the Jag. I've only beat a few levels and finally gave up on controlling with a SNES pad.

I have never played it on the SNES but I know that version exists. It seems tho with the amount of usage you can get with the keypad on the Jag version that the SNES version would be severely limited then with only the few buttons it has. I am hoping the guy making overlays will make one like that awesome one in the link above from 2013. That would be sweet!