IGNORED

Atari 5200 emulation on XBOX

Nebulon

Is it just me or is it impossible to map the original XBOX controller to the necessary keys to make Atari 5200 games run on the emulator? (as featured on the BAED for the original XBOX)

I've tried everything on there, and have only been able to access the fire button, options, soft reset, and hard reset.

No luck at all with movement directions or start.

You need to download the latest madmab edition version of atarixlbox where the 5200 mappings are done correctly. Not only that but it was updated to use the xbox analog sticks as true analog and has overlay support, among other things.

Try here http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3746

Third post links to a site with lots of goodies and a link to a place where you can get the emulators... you might have to join to see that post, I can't remember.

You need to download the latest madmab edition version of atarixlbox where the 5200 mappings are done correctly. Not only that but it was updated to use the xbox analog sticks as true analog and has overlay support, among other things.

Try here http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3746

Third post links to a site with lots of goodies and a link to a place where you can get the emulators... you might have to join to see that post, I can't remember.

Thanks!

I was wondering about the analog controls. Good to see that they addressed that too.

Very cool. ;-)

I see that these are arranged as files instead of ISOs.

I guess I could load them on the XBOX hard drive (however, I need to learn more about the folder structure). I've yet to figure out where the AvaLaunch dash is getting its menu item names from.

I don't suppose you know where I can find information on how to make my own bootable custom XBOX DVDs, do you? I'm pretty sure there's an app on the PC that can read XBOX discs...

And then I found this:

http://www.avalaunch.net/docs/manualv2.2.pdf

Example of a “List”:

<list name="Games">
<path scanlevel="2">E:\Games</path>
Path should be directed to the folder you want to scan for xbe’s. The scan level (2 in this case) sets the levels of
sub folders to scan from the starting point. If not defined, it will simply default to 2 sub folders. Meaning that all
default.xbe in:

E:\Games
E:\Games\<folder>

will be included in the list.
If you want to divide your applications into sub-categories you can add 'List' items to a list
Example:

<list name="Games">
<list name="Action">
<path>
E:\Games\Action
</path>
</list>
</list>

As far as I can tell, any disc with default.xbe in the root directory should boot automatically. I'll have to test this out.

It would be nice to start with an existing emulator disc (like BAED) and then modify its ISO on a PC, then burn that to a DVD and run it on the XBOX. I wonder if Qwix will allow me to do that... ?

Sorry for the late response. It's been a loooong time since I've used avalaunch. But you could probably edit some .xml file somewhere to add the paths. Eseentially it is like that sections says. Most people have applications on E:\Apps\, F:\Apps\. Xbox games in E:\Games, F:\Games. Homebrew/emulators in E:\Emus, F:\Emus.

So you would need a couple extra lines in the proper section of the .xml

<list name="Emulators">

<path scanlevel="2">E:\Emus</path>

<path scanlevel="2">F:\Emus</path>

Most emulators you can just copy into a directory underneath your emulator directory ( E:\emus, etc) and the dash you are using will detect the default.xbe file and display it when you go into that section. You can FTP stuff over to your xbox. Or if you switch dashes and use something like XBMC you can set up a samba share on your pc and transfer it using XBMC.

There are some ISO creators but it has been a while since I use them. I always use to rely on some standalone cmd prompt program to build my disks. But I think QWIX might work as well. QWIX is also real handy for copy .ISO files straight over to your xbox. Creating DVD's can be more trouble than it's worth and unless you have some form of a menu program putting one emulator on at a time can be painful.

You should check out SPPV's installers over at his site. Might save you some trouble.. http://tristan280.wix.com/sppv-apps

• Like 1