IGNORED

Manhole for the Atari 2600

atari2600land

Well, it's been a while (except for Larry the Lemon), most of my time has been devoted to Odyssey 2 programs. So I thought I'd bring the classic Game & Watch game "Manhole" to the Atari 2600. All that work so far are the manholes. Controls are like you'd expect: Left & Up does the top-left one, Left & Down does the bottom-left one, etc. A walking animation for my guy would be good too. Or design a new guy altogether. Mine seems to be having a big head day. Tell me what you think. I was going to do multisprite kernel, but I couldn't get the screen working with just the playfield in, so I did this instead.

manhole2.bas.bin

manhole2.bas

Edited by atari2600land
  • Like 1

OK, I sped the game up and the levels increase at points 5, 10, and 15. I also added a little song. I think a good name for this would be "Across." What do you think?

Much better, and I really like the song. You're quite talented at 2600 audio. To quote Random Terrain, "I like to go fast". I think the speed increase is great for the beginning, but I'd ramp it up quickly. I admit this is a personal preference and not everyone would agree, but I like games that ramp up in difficulty quickly and can be played in a few minutes. No big deal if you disagree, it is your game. :)

Edit: Forgot to comment on the name. IMO "Across" is a bit generic. I like the manhole name. Hmmm. Manhole Mania? Manhole down?

Much better, and I really like the song. You're quite talented at 2600 audio.

Thanks. I use this page as a guide for translating a song I composed to the 2600. Depending on the notes available, I have to change the song to a different key.

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-music-and-sound.html

I have to say I'm retarded enough that I need a visual cue to indicate which floor panel my joystick is currently at.

Also, why not go full old school LCD look?

attachicon.giflcdlook.png

attachicon.giflcdlook.bin

Ha, you're not retarded loon but that is a good idea. Similar to a shoot'em'up where you will shoot in the last direction you moved, having a manhole appear in the last direction you moved the stick, along with a visual clue to what the current direction is would be a major improvement.

• Like 1

Love it! Just the right amount of challenge to keep it interesting. I of course prefer quick games so it may not suit everyone. After playing for a while I haven't been able to do better than 10 yet. Still playing, will post again if I get a much higher score.

Hmmm... Maybe be able to (slightly) change the speed of the guy by moving the joystick left/right? Just a thought. 11 is my best so far. I think playing in emulation may be making it more difficult, there's been several times where I swear I hit the arrow buttons in time but I didn't get the manhole cover moved in time.