IGNORED

AtariAge improvements

Asmusr

AtariAge is great compared to the Yahoo forum, but there's still plenty of room for improvement, Should we attempt to compile a combined list of change requests?

Here are some of my suggestions:

• Allow .dsk and other attachment types that we like to use
  • Fix the bug that multiple URLs on a line corrupts your post
  • Facilitate how code and other pre-formatted content can be added to posts
  • Allow tables in posts
  • Improve the search system. I don't know exactly how, but it's so hard to find any relevant information about a subject. Perhaps adopt the Google search engine?

Please suggest other improvements in a positive and constructive manner. I will send the combined list to AtariAge.

Thanks,

Rasmus

• Like 3

Here are some of my suggestions:

• Allow .dsk and other attachment types that we like to use

What other attachments besides .dsk would you like to see?

• Fix the bug that multiple URLs on a line corrupts your post

I have to install an update to the forum software, it's possible this bug was fixed (I'll have to look at the change list).

• Facilitate how code and other pre-formatted content can be added to posts

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

• Allow tables in posts

This would be nice, I agree. I'm not sure if this will be a feature included in the next major version of the software, 4.0.

• Improve the search system. I don't know exactly how, but it's so hard to find any relevant information about a subject. Perhaps adopt the Google search engine?

I think the search system works pretty well. It's already using a third-party search engine to do the searches. Can you give me some examples of searches that work poorly for you?

Thanks,

..Al

• Like 2

Wow, that was fast. :)

- Facilitate how code and other pre-formatted content can be added to posts: I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but AFAIK you have to add undocumented \[code\] tags around you code to post anything pre-formatted.

- Search system

If a few sentences of the first hit was displayed it might help a lot.

This is also our own fault because people in the TI-99/4A forum prefer posting under existing topics rather than creating their own.

• Like 2

- Facilitate how code and other pre-formatted content can be added to posts: I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but AFAIK you have to add undocumented \[code\] tags around you code to post anything pre-formatted.

The code tag is the normal way of displaying pre-formatted text. It's not undocumented, though, and there's even a button in the editor for it:

code_button.jpg

- Search system

If a few sentences of the first hit was displayed it might help a lot.

This is also our own fault because people in the TI-99/4A forum prefer posting under existing topics rather than creating their own.

If you click on the Advanced Search button to the right of the search field, you'll see considerably more options for performing a search. If you want to display the results as posts (which will highlight the search term(s) in the posts), click on the "Display Results: As Posts" button:

search_form.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 4.15.01 PM.png

..Al

• Like 1

I've found that the 'Paste from Word' button works quite well in preserving code. It doesn't add the crazy colors and keeps tab,word wrap, and font info intact.

Gazoo

.RPK would be a good extension to accept. It is the room cartridge format for MESS.

If these particular extensions can be restricted to the 4A forum rather than across all forums then that's probably even better from a security point of view.

.RPK files are actually one or more .BIN files with some meta data in an XML file. These files are then zipped and the zip extension renamed to RPK.

Mark

Some sub-forums maybe?

We seem to discuss everything TI99 here besides just 'programming', maybe split it up into sub-forums, would generate more ti99 topics, and also easier to search and see good topics.

I also think topics like Classic99 and RXB and F18A should be stickies so newcomers will see them, instead of buried down a few pages until there is a new reply.

Just an idea.

Edited by Gary from OPA
  • Like 3

Some sub-forums maybe?

We seem to discuss everything TI99 here besides just 'programming', maybe split it up into sub-forums, would generate more ti99 topics, and also easier to search and see good topics.

I also think topics like Classic99 and RXB and F18A should be stickies so newcomers will see them, instead of buried down a few pages until there is a new reply.

Just an idea.

I'm open to adding sub-forums if there is a need for them.

..Al

I'm open to adding sub-forums if there is a need for them.

..Al

Thanks for the assistance.

I personally use AtariAge forums more as I have multiple OS on my computer.

I do not use Word so the CODE option often reformats my original code from notepad to something else.

It might help to add a option for the CODE option to leave everything as is, instead of re formatting it on the fly.

I have had this often happen to me when pasting in code and it reformats after I press POST

Some sub-forums maybe?

IMO I don't think our sub-forum generates enough posts to justify splitting it up. That can sometimes have the opposite affect. The TI community has a hard time staying on topic as it is. However, "99/4A Game Programming" is not a good name or A.A. subcategory for us any more. Actually now that I look, most of the top-level A.A. categories have "gaming" in them, except for the "Atari Systems" and the "Classic Computer" section.

• Like 2

IMO I don't think our sub-forum generates enough posts to justify splitting it up. That can sometimes have the opposite affect. The TI community has a hard time staying on topic as it is. However, "99/4A Game Programming" is not a good name or A.A. subcategory for us any more. Actually now that I look, most of the top-level A.A. categories have "gaming" in them, except for the "Atari Systems" and the "Classic Computer" section.

I agree, the "Game Programming" topic group should just be "Programming". And there is a sub-group called "Programming", which is where this forum currently resides. I need to reorganize these forums--they have grown considerably beyond what was initially envisioned. :D In fact, I may make a pass at reorganizing all the forums soon.

..Al

I would like to see the mobile theme improved. There doesn't seem to be a way to jump to a specific page within a topic or to jump to the last post. I also find that I randomly get kicked back into the mobile theme when I have the AtariAge theme selected. I'm using Chrome on my mobile phone.

I would like to see the mobile theme improved. There doesn't seem to be a way to jump to a specific page within a topic or to jump to the last post. I also find that I randomly get kicked back into the mobile theme when I have the AtariAge theme selected. I'm using Chrome on my mobile phone.

http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-9680-40-front-end-responsiveness-round-up/

I miss the pop-up rank information over the pips and the Atari-style character icons signifying thread disposition.

More universal in the forum as far as file types are concerned, I would like to be able to upload things like AAC, MP4, and M4A. I understand where the problem comes into play with these being abused (copyright music, video, etc.) so I am not pushing. (There was another format I tried to upload one time that I cannot recall.) If the forum software supports it, maybe a Flash or Java player for audio and video files (embedding MP4 or 3GP video, or audio file like MP3, AAC, M4A, WAV, etc.)

More universal in the forum as far as file types are concerned, I would like to be able to upload things like AAC, MP4, and M4A. I understand where the problem comes into play with these being abused (copyright music, video, etc.) so I am not pushing. (There was another format I tried to upload one time that I cannot recall.) If the forum software supports it, maybe a Flash or Java player for audio and video files (embedding MP4 or 3GP video, or audio file like MP3, AAC, M4A, WAV, etc.)

Isn't YouTube excellent for uploading video and embedding. Just paste the URL while editing your post, and you get a player automatically ? Formats supported should be MOV, MPEG4, MP4, AVI, WMV, MPEGPS, FLV, 3GPP and WebM. There's also a bunch of free tools out there for changing format and/or constructing new videos based on pictures, text, mp3 and more. Also I think YouTube is better exposed. I've had people outside of the community comment on videos, show interest and tell their sweet TI stories.

:)

Edited by sometimes99er

Isn't YouTube excellent for uploading video and embedding. Just paste the URL while editing your post, and you get a player automatically ? Formats supported should be MOV, MPEG4, MP4, AVI, WMV, MPEGPS, FLV, 3GPP and WebM. There's also a bunch of free tools out there for changing format and/or constructing new videos based on pictures, text, mp3 and more. Also I think YouTube is better exposed. I've had people outside of the community comment on videos, show interest and tell their sweet TI stories.

:)

For those who use YouTube, yes. And I use a number of command line tools to convert formats a lot, but some formats are better than other for various reasons. For instance, I prefer M4A over MP3 because the quality can be much better given the same space. AAC is much the same (though really you are just putting AAC in an MP4 container, but I digress.) MP4 means I can upload right from my phone, and others the same with 3GP, etc.

It is a combination of preference and convenience. It is far more convenient for me to just upload my MP4 video from my phone to AA, and I prefer not to have a YouTube account or just hand my intellectual property over to YouTube.

That said, I certainly do not impose my practice onto others, including services I use. If the service (to wit, Atari Age) wants to offer that service, then that is fantastic. If not, then that is just how it is. Though I might go lobby congress to force forums to provide these services as it is my right and within my full entitlement to demand whatever services I want from whatever provider.

But I digress.