IGNORED

TI PEB Extender Board

Ksarul

Unless it is the angle of the camera or some other effect, it appears the contact fingers (or spaces between them) on the TI card are slightly wider. As you go right to left, the metal 'fingers' look to be centered between the other card's 'fingers'. I would be cautious of mating the prototype card with the extender until you confirm there is no overlap in the power distribution contacts.

I noticed a similar offset to a smaller degree in your first picture, where the TI card is just slightly out of alignment with the connector, though not likely to impact its use. I do not have one of Jim's cards so I'm just sharing initial observations. ( I'll take a look at my TI extender card just for giggles this week.)

You have to look at the center of the photos to get a real idea of alignment. The pictures were taken in macro close-up, so as you go left or right off center the view will be askew. From my vantage, each of the traces and fingers match up fine, just the width of the card's connector is a little off.

I don't understand your concern. Card works just fine. I have tested it with a fdc and Sid master. Are you concerned with the top of the card or he bottom?

Neither. The problem is the my prototype card does not fit into the expander connector socket as it is just a little bit too wide. The TI card, on the other hand, is perfect.

I think the issue may be a tolerance thing with the cut of the Protoboard, as it looks to be just a hair wider than a TI card. The for or five of them I inserted into the PEB Extender card connector on the board I assembled for my use all line up with the fingers in the connector perfectly--but they are a bit tight on insertion, I used the same board outline that I used for the SID Master here, so there should be no difference in fit when you insert one of those or one of the protoboards into the top socket, Marc.

I'll be sending one to the Insanemultitasker in any event--that was part of my initial production plan as he provided a lot of input into the final design. . .I just need a good shipping address. . .in a PM please. :)

That makes sense. I have noticed that most later third party cards are tight (Sid, ide, USB etc.) I attributed it to the square edges. File s little bevel on the corners and the are easierto insert

• 2 months later...

I got the Extender boards in this morning and they look nice. For anyone wishing to purchase one, they are $30 each, shipped to a US address. The connector is included, although you will have to do some forming (and just a touch of trimming) on the connector's pins to get them to lay nicely on the board to be soldered into place. I can do that and attach the connector for an additional $10 per board. Here is a picture of one with the connector sitting where it belongs.

I'll take one for my TI repair sys and one for my Geneve/MYARC repair sys in "plug and play" status please.

Message sent to let you know specifics, Swim.

I have nine of these left, for anyone else still interested in acquiring one. I don't plan on doing another run of them, as the market for this type of TI repair tool is too small to justify doing it. It was almost too small to justify the original run. . .but enough people wanted one that it was worth doing as a community support item.

• 8 months later...

With all of the recent hardware troubleshooting going on, I may have to do another run of 10 or so of these, as it looks like there are enough folks out there that weren't here when I did the first run to make them useful (the first run sold out, with the exception of the two I kept for my own use and the bare board for my reference set).

Anyone who has one of the cards from the first run with any potential suggestions for improvements, let me know in the next couple of weeks, please.

Anyone with interest in an extender board that would raise the card under test above the rest of the PEB to make it easier to troubleshoot, let me know too, as the level of interest will determine whether or not it makes sense to invest in more of these.

I have used mine to repair all 4 of my failed boards....

This extender has become invaluable to me and I would

suggest anyone who has interest to get one. The numbered

pads towards the center make it very easy to test circuits.

Thank you Ksarul for providing these !!!!! :thumbsup:

Edit: I really can't think of any improvements needed.

Edited by Fritz442

• 5 years later...

I'm waiting on a lot of the boards to come in, so I should have some on-hand within the next month or so. I think I still have a dozen or so of the necessary connectors. The GERBERS aren't online, as I try to keep the boards I design permanently available to the community at reasonable prices (and based on buying in reasonable bulk lots to keep that price-per-board low). The connectors for this one weren't cheap either--and are relatively difficult to source. I "think" Sullins may still make them. . .but that's about it.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
49 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

I began soldering a bunch of the PEB Extender boards together today. Price for boards from this group will be $41 for an assembled board, shipped to a US address to cover Postal Service price increases.

I will want one.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

I began soldering a bunch of the PEB Extender boards together today. Price for boards from this group will be $41 for an assembled board, shipped to a US address to cover Postal Service price increases.

Will you include warning stickers? ;)    

The extender boards make testing so much easier.  It is of course important not to "rock" the card while power is ON and as silly as this may sound, one must pay attention so as to not insert the card "backwards" into the extender. 

thank you for making them available.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Will you include warning stickers? ;)    

The extender boards make testing so much easier.  It is of course important not to "rock" the card while power is ON and as silly as this may sound, one must pay attention so as to not insert the card "backwards" into the extender. 

thank you for making them available.

I second that!  It pays for itself quickly in convenience and time saved troubleshooting cards.  Jim, thanks for designing and producing them.  It may be one of the most under rated cards we have at our disposal! ?

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 4:33 PM, Ksarul said:

Do you have boards ready yet?

• 8 months later...
On 2/8/2021 at 6:53 PM, Ksarul said:

I sell them directly to folks once I have them ready. I just maintin a list of those looking for them and let them know when I have some ready.

Gruß,

Jim

Hi Jim,

If you are still maintaining a list I would like to purchase 1 extender, maybe two depending on the price. If you can add me to the list if you are still maintaining one.

Thank you!

Mark

44 minutes ago, mvancopp said:

Hi Jim,

If you are still maintaining a list I would like to purchase 1 extender, maybe two depending on the price. If you can add me to the list if you are still maintaining one.

Thank you!

Mark

I have a good stock of bare boards and connectors on hand. I'll try to get time to solder a few together this weekend. As noted above, they are $41 each when shipped to a US address (shipping included).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1