IGNORED

Atari 540?... Is this right?

Sorry to be a NOOB, but I might be buying this from someone... He has it listed as a "540",but I can't seem to find anything about it. I did a search for Atari 540 and the closest thing that came up was Atari 520. Anyone know what this is?

Thanks

post-35857-0-53760400-1402344575_thumb.jpgpost-35857-0-25763800-1402344576_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Did some further research and it looks like it might be a 1040 ST. :)

Edited by 7800

Ok... Just got off the phone with the guy. He says it's a 520 ST. However, it's probably a 520 STFM like Marc said right? Anything I should watch out for with this model? Any issues?

Looks good. One of the later stylish SC1224s.

Au contrere mon frere. The FIRST version of the SC1224 was the most stylish (IMO) - with the sweeping-back top, glossy glass, and unquestionable JVC-Made-In-Japan Quality as a bonus. The others were just generic-looking boxes.

post-16281-0-33011700-1402363431_thumb.jpg

post-16281-0-78064700-1402363442_thumb.jpg

Not even AMIGA DISPLAYS can detract from its beauty!

post-16281-0-69139700-1402363452_thumb.jpg

I won't argue about the JVC's looks. But I have to say I really like your version of the SC1224. I had the Goldstar version which was the most common but definitely not as stylish as the one that predated it or the one thereafter. There were a lot of Jaguar owners that were going for your version of the SC1224 [and whatever the 14" was…] once the Catbox and other RGB cable options came out for that console.

Guys, If I get this computer... is there a way for me to play a bunch of game roms on it?

EDIT: Did some searching... found the Ultra Satan SD card reader. What can anyone tell me about the "Ultra Satan"? :)

Edited by 7800

....... What can anyone tell me about the "Ultra Satan"? :)

It's expensive. :)

Still, it is the best way to use a ST... Your 1040 may have TOS1.0 so you would have to open her up and replace that with Rainbow TOS 1.4 (04 .. something like that).

You would have to open and look as it probably needs the 6 chip TOS set, but it may have a two chip..

Reason for the upgrade is TOS 1.0 not playing nice with HDD devices, like SatanDisk/UltraSatan

Links above by Thibr is where to look to purchase an UltraSatan

Edited by Official Ninja
  • Like 1

Au contrere mon frere. The FIRST version of the SC1224 was the most stylish (IMO) - with the sweeping-back top, glossy glass, and unquestionable JVC-Made-In-Japan Quality as a bonus. The others were just generic-looking boxes.

attachicon.gifsc1224mon.jpg

attachicon.gifsc1224.jpg

Not even AMIGA DISPLAYS can detract from its beauty!

attachicon.gifsc1224_2.jpg

Do you have an adapter cable for the Amiga to work with the SC1224?

It's expensive. :)

Still, it is the best way to use a ST... Your 1040 may have TOS1.0 so you would have to open her up and replace that with Rainbow TOS 1.4 (04 .. something like that).

You would have to open and look as it probably needs the 6 chip TOS set, but it may have a two chip..

Reason for the upgrade is TOS 1.0 not playing nice with HDD devices, like SatanDisk/UltraSatan

Links above by Thibr is where to look to purchase an UltraSatan

Thanks for the info, but the one that I might be buying tomorrow is a 520 ST... not sure if its a STFM yet but at any rate, will the UltraSatan work ok with the 520 ST or STFM? Is it supposed to be an alternative to the floppy drive?

UltraSatan is a mass storage device hooked up to your ST through the ACSI (DB19) port of your computer.

Well, maybe US is runnable with only 512 kb of memory but 1Mb is highly recommended.

AS mentioned above by Official Ninja you nedd at least TOS 1.(0)2 to make it work properly.

If you need a software to learn more about your system features try SYSINFO :

https://sites.google.com/site/stessential/home/all-software/SYSINFO.PRG?attredirects=0

Hope this gonna help you.

Thanks for the info, but the one that I might be buying tomorrow is a 520 ST... not sure if its a STFM yet but at any rate, will the UltraSatan work ok with the 520 ST or STFM? Is it supposed to be an alternative to the floppy drive?

With 512k, or even 1mb memory you are probably better just using the floppy drive that is built in.

Best bet would be to have a widows XP computer or laptop with a floppy drive.

Then you can use floimg to write floppies. All the game images can be found at climatics

http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php

http://www.climatics.com/wiki/

So I picked up the 520 STFM today. The monitor is in good shape but the adjustment knobs on the bottom for volume, brightness, etc. are seized. :( The CPU powers up to what appears to be some kind of desktop without a boot disk. The disk drive is totally shot so, I will definitely need an alternative... probably the UltraSatan. Most of the keys on the keyboard are yellowed, which kinda sucks but whatever.

EDIT: I was just reading up on the UltraSatan... and I'm afraid that thing and all it entails is way over my head. I'm just too stupid to figure all that stuff out. I see Best Electronics sells replacement floppy drives. Anyone ever get one of these?

Edited by 7800

You're better off getting an HxC floppy drive emulator (http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/), you can buy them on eBay or through their store. If you get the slim version of the HxC and are happy to make your own mount for it then it's small enough for you to be able to take the floppy drive out of the ST and put the HxC in its place. Then you can load up an SD card with games and play them that way.

Here's a photo of mine:

10256697_10152391707519214_7907916650753

Edited by Junosix
  • Like 1

You're better off getting an HxC floppy drive emulator (http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/), you can buy them on eBay or through their store. If you get the slim version of the HxC and are happy to make your own mount for it then it's small enough for you to be able to take the floppy drive out of the ST and put the HxC in its place. Then you can load up an SD card with games and play them that way.

Nice, this is pretty much what I want... Isn't this what the Ultra Satan is too. This seems a bit less complicated though. Currently trying to find out if they are all the same, or if they are application specific.

Edited by 7800

Nice, this is pretty much what I want... Isn't this what the Ultra Satan is too. This seems a bit less complicated though. Currently trying to find out if they are all the same, or if they are application specific.

Nope. UltraSatan is a hard disk type device. The Floppy emulator simply emulates a floppy drive, using image files. You would need a working floppy device to setup an UltraSatan anyway.

With the amount of memory in a stock 520 or even 1040 an UltraSatan is not a great choice. It needs a driver that loads into memory for TOS to use it. Plus most hdd patched games need more memory anyway, 2 meg or more... maybe not most, but enough of them..

If you have a XP computer with floppy drive (not USB drive) you can put a replacement floppy in, and make game disk images easily with the links I posted above.

I've never used the floppy drive emulator but I know people who have really like it.

Cool! Thanks! I am leaning towards the floppy emulator... I'm all about an SD card full of game roms like the Everdrives :) ... Is the floppy emulator plug and play... or does it get complicated?

You can fix the yellows keys (and case) by mixing a few nasty chemicals together to make a mixture called retr0bright- lots of info if you google it.

I've got an HxC floppy emulator in the post, and am making up an external floppy cable for it, to allow it to connect to my STM (no internal drive), and allow it to be used with other machines too. It's not too hard to do, bit I'd be happy to make up a second cable if you need one. I couldn't find anywhere to buy these.

Having the HxC internal is a neater, cleaner solution though. I'd really like an internal HxC inside the cute little STM case, maybe I'll try that when I get my 4MB soldered SIMM upgrade done to that machine ;) might not be any room left for shielding...

Edited by galax

I have a ton of Atari ST IPF files... just read that the HxC floppy emulator doesn't fully support IPF files. :( the alternative is the USB floppy emulator used in conjunction with a PC. I really don't want that. Can IPF files be converted to ST, MSA, ADF, ADZ, DMZ, or CPC DSK files?

I have a ton of Atari ST IPF files... just read that the HxC floppy emulator doesn't fully support IPF files. :( the alternative is the USB floppy emulator used in conjunction with a PC. I really don't want that. Can IPF files be converted to ST, MSA, ADF, ADZ, DMZ, or CPC DSK files?

Check out this site. Most is in MSA or ST format.

http://www.climatics.com/wiki/