New homebrew game 4XV by COLLECTORVISION

collectorvision homebrew 4xv

63 replies to this topic

#26 catsfolly OFFLINE  

catsfolly

Dragonstomper

• 705 posts

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:54 AM

Winter of 2015 is only 6 months away. I wouldn't be surprised if this game beats some of the "coming soon" games to market.

This type of game, based on classics like "Gravitar" and "Thrust", tends to have simple graphics (Gravitar was originally a vector based game) and highly demanding gameplay. Some players find them "just too difficult", while others like the challenge and enjoy learning the fine points of controlling the space ship while battling gravity, aliens, and the ship's own momentum.

Looks promising...

#27 1980gamer OFFLINE  

1980gamer

Dragonstomper

• 761 posts

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:20 AM

Loved Gravitar!   This looks great!   Maybe a MARS LANDER mode could be added easy enough?   Lunar Lander is taken.....

#28 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,962 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:25 AM

One of the things I loved about the Thrust port for the Atari 2600 (Thrust++) was the support for various control options (foot pedal plus paddles for great two player control for what is otherwise a pure single player game). While I realize this is targeted to the Intellivision - and that's great - I'd also love to see a future ColecoVision version that supports the various add-ons like the roller controller and Super Action Controllers. At the very least, for the Intellivision version, I'd love a control option where one person controls the ship with one controller, while the other person controls the shooting and/or thrust. Again, just as an option, but to me, Thrust games are at their best when you're trying to work with the game's physics.

#29 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 9,969 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:27 AM

Winter of 2015 is only 6 months away. I wouldn't be surprised if this game beats some of the "coming soon" games to market.

This type of game, based on classics like "Gravitar" and "Thrust", tends to have simple graphics (Gravitar was originally a vector based game) and highly demanding gameplay. Some players find them "just too difficult", while others like the challenge and enjoy learning the fine points of controlling the space ship while battling gravity, aliens, and the ship's own momentum.

Looks promising...

I took "Winter 2015" to mean 4th quarter of next year. My apologies if this is not the case.

In that case, if the game is feature-complete as shown, it does look like a very simple game. That is not necessarily a problem, though.

dZ.

#30 catsfolly OFFLINE  

catsfolly

Dragonstomper

• 705 posts

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:33 AM

Loved Gravitar!   This looks great!   Maybe a MARS LANDER mode could be added easy enough?   Lunar Lander is taken.....

Mars Mini Games - Descent sounds like just the game you are looking for...

http://atariage.com/...ars-mini-games/

#31 intvsteve ONLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 2,789 posts

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:44 AM

The graphics look to be 'vector-like' for the world, and just judging from the gifeo, the challenge appears to be ship control more than everything else. I never played Thrust or Gravitar, but from what's been said here, gravity is your primary 'enemy'. I guess as you advance there may be mobile opponents as well - they'll need good pathing code in addition to more traditional 'bad guy' AI.

There is a class of games that originally were vector-based in the arcades that really had their own sparse beauty, and that immediately came to mind with the screenshot here. With the resolution on the Intellivision, line art is always a challenge, so having a large scrolling world plays to the strength of the 2D scrolling capabilities and gives the world a little breathing room. It certainly looks intriguing.

#32 catsfolly OFFLINE  

catsfolly

Dragonstomper

• 705 posts

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:59 AM

I took "Winter 2015" to mean 4th quarter of next year. My apologies if this is not the case.

In that case, if the game is feature-complete as shown, it does look like a very simple game. That is not necessarily a problem, though.

dZ.

"Grab presents and avoid the Snowman" sounds simple too, until you actually try to DO it...

The look is simple, but the challenge of maneuvering a spaceship with gravity and momentum and limited fuel is what makes the game difficult. These types of games are very tough.

On the other hand, imagine if, while trying to fly the spaceship, you were also trying to play a game of, say, ... tennis? THAT would be a game!

Catsfolly

#33 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 9,969 posts
  • Triple-Stripe Mo' Bro

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:08 AM

On the other hand, imagine if, while trying to fly the spaceship, you were also trying to play a game of, say, ... tennis? THAT would be a game!

Catsfolly

Nobody would be crazy enough to make that game! :lol:

#34 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• Topic Starter
  • 15,512 posts

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:11 PM

Some games on modern systems are announced years in advance. Nothing wrong with announcing this game that mat not come bout until next year.

#35 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 3,339 posts

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:22 PM

Cool, something to keep an eye on. 

#36 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• Topic Starter
  • 15,512 posts

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:20 PM

Maybe by announcing so far in advance, the programmer can take into account some observations and pointers as it progresses. Feedback it always good.

#37 atari5200dude82 OFFLINE  

atari5200dude82

Stargunner

• 1,289 posts

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:55 PM

Looks very cool and promising      :-D    :arrow:     :grin:   :thumbsup:  :)

#38 slab0meat OFFLINE  

slab0meat

Stargunner

• 1,457 posts

Posted Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:41 AM

Good news.

:)

• Rev likes this

#39 HunterZero OFFLINE  

HunterZero

Dragonstomper

• 652 posts

Posted Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:26 PM

Wow always wondered how a Thrust type physics game would work on Inty. Sign me up!

#40 Oscar G. OFFLINE  

Oscar G.

Stargunner

• 1,331 posts
  • Intellinaut

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:09 AM

Wow always wondered how a Thrust type physics game would work on Inty. Sign me up!

I wonder if Space Hawk is this type of game...

#41 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 3,097 posts

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:37 AM

I wonder if Space Hawk is this type of game...

I would guess so.  Similarly, Meteor might be this type of game as well, though it has been a long while since I played it.

#42 Intymike OFFLINE  

Intymike

River Patroller

• 2,586 posts

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:27 AM

Why not? Does the Inty not know all the rules of physics?  ;)

Edited by Intymike, Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:29 AM.

#43 jeffgamer OFFLINE  

jeffgamer

Chopper Commander

• 216 posts

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:34 PM

When the game is ready for sale, I'm in!

#44 Nibunnoichi OFFLINE  

Nibunnoichi

Star Raider

• 54 posts

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:49 PM

Cool, i like space mazes and gravity! :)

#45 Manoau2002 OFFLINE  

Manoau2002

Stargunner

• 1,072 posts

Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:00 AM

I normally only buy Colecovision homebrews but I might have to invest in a copy when this comes out.

#46 BBWW OFFLINE  

BBWW

River Patroller

• 2,943 posts
  • If it is not fun move away slowly.

Posted Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:21 PM

In any case. Cool, more games.

#47 AJChandler OFFLINE  

AJChandler

Star Raider

• 84 posts

Posted Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:48 PM

Just in case I miss the preorder sign me up for one.

#48 JeFfR3y OFFLINE  

JeFfR3y

Combat Commando

• 9 posts

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:31 PM

I'm interesting, sign me up if news come for ordering

#49 Chad OFFLINE  

Chad

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:40 PM

I'll be watching out for this one, even though my gaming budget is pretty minimal these days.  I love thrust type games.  In my eyes this looks kick ass!!

Edited by Chad, Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:43 PM.

#50 ianoid OFFLINE  

ianoid

River Patroller

• 2,845 posts

Posted Wed Aug 6, 2014 4:53 AM

Want

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: collectorvision, homebrew, 4xv

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users