Photo

Why do 16-bit light guns look so ridiculous?

super scope menacer zapper phaser light gun 8-bit 16-bit sega nintendo atari

9 replies to this topic

#1 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Cyborg Bounty Hunter

• 18,471 posts
  • Alita Jean

Posted Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:19 PM

SNES Super Scope:

Nintendo_scope.jpg

Sega Menacer:

800px-Sega_Menacer_cropped.jpg

Compared to these 8-bit offerings:

Famicom Revolver:

video_shooting_series_light_gun4.jpg

NES Gray Zapper:

1024px-NES-zapper.jpg

NES Orange Zapper:

800px-Wikipedia_Nes_Zapper.jpg

SMS Light Phaser:

1024px-SMS-Light-Phaser.jpg

Atari XG-1:

640px-Atari_XG-1_light_gun.jpg

I mean, I can understand that in the 90s, video game and toy makers were pressured to make guns look unrealistic as possible, but come on, the Super Scope and Menacer just look absolutely ridiculous. Even later gen systems like the PS1 Namco Guncon look normal in comparison. What's worse, with all the modular detachable pieces that can get lost over the years, it's nearly impossible to find one complete. :sad:

Edited by stardust4ever, Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:32 PM.

#2 Metal Jesus OFFLINE  

Metal Jesus

Stargunner

• 1,272 posts

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:10 PM

I kind of agree with you here. It's like they were pulled off the set of a cheesy Roger Corman movie from the 70s starring David Hasselhoff with a funky Italian soundtrack!

#3 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,989 posts

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:57 PM

if in the early 90's everything was bigger, badder, and had more attitude with a fresh hip young face, why would you want something that looks directly out of a 1970's low budget sci-fi film?

you didnt want a zapper or a phazor, no, thats baby crap, you want a GOD D*MED BAZOOKA! Its just a mentality of the time and the audience

the real shame is there were hardly any games made for them, they are actually pretty decent light guns, and aside from the useless tubes for "sights" on the Menacer, I find it to be a cool design as it can switch from pistol to rifle

Edited by Osgeld, Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:58 PM.

#4 FujiSkunk OFFLINE  

FujiSkunk

Quadrunner

• 7,616 posts
  • Behold the Fuji!

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:03 PM

To be fair, you also had these 16-bit offerings:

justifiers.jpg

(Image shamelessly stolen from AtariAger the.golden.ax.)

I agree with Osgeld, though.  Everything wanted to look "grown-up" in the 16-bit era, or at least more hip than those "toys" from the 8-bit era.

#5 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,658 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:17 PM

attachicon.gifjustifiers.jpg

Also, the Menacer was modular and could be stripped down to this vaguely pistol-like device:

menacer_assembled.jpg

#6 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Cyborg Bounty Hunter

• Topic Starter
  • 18,471 posts
  • Alita Jean

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:10 PM

attachicon.gifjustifiers.jpg

(Image shamelessly stolen from AtariAger the.golden.ax.)

I agree with Osgeld, though.  Everything wanted to look "grown-up" in the 16-bit era, or at least more hip than those "toys" from the 8-bit era.

Are those compatible with the SMS Phasor? What games are those in the somewhat low-res photo? I picked up a Menacer 6-in-1 cart a couple weeks ago not realizing it was a light gun game. Probably Sega's answer to the SNES Super Scope 6.

I got my SNES Super Scope CIB last year. Freakking had the paperwork and everything but was missing the rubber eyepiece so I made a makeshift eyepiece out of a plastic soda bottle cap with a hole bored through it. It plays quite nicely despite I was a bit peeved that the eyepiece was missing. At least the sights work on it. So far I have the Super Scope 6, Battle Clash, and Yoshi's Safari. Yoshi's Safari seems to be the only one of the three with redeeming play value. I beat the game on easy mode then got my ass handed to me when I unlocked hard. where's the medium setting? :P I just noticed Revolution X supports the Scope; I may have to rebuy that title. I had it at one time (came bundled with the Goodwill SNES I bought in 2004 along with SMW+SMAS and two other crap games) but the Dpad controls sucked donkey so I eventually sold it. In other news, I just picked up Operation Wolf for the NES earlier tonight. People say it sucks but that's probably because most like other dual control games, playing with the Dpad sighting is a huge handicap.

Edited by stardust4ever, Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:15 PM.

#7 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Cyborg Bounty Hunter

• Topic Starter
  • 18,471 posts
  • Alita Jean

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:18 PM

Also, the Menacer was modular and could be stripped down to this vaguely pistol-like device:

menacer_assembled.jpg

Yes, but is it actually possible to aim the thing in this configuration? A naked Super Scope will shoot all over the screen without a sight to guide it.

#8 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,989 posts

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:21 PM

yes its fairly point n click, even has sights where the goofy do nothing goggles attach, though I always found it easier with the rifle stock and no goggles

Edited by Osgeld, Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:21 PM.

#9 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 22,195 posts

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:04 PM

Because in the 8-bit era you had to be smart to get into the field. You had to have some talent, somewhere. And be reasonable. By the time the 16-bit 90's rolled around, any Tom, Dick, or Harry could get a job in tech. And then you had the influence of flamboyant VR headgear come into play.

#10 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Cyborg Bounty Hunter

• Topic Starter
  • 18,471 posts
  • Alita Jean

Posted Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:53 PM

And then you had the influence of flamboyant VR headgear come into play.

Just like the Virtual Boy, and Oculus Rift Virtual Boy Too! :rolling:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: super scope, menacer, zapper, phaser, light gun, 8-bit, 16-bit, sega, nintendo, atari

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users