IGNORED

The GUMBY chips: have they been found yet?

Prosystemsearch

Doesn't matter if they are, because the schematics were obtained by the community years ago. Wouldn't make much sense either these days, as more robust solutions have been developed (CPU WIZ). Moreover, it's far easier/cheaper for homebrewers to just take Pokey chips off old carts.

Edited by Greg2600

Doesn't matter if they are, because the schematics were obtained by the community years ago. Wouldn't make much sense either these days, as more robust solutions have been developed (CPU WIZ). Moreover, it's far easier/cheaper for homebrewers to just take Pokey chips off old carts.

The schematics? What are the GUMBY's specs?

Oops, I confused it with the SuperCart.

attachicon.gif7800_1mbit_DEV.PNG

There was a discussion here about Gumby "what-if" specs.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/196351-quick-question-about-7800-sound-chip/?do=findComment&comment=2879552

As I said though, pulling POKEY's or moving on to a super-cart like CPUWIZ's is fine these days.

That's not definitive. Plus, if the Gumby was equal to 2 POKEYs, Atari could've simply made more DUAL POKEY, DUAL PORKEYs [stereo POKEY in a single chip], or QUAD POKEYs. All three of those were used by Atari Coin/Games.

Do schematics or specs even exist of the GCC Gumby?

Even if they do, it'd be a case of AMY all over again. Little point recreating it because there's practically no software or use of the chip ever and there can be much better alternatives.

Well, I understand the point of the question. If some can be found, then they can be reproduced. That would be better than schematics because it would be proof-of-concept. Go to Kickstarter thereafter and raise money for a production run. The same goes for AMY. Or, falling short of that, FPGAs could be done to emulate them.

Sure, there are modern chips that are obviously better but they wouldn't be authentic nor would they show us what we could've had had the cards been dealt differently back in 1984+. I'd love to see the AMY completed. It would make news amongst retro chip tunes enthusiasts plus the home brew community here would probably try to add it to so many different Atari products - because Atari Inc/Corp would've done that - A8 computers, the XEGS, 7800 cartridges, and the ST.

Hell, after the release of the Commodore 64, Atari Inc. should've pumped out Quad POKEYs and added them to the XL computer line…

• Like 4

Schematics is a pretty broad description. I've seen plenty of Atari schematics before that in reality are little more than block diagrams and provide nowhere near the needed info for reverse-engineering.

Really, a better alternative would probably be to develop some sort of cheap synth that resides on a PIC or AVR and can fit inside a cart.

• Like 1

He he. Was that sarcasm? I thought they had to turn those back over to NAMCO?

From what I was informed of from an ex-Namco employee - who is also a member of this site - this weekend, GCC owns the intellectual property to anything that was introduced in the Ms Pac-Man game such as the bouncing fruit mechanics. So if that's used in any Pac-Man game or Ms Pac-Man is included in a compilation, GCC gets paid. They certainly aren't keeping their lights on from their laser printer business or their website that hasn't been updated since 2004. Maybe their business model consists of maintaining a website almost as bad as Best Electronics!

Well, from Japan's point of view, the only other 'classic' style PacMan games after Ms Pacman were Super PacMan, Pac and Pal, and Pacmania... so not a lot to go from. The US got Baby PacMan and Jr PacMan - the latter DID use the bouncing fruit... but neither of those games are recognized by Namco.

Well, from Japan's point of view, the only other 'classic' style PacMan games after Ms Pacman were Super PacMan, Pac and Pal, and Pacmania... so not a lot to go from. The US got Baby PacMan and Jr PacMan - the latter DID use the bouncing fruit... but neither of those games are recognized by Namco.

I remember a pirated version in the arcade called "Pop-Man" which was a crude Popeye as Pac-Man.