IGNORED

Pole Position II

simbalion

Last Friday I bought a Pole Position II upright for $50 that was for sale a short distance from me. Cabinet is doable and it appears to be complete, but it definitely has issues. Found out the power supply is fried, so am checking a shop I know to see what parts they have. I also have six green wires with eyelets on them going to nothing inside the cabinet. Board has a bit of a fried edge connector and it looks like someone bypassed the +5 to a connector tab on the main board itself. I am hoping to get it going. I did see glow on the CRT tube neck and could hear the high voltage working on the monitor.

Found a replacement power supply/block for $40. Only thing different is that it seemed to lack the extra AC plug the old supply had, but that turned out to be an add-on that was also partially cooked on the old supply. Basically, someone had added a fan and sloppily made air duct out of cardboard to keep the boards cool. That still worked, but I didn't trust the plug, so that's eliminated. Also, someone had also replaced the 7 amp main fuse on the old supply with an 8 amp one. Anyways, the game now comes on and plays, but the CRT is shot. Massive burn-in and you have to crank the brightness up all the way just to get a faint picture. Luckily, I just bought a parts cab with a nice looking monitor in it with only a faint 'Game Over' burnt into it for $50. Also ended up buying a nearly complete Blue Shark that was sitting beside the parts PP for $75. Guess I bought more than planned! :grin:

Edited by simbalion

Found a replacement power supply/block for $40. Only thing different is that it seemed to lack the extra AC plug the old supply had, but that turned out to be an add-on that was also partially cooked on the old supply. Basically, someone had added a fan and sloppily made air duct out of cardboard to keep the boards cool. That still worked, but I didn't trust the plug, so that's eliminated.

Actually the fan and cardboard tunnel is factory, as is the extra plug on the power supply. The plug is easy enough to add though.

Mitch

Actually the fan and cardboard tunnel is factory, as is the extra plug on the power supply. The plug is easy enough to add though.

Mitch

Hmm, that I didn't know. There's no sign of either in the parts PP that I could tell when I checked it out. No extra plug on the Power Supply either. The wires on the extra plug on this one were kinda toasty, so I didn't trust them. Might be able to pull the other plug out and add it once I decide which cabinet to use and which to junk. (Cabinet I have right now is a bit rough and the parts one looked decent. Will know more Saturday!)

A little update to my progress. Here is what I started with: A complete Pole Position II in a shakey cabinet and a G07 monitor that appears to have a spent CRT.

post-8339-0-66571600-1404178178_thumb.jpg

Next I got this: A Pole Postion cabinet in better shape, but mostly gutted.

post-8339-0-66846000-1404178302_thumb.jpg

After a few hours work tonight, I switched all the components and boards to the better cabinet (except the monitor and the wiring harness) and now have a mostly working PPII. Which is amazing because the board is working on a cobbled glop of solder I was able to get to stick to the burnt edge connector. I will address that again soon. Also, I pulled the battery from the board as it was leaking and had already caused some minor damage. (Why did Atari go to a save battery? What happened to the non-volatile RAM used in Centipede?!) If it wont' hurt the game, I am not even going to bother replacing the battery. So, it lives, but there are a few issues left. One, the monitor in this cabinet will need a recap (of course). Two, I will switch to the better pedal that was in this machine as it has a practically new pentometer on it. Three, some of the dip switches seem unresponsive, but I am going by the directions on the back door, which are for the regular Pole Position. Mostly all that is left now is to finish stripping the junk cabinet before demolishing it. What to do with the G07 monitor? Maybe try to recap it and see if it revives? Well, final picture for now.

post-8339-0-14699300-1404178789_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Lookin' gooood!

Thanks! So far it is staying stable and I got some more dip-switch settings correct. Still can't get it to play sound on the attract mode or go lower than 4 laps for each track though. The battery being pulled doesn't seem to hurt things any, so I won't be replacing that, but I will get the monitor recapped and do some repairs on the edge connector. I'm surprised my slopped on solder is working. Guess if you throw enough solder at a burnt edge connector it will do something! LOL