IGNORED

Games that deserved to have a lynx port.

Prosystemsearch

@Lynxpro:

I'd completely forgotten about this old FB post you kindly shared with us regarding someone's claims of Lynx 720...

This is what he said regarding 720 Degrees on the Lynx over at the Atari Lynx Fans Facebook group:

"The Lynx version was near complete according to STUN Runner programmer D. Scott Williamson, so no idea why it wan't released. Here is a screenshot: It was just licensed from Tengen, game was being programmed in house at Atari's Chicago development studio."

That's NOT how it was reported in RetroGamer magazine at the time...

D.Scott Williamson is quoted as saying he clearly remembers Lynx 720 being coded, coin op being in his office..

Matt Scott who had found code, sending it onto D.Scott Williamson, but and i quote:

"Sadly it just turned out to be a demo of the skateboard character in the centre of the screen who was rotable with the joypad".

Article then just states the hunt for lynx version and why it was never released continues.

There's nothing about D.Scott giving any indication it was pretty much finished.

What's going on in the Atari community with claims these days?

Edited by Lost Dragon

Since Atari Corp and Atari Games had a better relationship with Lynx development than with the other Atari consoles, the Lynx could have gotten several more Atari Games arcade ports:

-Marble madness

-Super Sprint (Perfect for multi-player)

-Relief Pitcher

-Planet of robot monsters

-Moto Frenxy

-Bad Lands

Then you have the fact that Namco and Taito only released one game on the Lynx, Pac-land and Qix respectively.

The Lynx's power would have allowed namco to release:

-Druaga(1 and 2)

-Toy Pop

-Thunder Scepter

-Bravo Man

-Bosconian

-Dragon Spirit

-Pac-Mania

-Final Lap Games

-Burning Force

-Phozon

As for Taito:

-Rainbow Islands

-Rastan

-Master of Weapon

-Sonic Blast Man

-Arkanoid

-Bubble Bobble

-Darius

These games aren't able to run on the Game Boy or Game Gear but the Lynx is powerful enough so that ports of these would be more than possible.

Another thing the Lynx needed ports of was more Adventure and RPG games, the Lynx was the ONLY portable that was weak on those. While the quality was questionable, the GB and GG had a number Adventure games and Rpgs to choose from. I think the only game that would technically qualify in those categories would be Bill and Ted unless I'm forgetting something.

Edited by Spike Danton
  • Like 1

Game Gear did get Rastan:

As for Lynx RPG's..classic case of not short of annouced and unreleased ones:

Eye Of The Beholder.

Daemonsgate (Imagitec Design) Lynx version joined Master System, Game Gear and Amiga etc versions.

PC version was released but comprised over what had been expected.

Guardians:Storm Over Doria (joint venture between Telegames and Knight Technologies).

My bad, I meant Rastan 2. It's sometimes called Rastan Saga despite it being the second game.

As for cancelled games well, Atari had issues with that for all their later consoles. They really should have tried to get a few of those types of games earlier though. I know they wanted to make LYNX an arcade powerhouse, but they really where the only portable lacking those genres.

But otherwise, I still believe the Lynx was Ataris best console in terms of library since being renamed Atari Corp.

Edited by Spike Danton
  • Like 1

So what's the story with Vindicators then???

With luck 2019 will yield answers.

Confession time from myself.

In amongst the many zip files of Atari documentation Scott Stilphen sent me and i converted and shared online or passed onto Atarimania for their WIP Lynx section, we're key documents relating to 2 very high profile Lynx titles.

Vindicators was 1 of them.

I could of simply posted the documents up and left it at that, but i felt these games deserved a proper investigation.

So they were passed onto a friend of mine and have been used as part of a much bigger lost games project.

All i know at this stage is thanks to the documents, he tracked down the coders and conducted lengthy Skype interviews with them.

I've not seen the transcripts or write ups based on them myself.

But he has researched and documented countless lost games over the years and recovered many titles once believed lost.

I'm eagerly awaiting the official annoucement of his project and hope people understand why i took the approach i did.

We've waited years for a credible investigation to these titles and a few more months won't hurt.

• Like 1

With luck 2019 will yield answers.

Confession time from myself.

In amongst the many zip files of Atari documentation Scott Stilphen sent me and i converted and shared online or passed onto Atarimania for their WIP Lynx section, we're key documents relating to 2 very high profile Lynx titles.

Vindicators was 1 of them.

I could of simply posted the documents up and left it at that, but i felt these games deserved a proper investigation.

So they were passed onto a friend of mine and have been used as part of a much bigger lost games project.

All i know at this stage is thanks to the documents, he tracked down the coders and conducted lengthy Skype interviews with them.

I've not seen the transcripts or write ups based on them myself.

But he has researched and documented countless lost games over the years and recovered many titles once believed lost.

I'm eagerly awaiting the official annoucement of his project and hope people understand why i took the approach i did.

We've waited years for a credible investigation to these titles and a few more months won't hurt.

Very exciting news! I'll look forward to hearing more...

• Like 1

There should be something for everyone, formats wise ☺

As well as the Lynx, i passed on what scraps of info i had for a Playstation title and an Amstrad GX4000 title.

My friend has been doing painstaking research and hit the usual brick walls at times everyone does, questions being sent to people that never get replied to, red herring leads etc.

We did try and look deeper into 7800 titles like Electrocop, but the people involved simply did not want to talk about it.

Sorry, but all you can ever do is approach someone and see what they say.

Also in the interests of total transparency, as when i started sharing the files Scott passed on, there were nonsense claims appearing online i was hording information/pushing an agenda...

The only other files relating to the Lynx i never converted were those concerning Eye Of The Beholder.

Reasons being:

1) There were a bloody lot of them

2) An awful lot were legal documents.

I took the decision to forward everything onto Atarimania.

They have the smarts to know what can and can't be made public.

I hope the files can be put to good effect on the site and benifit the community.

And i kept no backup files myself, as they were passed onto myself with the intention of ensuring they were passed onto people and places that could ensure the wider community benifited from them.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

:-)) Had a chat with my friend regarding exactly what i'm allowed to say regarding his project,without landing myself in hot water :-))

Basically the research side is nearly finished, a modern title he had hoped to of had wrapped up, saw a key interview go cold, so he's had to find a replacement.

As for the 2 Lynx titles,he said:

" I am really looking forward to putting them out there for people to enjoy, as there is a lot of light shed on both titles - and it confirms/rejects a lot of the rumours going around."

He also hopes people understand the difficulties that arise getting people to talk openly and did say the documents Scott forwarded over proved very useful.

Not just in terms of whom to find, but as the basis for structured questions.

There were some...legalities on them,that mean they themselves probably won't be used in the articles, but it sounds like 2 mysteries could finally be put to rest.

There's still a way to go,as he's taken on quite an undertaking with this project.

But i will update the community when it's at the next stage.

We appreciate your patience.

• 4 months later...

So if I could choose a few games it would be:

Tempest 2000

Turrican

Cabal

Commando

Speedball

I believe these would also work realistically on the Lynx. But who am I to say that?

Anyway, I would like to have these games on the Lynx ...

Well...they converted Speedball II to the Game Boy:

https://youtu.be/PNl5mGcK21Q

Cabal was annouced and advertised for the Lynx.

http://www.atariage.com/catalog_page.html?CatalogID=71&currentPage=15

And there's always the Lynx Ops demo:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206803-lynx-ops/?hl=+lynx%20+ops

Edited by Lost Dragon

I don't think that Vince has a modded console with Mac Will mod. Indeed, Mac Will mod did not exist yet when game was demonstrated during an old AC.

Played a bit Neo Geo Superspy recently, game engine would be great on Lynx, but would require lot of memory for big sprites...

A

How doable are ST ports to the Lynx, for a small homebrew team?

A bit different as it was a commercial project,but IF you take Tiertex converting Strider II to the Lynx as an example;

2 man team?

Game had map data supplied from the Amiga version, music from ST version.

Coder played the Amiga version a lot and built game from that.

Lynx version made easier and had an exclusive, secret level.

Coding took 5 months of work.

Here's a man who knew how good the Lynx conversion was and how poor the home micro versions were:

As the designer of the original game, I was given a comp-copy of

S.T.U.N. Runner for the Lynx.

The conversion is FAR SUPERIOR!!! to the dreadful one

done for the PC by Domark. This game is still FAST!!! and that was

the whole point behind the game. The graphics are pretty accurate,

considering the resolution, and the sounds are faithful. The only

real problem I'm having is getting used to the controls, but most

games are like that. I'll probably continue to play the full

arcade game I have in my garage, but when I need a fix on the road,

this version will do nicely, thank you.

(Regarding the awful, awful home micro ports Domark were putting out)

I fully intend to pass it on to the

powers that be at Tengen (they're the ones with the final authority on

licensing product). Indeed, we're not blind to it, and many of our engineers

complain about it all the time...

- Ed Rotberg -

- Atari Games Corp. -

• Like 2