IGNORED

New website for Atari 2600 Collectors goes online soon

Schitti

You might want to make that PAL stamp image a little lighter or more faded or more transparent or whatever you want to call it:

attachicon.gifpal.png

It makes the text a little hard to read as it is right now.

PAL only... :sad:

But very useful for our friends across the pond who often get excluded from such lists... ;)

PAL only... :sad:

But very useful for our friends across the pond who often get excluded from such lists... ;)

We also have NTSC cabinets at home. Until it opens, still takes some time. ;-)

Currently we have more than enough work with the Pal Stuff.

We still have a longer ToDo list that we have not yet finished.

• Like 1

We also have NTSC cabinets at home. Until it opens, still takes some time. ;-)

Currently we have more than enough work with the Pal Stuff.

We still have a longer ToDo list that we have not yet finished.

It's cool. In a way, the Pal info is much more valuable because 90% of the info online is for NTSC region.

This appears to be artwork not true boxes (Condor Attack) (for some of the attached boxes images (from the small pictures, a poor ms paint rendition)).

Do you have an actual box picture front and back? Unless I'm not understanding the thread.

If you’re looking for a critique of the website;
- Why the URL Atariboxed.com? This is just 2600. Call it AtariPAL2600, what it is. You have capitalized on the fact Atari is in your URl and name and that you state rarity guide, hence the hits.
- The design resembles websites designed in 2000. The clipart box tile of Venture (and other boxes) hurts my eyes.
- The PAL watermark interferes with reading the text.
- Home in English, yet legal in non-English?
- Menu Icons "jump" on hover.
- Isn’t there already many 2600 rarity db’s?
- Your home page is titled ‘Atari 2600 Rarity Database’. Seems very limited.
- Where these sites always fail is that the "team" gets bored a year or two into it then everything stalls and goes defunct. Ratings become even more out dated, etc. Most rates you have are marked ‘?’, and you only have two categories ‘Cart’ and ‘CIB’? And your title says Rarity yet you have limited rated??????

The worlds a critic :)

Edited by chrislynn5

From the depths of the cabinet, new and interesting things emerge. This picture is for all those who were not convinced yet.

It is just one of many highlights. The others you have to seek and find yourself.

attachicon.gifAtariBoxed.com.jpg

AtariBoxed-Team

This isn't a pic of a box? This is clipart, a mock-up. The link on the site has images that are so small you can't read the text??????

The images should be of actual boxes. not representatives of them. It might exist, but this isn't the box picture.

You might have a browser problem,when I click on the link on the site,it is large,it is full size and quite readable.

I.E. 9 shows it small, Chrome and Firefox show large. What browsers did you design for?

Also, now that i can see the box, there is an image overlaying the company name. Really. I can't believe that Funvision not only created labels to cover the original mfg but they tried to recreate the background pattern to make it look like the box was printed with the name Funvision.

For PAL games? Basically zero up till now.

My point then, call it a PAL Atari 2600 reference website then, that just so happens to offer rarity when available (and standardized :) ).

Then you can specialize making it more successful, then to try to be more to everyone.

Edited by chrislynn5

Nearly 1100 hits in 3 days is not that bad!

We have had a very good start.

Stay tuned- we are just at the beginning!

Remember "hits" don't really reflect use, try looking at duration on the home page, then depth the user goes into the website. My guess is that you're feeding off Atari and Rarity in the URI and website text.

Not trying to take the wind from beneath your sail.... 75+% will never go past the first page, nor stay on it longer than a few seconds. Or you might be recording all assests like images in your "hit" count.

After sometime, I'd say a few months, the trending metrics will stablize. Focus on ranking in google, etc through page design and submittals.

This appears to be artwork not true boxes (Condor Attack) (for some of the attached boxes images (from the small pictures, a poor ms paint rendition)).

Do you have an actual box picture front and back? Unless I'm not understanding the thread.

- Why the URL Atariboxed.com? This is just 2600. Call it AtariPAL2600, what it is. You have capitalized on the fact Atari is in your URl and name and that you state rarity guide, hence the hits.

- The design resembles websites designed in 2000. The clipart box tile of Venture (and other boxes) hurts my eyes.

- Where these sites always fail is that the "team" gets bored a year or two into it then everything stalls and goes defunct. Ratings become even more out dated, etc. Most rates you have are marked ‘?’, and you only have two categories ‘Cart’ and ‘CIB’? And your title says Rarity yet you have limited rated??????

Condor Attack is an exception to the rest of the scans. Currently we are awaiting better scans of the box front and back, and 'no' the current scans are not MS Paint or photoshop etc... this box has been sighted in person and is definitely legit.

Why Atariboxed? Well why not? The aim of the site is to provide a comprehensive database of boxed atari games. It may not be 100% complete nor 100% boxed - but that is the goal and this will continue to develop over the years. If we waited to complete the database before going live - then we would be waiting a lifetime - literally.

"You have capitalized on the fact Atari is in your URl and name and that you state rarity guide, hence the hits" - Although I can't speak personally for the site owner, I would have thought this would be an intelligent strategy to lure in Atari collectors... I mean it is a site dedicated to the Atari and happens to have a rarity guide....

The website is in English obviously to appeal to the international audience. The legal is in German, because the website is registered in Germany and therefore the legal applies to German law.

As already mentioned above - there are no other PAL rarity databases.

As to the team becoming bored - me aside, all other members of the team have been active Atari collectors for over a decade. I don't think they are going to get bored in a hurry. Ratings are constantly being discussed and voted on within the team, and will continue to be added to companies not yet rated (where you see the ?). As for just 'cart' and 'CIB'... I don't see the use of rating 'manual'?

This isn't a pic of a box? This is clipart, a mock-up. The link on the site has images that are so small you can't read the text??????

The images should be of actual boxes. not representatives of them. It might exist, but this isn't the box picture.

The Condor Attack again, I doubt there are more than a handful of cropped scans out of the 3393 in total. And to set it straight again - this isn't clip art or a mock-up.

I.E. 9 shows it small, Chrome and Firefox show large. What browsers did you design for?

Also, now that i can see the box, there is an image overlaying the company name. Really. I can't believe that Funvision not only created labels to cover the original mfg but they tried to recreate the background pattern to make it look like the box was printed with the name Funvision.

I have viewed the site on a number of browsers, and get the same result on all. So you might be having problems with your browsers.

Yes - the box has a 'Funvision' sticker that overlays the Ultravision company name, and it has the background pattern on it too. This is not the first time these have been found on Ultravision boxes and T-Handle carts before.

My point then, call it a PAL Atari 2600 reference website then, that just so happens to offer rarity when available (and standardized :) ).

Then you can specialize making it more successful, then to try to be more to everyone.

?

The website should appeal to everyone. I guess if you are purely an NTSC collector, and the website has nothing to offer you, then you simply take a mental note and don't find it necessary to visit again. But many collectors in NTSC regions, collect PAL too, so it will appeal to an international audience. In fact there are far more PAL regions in the world than NTSC, so trying to appeal to 'everyone' makes more sense.

Further to this, the database will be expanding into NTSC territory in the future - so keep it on your radar ;)

remember advice is just that :)

and we appreciate it. Thanks

• Like 2

I believe far more people living in PAL territories also collect NTSC than people in NTSC territories collect PAL. SMS is probably the lone exception to that rule due to universal compatability and larger PAL library.

Either way, I will keep it bookmarked. :thumbsup:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

you could see the scan of the Condor Attack box, if you were able to use the searchmask of our website. But it might fail because you are using a browser that is no longer supported (worldwide). Do you use Windows XP?

You can create yourself a database and create it like you like it. I didn't knew that I need to ask you first. Or do you have a conflict of interest with our project?

Sure, there are many Atari 2600 Databases out there, but show me at least one Website like our, for PAL Games. The Website is for a 30 year old system and games, so why should we make a futuristic website with a lot of nonsense.

As Nofrills100 in his post mentioned, in Germany there are other laws to which we must adhere. I would also prefer less effort.

If you want to know what is written there, then use the google translator.

And oh yes, the legal detail Menu icon jumps on IE9 and we are not willing to spend time in supporting a outdated browser in the future, but thanks for the note.

I'm waiting for your answer, them maybe i fix the error for you, if this is SO important for you. ;-) (or for someone else)

Who on our team do you know that you can say that we have no interest in continuing the project.

At least i can say that we have no interest in a google ranking nor in worldwide attention of any persons outside the Community.

What is your contribution to the community, except your messages here.

btw: Our statistics say that four visitors were from Georgia. i hope you have not visited our site 4 times by mistake.

Thanks again for your advice and the free bump

;)

Edited by Schitti
  • Like 3

And oh yes, the legal detail Menu icon jumps on IE9 and we are not willing to spend time in supporting a outdated browser in the future, but thanks for the note.

I'm waiting for your answer, them maybe i fix the error for you, if this is SO important for you. ;-) (or for someone else)

I don't even collect 2600 games, I just design software and large scale sites for a living. It's my day job, not a hobby. But hey, you think you know more. Good for you, I hope that works for you.

At least the other "team" member was professional with their response.

But it might fail because you are using a browser that is no longer supported (worldwide). Do you use Windows XP?

Really, IE 9 outdated. It's Win7 and above (your XP dig wasn't even accurate) Google it to better understand what is currently in use, outdated, and no longer supported.

It just may save your life someday...

Interesting, you won't design a website that is more modern (laid out and designed using techniques in the last 10 years), but you refer to only supporting the most recent browsers.

What do you think this group uses? Some are using our Atari 800's.... :)

Edited by chrislynn5

I believe far more people living in PAL territories also collect NTSC than people in NTSC territories collect PAL. SMS is probably the lone exception to that rule due to universal compatability and larger PAL library.

Absolutely correct, in my experience. Mostly due to game library sizes. 2600 PAL carts are surprisingly common in North America compared to other systems (except SMS as you mentioned - especially in Canada) which is why there's plenty of interest in this site on AA, even from the NTSC crowd.

Really, IE 9 outdated. It's Win7 and above (your XP dig wasn't even accurate) Google it to better understand what is currently in use, outdated, and no longer supported.

It just may save your life someday...

I'm pretty sure they aren't aiming at the grandparents and office worker crowd. I bet the browser statistics for your average Atari site are well under 10% IE on a given day, outside of office hours when people are forced to use it.

IE has been outdated for a decade now, regardless of version. From your perspective of making money designing sites and Pagerank etc, you probably disagree, but that's the difference between a commercial enterprise and a hobby. This is most certainly the latter.

• Like 2

At least the other "team" member was professional with their response.

I am pleased that you have also noticed that it depends on the tone.

you've written first in the thread and i have just answered.

Read you your own posts through again and tell me if my tone was too rough.

I apologize that my native language is not English.

You criticize our hobby and make the result bad. Professionally it would have been of you,

if you had pointed out that there are problems in a browser and call it by name. (or whatelse) instead of bashing us.

I'm happy for you that you have the day job that i have only as a hobby in my free time.

And you can not tell me that a lot of aa-members use a atari 800 to browse a website for atari 2600 games or a website you've created in your job. Nah. Maybe I'm wrong and I should start a poll.

It was nice of you that you have helped, that life has come back into this thread.

post-17534-0-71562700-1406400910_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

wow, who do you actually think uses this stuff. Teens!. It's 35+ something's (by majority). You really don't know do you.

And just because your mom tells you are cool, don't make it so. She loves your site, I get that.

You criticize our hobby and make the result bad.

"Our" hobby, I said something about your website and you cried like a baby.

browser and call it by name. (or whatelse) instead of bashing us.

"Bashing you", you're an idiot.

wow, who do you actually think uses this stuff. Teens!. It's 35+ something's (by majority). You really don't know do you.

And just because your mom tells you are cool, don't make it so. She loves your site, I get that.

"Our" hobby, I said something about your website and you cried like a baby.

"Bashing you", you're an idiot.

troll somewhere else please

• Like 3