IGNORED

Atari 800 - Best Game Pack : Releases

starwindz

I "accidentally" played through Ultima III over the last couple of weeks, so I can verify that it works properly. ;-)

There does seem to be a missing dungeon more-or-less directly north of Lord British's Castle, but I'm not sure if that's how the game was originally or not. My memories of long ago suggest it should be there, but I wouldn't swear to it.

• 1 month later...

Fav=1 is used to denote which games show up in the view... ok.

Is there anything that can be used to denote multi-disk games? In other Gamebase variations, curators typically don't place multiple versions of the same file inside the ZIP..This is a bit of a headache from a maintenance perspective, as I can't easily detect which games have multiple disks, without resorting to insane regexps.

-Thom

The reason there are so many lines in the DB is because multiple versions of each game were added pretty much on a "if this one does not work try the next one".

So my really really badly delayed one by one check needs to be done, basically I need to go through and check every image. I started to get involved just after many had been added, my check will find the duds, repeats and hard trained ones and they will be weeded out, the up shot is a smaller in size download but its a long job and as most know my daughter spent last year battling anorexia and was only allowed out of hospital at the end of this June, since then its still a long process to try and minimise any return to full on anorexia. Sadly with anorexia comes many unhealthy mental disorders like depression, OCD and general mental health downs which need constant supervision as well as medication to prevent a return. With initial release the starts at the most likely return to the anorexia, the self harm etc etc because of the freedom.

Basically its a bloody awful illness that hangs around hoping to seduce the patient back in to its grips.

So my time is almost constantly diverted to my daughter, it does not help that she also has a syndrome that prevents the onset of periods which for a 15yr old is a really bad time to have hormone issues. That and it being her start of final exams means stress levels are through the roof which again the anorexia takes advantage of by altering her mood to dark thoughts. Thankfully I suffer from depression and other mental health issues (No, I don't want to eat people with a nice Chianti) so I can understand and guide her as my moods match hers to a large degree.

So....Basically its a hard time to think about the gamepack but its one thing I DO want to fix and it WILL be done...Its not been helped by losing a chunk of work I had already done...But I'll get back to it.

Paul...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Can someone explain to me, even though there are 1073 games listed in the 1.2.0 beta 3, why there are 6857 rows in the Games database table?

-Thom

Half answered this already but take in to consideration that the DB also holds all the extra's etc....So, many many lines are needed..

I think I've figured it out. The mapper=XX values correspond to the cartridge mapper numbers that can be passed on startup to avoid seeing the "which type of cart is this" menu...

Just to let you know what i'm doing: I have a smart home platform that I am one of the core developers:, it can be acquired here: http://www.linuxmce.org/... One of the media players that can be enabled in a room is the Game Player, which acts as a controller for a number of emulators, while also providing a bridge for the various touch screen devices we support (called Orbiters) to be able to do basic control (start, insert coin, play/pause, select game, set bookmarks, move the game to another room, etc.), and am using the a8bgp database, as a basis to grab metadata (covers, etc.) and games to push into the system. So I've been peeling away the Access database, converting it to SQL, and writing a scraper to crawl the resulting database, getting meaningful data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-29IfFdsrY <-- the 5 min introduction to LinuxMCE (moving media)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCFmlug3dW4 <-- Playing different versions of Space Invaders through the Game Player.

-Thom

Yes the mapper idea does sound right, for some reason I hear mappers and think only of the NES mappers system :)

As for what you are doing sounds ace, not my sort of stuff but it really sounds truly intriguing, I love the whole moving it around idea..

The very best of luck to you on that, I hope its a massive success...

Paul...

• 2 months later...

This pack and interface is amazing!

Thank you so much for making this and everyone involved. 25 something pages of this thread.. I am trying to scan it to find the answer to my question, but I didn't see it (so forgive me if it was asked already)

I have acquired the "Atari Gamebase 800 v11" and I hear there is a v12 out there somewhere...

The gamebase seems to have a much larger collection of roms... is there any way to import games from that database into the one provided in this game pack?

Looking inside the directories of the Best Game Pack I noticed a the gamebase folder, and the games inside are organized the exact same way. Are these projects one of the same? Only the Best games pack just has the favorite or "best" games selected? Just a bit curious... and also confused. I was wondering if someone could clarify all this. I have 3 rom sets on my PC now...

Anyway, thanks again for this... It's really helping me with my multicart projects.

Edited by electrohaze

Hi,

The gamepack is purely a selected set of what people like me, Starwindz and folk on this forum have decided are the cream of the crop / most liked games, Marks gamebase of which V12 is out there and I'll find you a link later is a FULL collection of games so much bigger than the gamepack so both are good to have.

Yes the way the gamepack is laid out is similar to the gamebase because it uses the same core ideals of the database but the game pack front end is custom written by Starwindz and adds loads of custom little features but sadly you cannot easily import games to the gamepack, it needs a person to manually update the database which unless you know all the sub commands needed to run the games is beyond the average user BUT you can always ask for games to be added but remember our gamepack is a sort of best of while Marks wonderful gamebase which I've had the pleasure to help with a little bit is for everything hence I recommend both packs.

At the moment the gamepack is on hold due to ongoing medical issues with my daughter, basically I'm having to do a hundred and one things a day where I used to have plenty of time, I will get back to it but my daughter comes first but as I have said before I will 100% be back to do the game check that's badly needed.

And one little bit of advice, when referring to computer game databases which are largely DISK based you will get stick from folk for using the term 'roms', roms are generally considered for console gamebases as they for the older ones all used roms. I've seen many a person get savaged for using the term roms :)

If you need more help re the gamepack then feel free to ask, I'll answer as best I can :)

• Like 1

My pleasure, Marks gamebase is a great collection of titles and one of the many Gamebases he's done, wonderful work on his part, loads of extra's, I helped with some of the basic conversions for Marks gamebase but we are talking 0.000005% of the work in that gamebase, considering the number of gamebases he has on the go its amazing work by him and it compliments Starwindz (all design, front end programming and updates, I check add and organise the software with great input from people on here) and my gamepack perfectly.

• Like 1

Hi,

The gamepack is purely a selected set of what people like me, Starwindz and folk on this forum have decided are the cream of the crop / most liked games, Marks gamebase of which V12 is out there and I'll find you a link later is a FULL collection of games so much bigger than the gamepack so both are good to have.

Yes the way the gamepack is laid out is similar to the gamebase because it uses the same core ideals of the database but the game pack front end is custom written by Starwindz and adds loads of custom little features but sadly you cannot easily import games to the gamepack, it needs a person to manually update the database which unless you know all the sub commands needed to run the games is beyond the average user BUT you can always ask for games to be added but remember our gamepack is a sort of best of while Marks wonderful gamebase which I've had the pleasure to help with a little bit is for everything hence I recommend both packs.

At the moment the gamepack is on hold due to ongoing medical issues with my daughter, basically I'm having to do a hundred and one things a day where I used to have plenty of time, I will get back to it but my daughter comes first but as I have said before I will 100% be back to do the game check that's badly needed.

And one little bit of advice, when referring to computer game databases which are largely DISK based you will get stick from folk for using the term 'roms', roms are generally considered for console gamebases as they for the older ones all used roms. I've seen many a person get savaged for using the term roms :)

If you need more help re the gamepack then feel free to ask, I'll answer as best I can :)

Thanks for the advice! Should I just call them collection of .ATRs? or what? I find the gamebase mostly .ATR and .XEX files. .ATR.s are disk images... what would the .xex file be? What's the best general term to use for a collection such as this?

Also, thanks for posting v12, I will try to download it now. Is there a torrent for it?

I currenlty using v11 with the best game pack, and an additional pack I found with many XEX files. (which I prefer)

Edited by electrohaze

You call them what you like, I use the term disk images but there are some cartridge rom images, an XEX is basically an executable file, same as an exe, on the C64 they would be prg files, ATR's are good because they are full disk images so if the game multiloads it will be on an ATR, with XEX's its normally a one part file ie if it loads the whole game in memory.

I just didn't want you getting the old "its computer stuff, not roms" speech..

As for V12, there have been torrents of it but they tend to dry up fast with zero seeders, at least with the Gamebase you can add your own titles but its a mini hassle as the pairs needed for setting up the correct emulation options ie use XL with 64K isn't fun, with the gamebase and 99.9% of the gamepack we have set them up for you but a few slip through :)

• 5 weeks later...

Fingers crossed, apart from my daughters birthday on the 23rd of this month I appear to have a quiet time coming up so I'm finally going to start on the re-do of the gamepack and as long as Starwindz is still on board I'll be passing a corrected set with the possibility of some new additions to the pack. Its not something that will happen over night as I have to go through all the images making sure they play properly, are not full on cheats etc, I'll also be removing excess images from the zips as some have 5 versions of the same game, the only impact this could have on people are that the default image you have selected my need to be changed as it might be one of the files removed and the only other thing I can think is that people who have made save states from one file version may be broken on a different image but its not 100% likely.

Another thing people wanted and I'm happy to oblige is the introduction of ATX images created from originals and unless Farb minds (I'll PM him in a while) I'll use his dumps so you will have the best dump to play with where they exist.

The pros and cons of this are

Pros:

Smaller gamepack to download

Decluttered

100% working images tested to a good level

Proper verified dumps where I can add them

Hopefully some new additions.

Cons

Minor inconvenience of possibly picking a new default

re download of the gamepack

Now remember, I have to check all the images, find any missing ones, replace broken ones, add all the settings needed to boot these properly under emulation and type it all out, it won't be 5 mins but it will give a nice streamlined pack that is 100% ok (ok, I might miss one or two :) )

First thing I need to do is contact Farb and Starwindz to make sure its all ok, if yes then its on....

Hopefully my daughters anorexia treatment won't get worse so I should be able to work a lot on the gamepack..

Paul..

Edit: Farb and Starwindz messaged.....Here's hoping...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Just so people know, I've had no word (as yet) from Starwindz and as he has to do all the data entry that I generate I do need him to be on board, he is a VERY busy guy and has a very very important job so he could be anywhere in the world rather than at home in South Korea.

As soon as I know his status I'll make an update, I just don't want to get to bogged down if by any chance he's too busy to return to the project and as its his project I also don't want to tread on his toes, he's the boss, I just organise the Atari side...

Paul..

Hello again. I am sorry It's a long time to visit the forum again.
Since several months I have got a new job position in my company so I am still quite a busy. However, even if I am terribly busy now, I also know that I should return to the this project in the near future since I have a responsibility for the gamepack development. Some time needed.... More months...

@Mclaneinc
Could you please make some kind of to-do-list including the priority for the gamepack improvement? It will be quite useful when I return to this project. It's a just my idea. What do you think about that?
Edited by starwindz

• 3 weeks later...

Due to problems that are not my place to talk details about Starwindz cannot return to the project for the foreseeable future, I'll muddle about in the background but at the moment I ask you simply to offer Starwindz your best wishes as he deals with a family matter. The pair of us seem to be going through testing times with my daughter having a relapse in to anorexia and the family issue Starwindz is dealing with.