IGNORED

Loud popping noise from Lynx II

Rick Dangerous

I was playing my Lynx II yesterday, the batteries were low (light flashing) and all of a sudden a LOUD pop came from within the Lynx casing. It felt almost like someone threw a fast pebble that hit the back of it. I could feel the thing move in my hand a bit.

Has anyone run into this before, and know what it might be?

It kept working afterword's and didn't smell like burning wires or anything, but it definitely startled me. I'd hate to get zapped by my Lynx, it does seem like 6 AA's could muster a pretty good shock.

I did that was the first thing I checked, because that's what it sounded like. All batteries intact though.

Very strange because no smoke/burnt smell, and the unit kept functioning.

I've heard the Lynx II can have some voltage/surge issues, so I'm wondering if it was just a static buildup, or brief discharge of some sort.

Not always! It can still work with a blown cap. I would be worried about the 5v level tbh. Can't think what else would blow a cap. Worth taking it to bits to see what's happened. If a cap has gone, you might find the Zener has broken down and 5v level is too high. If that had happened, it could work for a while, and then bye bye to custom chips etc.

Yes, there's a Zener diode used to regulate supply to 5v. If that fails or starts to break down, the 5v level can increase, to say 6v, 7v, even all the way to 9v... Worth having a quick look inside, just to put your mind to rest.

Thanks I will have to take a look. I will post a pic if I find a blown Cap. Might not get to it for a few days as my Lynx is out on my boat right now..lol