IGNORED

Which is your cartridge-only based 3D racer of choice?

NeoGeoNinja

Which is your cart-based 3D racer of choice?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your cart-based 3D racer of choice?

• Checkered Flag
    • Club Drive
    • Supercross 3D

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I think most of us here know the low down concerning the state of affair concerning cart-based racing games on the Atari Jaguar.

We're all pretty much agreeable that Super Burnout & Power Drive Rally ARE the best racing titles for the system. Indeed, they're two of the best titles for the Jaguar FULL STOP imo. I'm sure 90%+ of you agree. No doubt some of you will have a soft spot for Atari Karts too, however, I've not had the pleasure yet, personally.

However, what of those 3D cart-based racing titles for the Jag?: Checkered Flag, Club Drive & Supercross 3D?

When you decide that it's time to exact some pain on yourself, for whatever reason, and you fancy attempting to engage in some 3D cart-based racing for the Jaguar, which is your 3D racer of choice?

Do you prefer to just chill out and undertake the 1P TT-style point-to-point racing (etc) of Club Drive?

Or the nice gfx, great music yet broken controls and iffy framerate of Checkered Flag?

Or the choppy framerate, repetitive music yet not completely unplayable Supercross 3D?

I realise that this is very much, the whole different shades of brown sh*t, but still... :-D

• Like 2

Voted Club Drive.

It's easiest the most playable of the 3 and it's one of those "it's so bad, it's good" games. 2 player Club Drive is pretty good and really funny. Club Drive really isn't that bad of a game(by Jaguar standards), it's the 4th best cartridge racing game on the system.

Edited by SuperDork3000

Only racing game on the jaguar that I could recommend to anyone and honestly say it's an above average game would be Super Burnout,

Power Drive Rally is generally a good game but those god forsaken skill tests really bog things down, and (at least imo) the sound is rather poor with some really timid music and a generally muffled sound.

Can't say that I really have a favorite among the 3D racers, I think they all have their own merits (not to mention they're 3 entirely different types of games) and falter in different ways.

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1

For anyone wondering; Yes.

I deliberately constructed this poll around the 3 racing games for that Jaguar that are:

1. 3D
  2. considered the weaker end of the racing game spectrum for Jaguar
  3. considered 3 of the weakest titles for the Jaguar, 'full stop'

I appreciate that they all have their own share of pluses and minuses (for example, Club Drive's 2P Powerball & Tag mode IS actually good fun, regardless of the hate this game garners), BUT, I just wanted to see which of the 3 people would select when backed into a corner, so to speak.

For what it's worth, I actually extract some sort of masochistic enjoyment from ALL 3 of these titles whenever I play them, however, if I'm deadly honest, I actually get 'more' out of Supercross 3D than I do the other 2 titles in this poll. Thus, my vote :)

Definitely one of those situations where there is NO right answer :grin:

You know, if all levels of Checkered Flag played like the video below, it seems like it would be a fast and funfilled game! With that said, I actually did choose Chekered Flag. Club Drive is squeaky and seems more of a tech demo that turned into a supposed game, than anything. I'm not saying it isn't fun to just toy around with but that's it. Something really small children may actually spend countless hours on and enjoy. It had to have been an awful feelng to actually spend $59 (or $69 for Jag games in my area when they first came out) on Club Drive.

Wait, what is Super Cross 3D? ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSuth4UYm74

I appreciate that they all have their own share of pluses and minuses (for example, Club Drive's 2P Powerball & Tag mode IS actually good fun, regardless of the hate this game garners), BUT, I just wanted to see which of the 3 people would select when backed into a corner, so to speak.

Alright then, if I must... :ponder:

I go with Austin and choose Club Drive as the tastiest turd available! :woozy: :P

• Like 2

These are all games that when I started collecting for Jag, I gave a wide berth, because everyone and their brother said they are total shite. Now I kind of want all three of them, and I bet I'd like them too...What has happened to me!!

The other part of the allure is that it's always fun to find Jaguar games that you can get new in box for around $25-30 bucks..

The one game I can never allow myself to get is white men can't jump. Then I will have truly gone to the dark side

WMCJ is a blast to play with two people Plays a bit like NBA Jam with a bit more 3dish to it. C'mon give it a try. I avoided it for 20 years because of what other people said. I finally picked it up a few years ago. And geez if I had known back in the day my friend and I would of played the hell out of this game.

These are all games that when I started collecting for Jag, I gave a wide berth, because everyone and their brother said they are total shite. Now I kind of want all three of them, and I bet I'd like them too...What has happened to me!!

The other part of the allure is that it's always fun to find Jaguar games that you can get new in box for around $25-30 bucks..

The one game I can never allow myself to get is white men can't jump. Then I will have truly gone to the dark side

WMCJ is a blast to play with two people Plays a bit like NBA Jam with a bit more 3dish to it. C'mon give it a try. I avoided it for 20 years because of what other people said. I finally picked it up a few years ago. And geez if I had known back in the day my friend and I would of played the hell out of this game.

I don't own WMCJ either, but just because I haven't seen it for a price I want to pay just yet.

I will end up with it at some point though...

Thanks for the tip. I'm not opposed to getting a game just for the two player mode, which is also why I'm thinking of getting club drive soon (thanks to this thread, amongst others).