IGNORED

How hard is it to mod a Jag ctrl into a pro?

phoenixdownita

I quote:

"PRO CONTROLLER. Game controller. Provides more action buttons to

be used in games. Adds three more "fire" buttons (X, Y, Z, which
correspond to 7, 8, 9 on the numeric keypad) and two index-finger
buttons (L and R, which correspond to 4 and 6). Some games were
designed/optimized for the Pro Controller (PRIMAL RAGE, HIGHLANDER,
SUPER BURNOUT, ATARI KARTS, and BATTLEMORPH are the most notable
ones); other titles, while not specifically written for the Pro
Controller, are easier to play with the easier access to the keypad."

How hard would it be to drill 5 holes and wired up 5 switches (tact type with possible caps)?

[2 for the shoulder and 3 for X,Y,Z]

I believe the shoulder buttons should be not too hard as long as I don't need the whole lever and be happy with an actually push button sticking out (they can have caps that are up to 1inch long so plenty to pass thru the casing).

Regarding X,Y,Z it seems like the spacing is really tight and that groovy/wavy plastic atop A,B,C really annoying (no wonder they dropped it on the Pro).

Anyone tried with success?

Is there enough space inside the casing?

Finally is it enough to wire the switches in parallel to the corresponding keypad buttons? [i believe this is safe but you never know]

Keep in ind that the keypad is 12 buttons on its own, although not strictly necessary by adapting any other pad you'll miss on those for sure.

I'd prefer not to lose the feature. Hence my question on how hard to slap in 5 tact switches in place, how bad would it look and how functional it would actually be.

Keep in ind that the keypad is 12 buttons on its own, although not strictly necessary by adapting any other pad you'll miss on those for sure.

I'd prefer not to lose the feature. Hence my question on how hard to slap in 5 tact switches in place, how bad would it look and how functional it would actually be.

I don't know anything about that, but if you figure it out I'll buy a few!! What about the shoulder buttons?

A pass-through on an original controller (or vice versa) could be used to plug something else in. Kind of like how the 5200's Masterplay sticks work.

• Like 1

I've taken a look at the internals and I see 2 ways (outside of a pass thru connector for another 6 button + shoulder joystick).

I believe I can put small tact switches for the shoulder buttons quite easily, they won't have the levers but they would be practically at the tip of the indices, or on the bottom of the pad towards the front where the indeices are anyway .... will see which way to go there, space is a little tight for no real reason (could grind away a little of the directional pad PCB and reroute the signals that may get cut).

The X,Y,Z is more interesting. I believe I can slide again small tact switches above the A,B,C but it is pretty tight, an alternative would be to rewire A,B,C to be X,Y,Z and put the tact switches below them and make them A,B,C. There's more space in there and I could use bigger tact switches ... but it may make the posture of the "button hand" unnatural.

The more radical approach is to completely rebuild the whole area of A,B,C, first sealing their holes, then put all 6 switches in one shot, this will give more leeway for positioning but it is also a lot of work that involves filling plastic holes with some kind of cement/glue/goo (the bottom can be reinforced to avoid collapse of the filling). Even more radical is to make a rectangular cut out in the whole buttons area, place whatever switches in the right places then build a "cover with holes" out of "stolen" plastic material (there's plenty of "black" flat plastic going around anyway that would fit the bill)

Likely drilling holes below A,B,C seems to be the path of less resistance, I'll probably try that and see what I get out of it, although not a big fan of rewiring what not strictly needed.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

Or better yet, make a universal adapter so you could use an X-Arcade joystick, SNES pad, 6-button Genesis pad, etc. Shocked nobody has come up with something like this yet. :(

If noone did it this is because the Jagpad is simply the state of art of all times :D

Edited by Felyx
  • Like 1

I messed around with it last night and found out that I can remove the 3 buttons and related rubber domes and have enough space thru the holes for the switches and between the existing PCB and the casing for my PCB.

In the holes I am capable (with a little convincing that is) to put 2 6x6 tact switches (still evaluating the height, for now it's 6x6x7), and that over a PCB.

My PCB can be sitting on top of the existing PCB and be wired I believe comfortably.

I will publish a picture of the 6 button PCB stand alone and inside the casing so you guys can see what I mean.

Don't expect anything too pretty, the holes aren't filled by the 2 switches and you can see thru my PCB, but that is secondary for the time being.

I have not had the time to wire anything, just wanted to see if I can avoid permanent mods to the top of the controller.

The nice part so far is that doing it this way it is fully reversible, no harm to the ctrl, no holes, nothing, even the wiring underneath it need not be invasive and destructive.

I was personally planning to let my PCB sit on top of the existing one pushed up by double sided tape and that's it, the tact switches placement make them a snug fit in the existing holes so they really won't move.

So far the drawback is that the 6x6x7 switches have small pegs for my fingers and may make pressing them a chore, so I just ordered plastic caps for them (didn't know they existed till 1H ago) and see how that goes.

The caps go on the pegs to make them taller and thicker hence less painful to press I believe, assuming I can fit them and they don't come off all the time.

On the shoulder buttons side 6x6x7 are just too short to go thru the shell, I ordered 6x6x13 and 6x6x17 to try something out. It'll be a while before I get them but if in the meantime I can get the top 6 buttons to work it would be a good day.

Unfortunately I need holes for the shoulder buttons but I wouldn't mind to keep them even if I revert the rest, so maybe it is not a bad thing.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

What I'd like is an adapter that takes a Saturn 6-button pad as well as a USB numeric keypad to make a fake ProPad. The Saturn pad is widely accepted as the best pad ever made, and USB numeric keypads are dirt cheap on ebay.

I wouldn't say the Saturn pad is so widely accepted as the best. It's decent and has its fans, but I would definitely pick quite a few before this.

Personally I think that either Dreamcast or Orginal big Xbox controllers would be the best to mod. Not because they are the best, but because they have the size to allow a keypad to be built in, while being of decent qulity and better ergonomy than the original Jag pad.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the caps and also soldered the whole thing.

The bad: buttons are too tall, too small and too crammed, button mashers/frequent tappers are a little hard on the fingers.

The good: it all works as expected and most games can be played quite comfortably.

The ugly: none really, I am still waiting for the shoulder buttons.

[The red cap is just a visual clue on where A is, the seller added the red for free on an order of 10 blue]

post-36731-0-76593400-1404676646_thumb.jpg

post-36731-0-52909100-1404676649_thumb.jpg

post-36731-0-89606200-1404676650_thumb.jpg

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 3