IGNORED

What are you playing this summer?

sloth-machine

Every summertime I revert to my early teenage years when I got my Atari 2600 and small collection of games. That summer I played those games everyday and traded a few with my friend next door....River Raid, Starmaster, Super Breakout, Defender, and Demon Attack - many of my favorite games to this day.

• Like 2

On Atari

Adventure (because it never gets old for me)

Mountain King (because it is a strange little obsession of mine)

Jr. Pac-Man (because I am a glutton for punishment)

On Other Systems

Strata (a nifty Zen puzzler, playing on Steam)

Pac-Man Championship Edition (a serious addiction, playing on my Roku)

Miner 2049er Again (my favorite version of Miner, playing on my PC)

On Atari

Adventure (because it never gets old for me)

Mountain King (because it is a strange little obsession of mine)

Jr. Pac-Man (because I am a glutton for punishment)

On Other Systems

Strata (a nifty Zen puzzler, playing on Steam)

Pac-Man Championship Edition (a serious addiction, playing on my Roku)

Miner 2049er Again (my favorite version of Miner, playing on my PC)

Does Pac-Man Championship Edition have a lot of replayability? How are the leaderboards -- hacked to death, or respectable?

Does Pac-Man Championship Edition have a lot of replayability? How are the leaderboards -- hacked to death, or respectable?

I'd say the replay value is the same as the original Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man arcade coin-ops. For me that is high value, for others it's low. Pac-Man CE is short and sweet and always the same, but I enjoy it so much I consider the repetitiveness a benefit, not a detriment. The Roku edition has six versions (not sure how this compares to XBOX), all of which are timed at 10:00 or 5:00. But it plays pretty much like old-school Pac-Man: there are no upgrades or unlockables (except achievement badges). Just eat and run until time expires. It is what it is. I don't know much about the leaderboards because on the Roku edition they are tied to Facebook, and I am not a Facebook user.

I've been testing a lot of games I've been picking up, and a few really hooked me to play a lot longer than needed for testing :D

Flash Gordon - what? this game is a ton of fun, why haven't I heard more talk about it?

Pitfall II - Great music, graphics, and gameplay. Super impressive, and will be coming back for more soon.

and the most impressive game I've played, Ikari Warriors. I love the NES version, but this 2600 one I picked up recently off the marketplace is an amazingly impressive programming feat.

I also really enjoyed Fathom, but I couldn't figure out the game too well. The control and graphics are awesome, but I don't understand the goal clearly. Ghostbusters took me a minute to understand the goal, but once I figured it out I had a lot of fun trying to capture ghosts :D Another game I had a bunch of fun with was No Escape, the combination of space invaders and breakout was a blast - I wish it used the paddle controller though.

Overall, 2600 has been very enjoyable for me the past few days :D

• Like 1

Been playing Track and Field on the 2600 since I got it yesterday. Been wanting to play it on actual hardware since I started collecting for the 2600. I'm worried I'm going to break my also newly obtained Track and Field controller from playing it so much.

As for non-Atari, I've been enjoying Balloon Kid on the Game Boy.