IGNORED

FS: Mattel Aquarius 32K RAM Module

jaybird3rd

(I've already started a thread about these in the Intellivision/Aquarius forum, but because not everyone frequents that forum, I thought it best to start a thread here in the Marketplace as well.)

32K_02.jpg32K_01.jpg

32K_03.jpg

I have developed a new 32K RAM module for the Mattel Aquarius Home Computer. It is a direct replacement for Mattel's original 4K and 16K memory modules, and expands the Aquarius to the maximum amount of (flat) conventional RAM that it will support. It is of interest mainly to programmers who need more memory to work with than the paltry ~1.7K of free RAM in the unexpanded Aquarius, but it is also useful to those who want to try the interesting library of Aquarius cassette software, most of which required expanded RAM. Mattel's original RAM modules (particularly the 16K modules) are somewhat hard to come by today, and the original 32K module is a collector's item that was made in very limited quantities, so I hope that these modules will finally provide an inexpensive upgrade solution for Aquarius owners.

I am asking $29.95 for each module (shipping extra). To use it, simply insert it into the expansion port of the Aquarius computer, label side facing UP, or into the "Memory" port of the Mini Expander with the label facing the FRONT as shown in the picture. The extra RAM will be automatically detected by any Aquarius software that can use it; other software will simply ignore it. It's about as "Plug and Play" as you can get! I am in the process of putting together an instruction manual (in PDF format); I will post a link as soon as it's ready.

I am also offering a 10% discount to Aquarius collectors who purchase a 32K RAM Module and an Aquaricart together, or to present owners of the Aquaricart who would like to add a 32K module to their collections, and I would be glad to combine shipping for multiple items as well.

Send me a PM if you're interested, and thanks for looking!

• Like 1

I've received a few questions from interested Aquarius owners who have wondered whether extra memory is required to use the software in the Aquaricart collection, or who are simply wondering about what these modules do and how the Aquarius can benefit from the extra 32K of memory. Rather than answer everyone individually, I've decided to post that information here.

(Here's the short version: you don't need the extra memory for the first-party games in the Aquaricart, but you'll probably need it if you want to do any serious programming in Aquarius BASIC or Logo, and you'll definitely need it if you want to play any of the third-party cassette games which required 4K-16K of expanded RAM.)

First of all, remember that Aquarius software was published in two different formats. First-party software (from Mattel and/or Radofin) was mostly published on cartridges, while third-party software (from companies other than Mattel) was published exclusively on cassette tape. The cartridges formed the basis of the Aquaricart collection, which was focused specifically on first-party releases; to the best of my knowledge, nobody else ever produced Aquarius software on cartridge.

Remember also that computer memory comes in two forms: RAM and ROM. The reason that cartridge-based systems can be enjoyed the instant you turn them on is because the software does not have to be loaded (or copied) into memory from another source; cartridges contain ROM, so the software is already in memory and can be executed by the computer directly. However, cassette software must be loaded into RAM, and unfortunately, a standard Aquarius contains only 2K of usable RAM (sometimes even less); the rest is reserved for other purposes. That's why a cassette game that is 16K in size requires a memory expansion module like this one, while a 16K cartridge game does not.

The games in the Aquaricart collection are mostly cartridge games. They were designed to be compatible with the stock Aquarius, so they run entirely from the cartridge and do not require extra RAM. The only exception is the "Demo Cassette" games, but those are small enough to fit into the Aquarius's 2K of built-in RAM, so they do not require any extra RAM either. One or two of the games might use extra RAM if you have it (I think Space Speller may use it if you choose to enter a larger dictionary of words, for example), but none require it, and most will ignore it completely.

Expanded RAM is used by the programming languages (Logo and BASIC) and by the applications (FileForm and FinForm). BASIC and Logo in particular are very limited on an unexpanded Aquarius because there is only enough RAM available for the simplest programs; if you want to do any serious programming in these languages, you'll find them a lot more useful with 32K of RAM. FileForm and FinForm (the Aquarius word processor and spreadsheet) aren't especially useful today even with expanded memory, to be honest, but FileForm will run without it, while FinForm requires at least 4K of expanded RAM.

Aside for programming, the extra RAM is useful if you want to try out the third-party Aquarius software (mostly games) on a real Aquarius; remember, this is the software that was published on cassette, so you have to have enough available RAM to use it. Martin v.d. Steenoven has put together a list of these games on his Web site. Most of them required 16K of expanded RAM, but with a 32K module, you'll easily have enough memory for any of them.

• Like 2