IGNORED

Let's Vote on the Worst Game

WORST Intellivision Game of All Time  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the WORST Intellivision Game of All Time?

• Space Hawk
    • Maze-a-Tron
    • Congo Bongo
    • Roulette
    • Checkers
    • Turbo
    • Empire Strikes Back
    • Kool Aid Man
    • Vectron
    • Sewer Sam
    • Donkey Kong
    • Donkey Kong Jr
    • Carnival
    • Tropical Trouble
    • Zaxxon
    • Super Pro Decathlon
    • Backgammon
    • Pole Position
    • Sub Hunt
    • Championship Tennis
    • PGA Golf
    • Fathom
    • Tron Solar Sailor
    • Tutankham
    • Supercobra

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Not to set a precedent here, but I just swapped Stampede for Fathom. Stampede is a great game and doesn't belong here. Think of Super Cobra as the best game on the list and we'll leave it in.

Interesting, I have yet to play Fathom on Inty, but it is top ten for me on Atari. I am going to have to go home and play DK, Space Hawk and Zaxxon before I decide. They are all contenders.

Edited by Chuck D. Head
  • Like 1

Interesting, I have yet to play Fathom on Inty, but it is top ten for me on Atari. I am going to have to go home and play DK, Space Hawk and Zaxxon before I decide. They are all contenders.

Play Kool-Aid Man as well. Nothing on the Intellivision is worse than that POS. Easily a contender along with Atari's E.T. for the worst game of all time. Even the programmer admits it.

Edited by Eric7100

This wasn't a complicated list to build. It is the result of the round 1 results from the recent tournament. Games that finished last or second to last in their group made a list and then I sorted them by lowest vote total. Those at the top of the list received the lowest number of votes (many 0).

Truckin and Reversi have been mentioned. Truckin was a round 1 runner up that received 2nd round votes. It ranks as #42 on the top games list. Reversi was a candidate but it received enough rnd 1 votes that it didn't make it into this group of 25.

Since this topic has received more attention than the actual top 50 post I made, I could put the rest of the bottom feeders into a different group - let you vote on them and then come up with like a top 5 or so. We could drop DK at that point and vote again if you like.

I'll add that I did remove the educational games. I just wasn't interested in finding out if people thought Learning Fun I was worse that Math Fun.

=============

What I really liked about the top games tourney was that it got me motivated to play some games I already own. I'm glad to see some people are doing the same here. We'll leave the voting open to give people plenty of time to form an opinion.

• Like 2

I think many people are voting based on their strong bias against DK. That's why I said that it should not be included. People see that game on the list, and they vote for it, without even reading the rest of the list or seriously considering the others.

With DK, the problem was basically just the graphics, right? I mean, the game was just as playable as any other DK version. I challenge anybody to put two TVs, side by side, and play DK and Kool-Aid Man at the same time, and then claim that Kool-Aid Man is more fun to play. I don't think that it is... which makes it a worser game than DK.

I think some members at the bottom of the tourney list might be there because people haven't played them. My first thought when seeing the poll was wondering where the list came from, because there's some hated-on stuff from Videogame Critic on there. An obscure game is not the same thing as a bad game. See my nerd-rant about "methodology" elsewhere.

Donkey Kong on Intellivision has awful sound, janky control, bad pacing, poor graphics, and it's not even compatible with the 2nd edition of the hardware. I voted for Donkey Kong and I think it should remain on the list. I see no reason to remove it from the running just because everyone hates it.

I had Blockade Runner a long time ago and never liked it, but I sure wanted to. Piloting a space vessel shirtless, that's pretty much me all the time anyway. It should have been better.

• Like 1

I'm going to stick up for the Interphase games. They're both deeply flawed and have a learning curve, but they've got some good ideas and definitely don't deserve to be at the bottom of the pile. Sewer Sam is actually pretty decent once you learn the layout and make sure to play on Level 3 or 4, since Level 1 is agonizingly slow.

My least-favorite game on the Intellivision might well be Star Strike, but that's not listed here and I suppose it at least has some technically impressive bits. Still, it's incredibly superficial and controls poorly, and I think Space Hawk (which I enjoy in moderation) is a far better game.

No idea why Eric7100 would nominate Reversi for a spot on the worst list -- it's a fine adaptation of the game and the CPU opponent is tough!

Anyway, I voted for Empire Strikes Back, a lousy port that feels wrong and plays poorly. At least Roulette achieves its goals, and I'm willing to give Maze-A-Tron and Solar Sailer the benefit of the doubt...for now.

• Like 1

Empire Strikes Back was either ported from the Atari or released at the same time. Compared to the Atari, it is a close match. That said, when I played it on the Atari back in the day, I thought it was terrible. Only recently has the Intellivision version grown on me... a little bit.

Truckin' should be on the list. And maybe Reversi.

Play Kool-Aid Man as well. Nothing on the Intellivision is worse than that POS. Easily a contender along with Atari's E.T. for the worst game of all time. Even the programmer admits it.

You're all over the place here. Truckin is pretty incredible. It is a simulation game that does what its designers intended it to do and pushes the Intellivision to its limits. The biggest problem with that game for me is the fact that the scenery doesn't change enough. You should read the manual, find a copy of the map and give it a second chance.

As TGB points out, Reversi is a solid game that offers a good single player experience. I guess if you don't like the original game then this wouldn't be appealing, but I see no reason to classify it as WORST.

Finally E.T. is a perfectly fine puzzle game on a platform that doesn't have very many. Most on AtariAge seem to agree that it is nowhere near the worst 2600 game let alone worst overall game of all time.

Finally, Kool Aid is a brilliant gem of yesteryear that deserves to be considered as . . . no actually that one fncking sucks.

Why are Tutankham and Super Cobra on this list? They're actually decent.

Vectron is not bad - just has a bit of a learning curve as you figure out what the badword is going on, and becomes impossible past a certain level...

Kool-Aid Man, Zaxxon and Maze A Tron are bad... Donkey Kong, however, is apocalyptically bad.

- J

What, level 100? I've had it in the 90s...

Voted Roulette. Sub Hunt doesn't belong on list at all and glad to see it not getting votes. And Truckin' most certainly does not belong on any worst list. And Reverse does what it's intended to do so don't think it should be bashed along with checkers, chess, etc... I just never got into Roulette and probably not much to get in to.

I would say that most people played Donkey Kong back in the day. Part of the reason it is so hated is due to the disappointment factor - it's such a poor conversion of a fantastic game. The graphics aren't good. The sound is awful. The main character looks nothing like the original. The controls are dire. And it's missing half the levels. It could and should have been one of the best games on the system, as DK Arcade and D2K prove.

Kool Aid Man is dire, but hardly anyone would have played it. I certainly hadn't heard of it until the days of the Internet and Intellivision software lists. Its obscurity saved it. It's just a bad game, not a bad game that could and should have been a whole lot better.

People hate games for a variety of reasons. Obviously disappointment factor looms large as a reason to rate a game as the worst ever.

- J

I can't believe there are no votes for Carnival (yet). Does anyone have anything positive to say about it?

Carnival was my #2 pick for worst game. It's one of those games I point out to people as a bad game, partly because it looks like it wasn't a very good game in the arcade to begin with.. For me, Turbo got the #1 spot but I had to think a bit to decide.

Why are Tutankham and Super Cobra on this list? They're actually decent.

Vectron is not bad - just has a bit of a learning curve as you figure out what the badword is going on, and becomes impossible past a certain level...

Kool-Aid Man, Zaxxon and Maze A Tron are bad... Donkey Kong, however, is apocalyptically bad.

- J

Vectron is unplayable without real Intellivision controller. The compilation for Playstation and DS for example only did 8 directions and not true 16 directions so some area were impossible to hit.

Vectron got a little more interesting for me on the 360 where it was included in Gameroom. There you can use the 2nd stick to move the target which is helpful, but the whole game mechanic of switching between precise movement and "free" movement just isn't fun. A true twin stick adaptation allowing you to aim and shoot easily would be interesting.

Isn't voting for what's the WORST game too subjective? Many people hate certain games that others simply adore only for personal reasons.

I suggest, if you wish to do so, determining the definable aspects of what contributes to making a game either "good" or "bad", such as

* Controllability - is it responsive to your movements or a fight all the way

* Graphics - do the images convey what is being represented or do they require a lot of imagination (i.e. running man vs. a block)

* Replay Value - do you want to continue playing it or play it once and you're done with it

* Concept - does the situation of the game make any sense or is it just too obscure to understand readily (i.e. Astrosmash vs. Vectron)

And remember, comparing the Intellivision versions to the arcade versions is not fair due to the system limitations. Sure, Donkey Kong for the INTV didn't achieve its potential and the motives behind it are debatable but is it a "bad" game? Use the aspects above as an exercise to help answer the question non-subjectively. You may be surprised!