IGNORED

No sound from my Atari 520 STfm... Help please :)

I recently purchased a 520 ST and HxC floppy emulator. When I first hooked it up and loaded a game I got sound... so I know the speaker on the monitor works. Now, I can load any game and I get NO SOUND from any of them. Did I accidentally toggle off the sound either on the HxC floppy emulator or the computer itself???

I haven't opened a STFM in years, but if I remember correctly, the Yamaha sound chip is located near the floppy drive bay. I would check to see that nothing is shorted from the floppy emulator hardware you installed. Do you at least hear keypress sounds?

Edited by RodLightning
  • Like 1

It just occurred to me after starting this thread that the STfm has the RCA out for use with a TV. So I hooked it up to a TV and sure as shit, I get sound. :) What baffles me is that I was initially getting sound from the monitor speaker intermittently, then nothing at all. I'm wondering if the monitor speaker is flaky. I will need to investigate... but not tonight. :)

It just occurred to me after starting this thread that the STfm has the RCA out for use with a TV. So I hooked it up to a TV and sure as shit, I get sound. :) What baffles me is that I was initially getting sound from the monitor speaker intermittently, then nothing at all. I'm wondering if the monitor speaker is flaky. I will need to investigate... but not tonight. :)

I would check with the volume knob/pot. Then there's the audio out pin on the monitor jack (pin 1). Cleaning both would be a good start.

You can actually test pin 1 for sound by making a line out patch cable (pin 13 is ground). It's just analog mono audio. You would have to stick two wires into the appropriate holes. Daring, but effective. I used to connect a Amdek composite monitor to my 520stfm that way with four wires before finally getting the proper cable.

So, I spent a few hours trying to figure out what the sound problem is with the monitor. I have come to the conclusion that there is a bad trace in the harness. If I bend the wire just right, the speaker works. Oh well, at least I figured out what the deal is... now I just need to see if I can find a new harness... maybe best has them.

Also, the monitor harness is hardwired so... replacing it might not be possible unless it's from a junked unit. It's a SC1224 Hitachi tube version.

Edited by 7800

If you haven't seen it already, this recent thread about st monitor cables may help with your endeavors. :)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225993-13-pin-din-adapter/

Otherwise, I agree that Best Electronics is the most likely place to look for a oem sc1224 wiring harness. Btw, I think there were two or three differet versions of the sc1224.