IGNORED

Making a PC game, would love feedback.

In fairness mate, while they make their points in a really a-hole way, they do have some points. Waiting until the art was at least fully implemented in the first level would help a lot, because right now first impressions are really rough in terms of art direction. When people see mostly placeholder art, they'll have a hard time seeing past that since most folks will judge based on the first few seconds of what they see visually, not the core game-play. I think the idea is awesome, but the visuals at least for a 30 second preview video need to be spot-on, or people won't be interested.

Just my humble 2-cents.

^^ This. I read the first page of comments this way:

TheRealMrCreeper 3 minutes ago
The make-shift quality unfortunatly overshadows any other aspect of this game.

Heavy Unit 11 hours ago
Positive. No comment.

roffle 11 hours ago
Due to the art style being childish and simplistic my impression is that the funding goal should be too.

berganda 13 hours ago
My overall impression is that this should be free to play. The overall quality is not something I'd pay for.

A very nice m9 17 hours ago
The sprite styling was meant to portray a fun, childish look but instead looks rough and careless.

Ambrotos_Son[P2P] 20 hours ago
I would enjoy this free to play.

Tharock1 21 hours ago
The art and sound do not meet my standards of gaming.

svharalambous Jul 14 @ 1:04am
This feels like a tired game mechanic already done well enough in Contra.

PlausibleSole Jul 13 @ 10:29pm
I cannot vote for this even though the visual concept is interesting.

joethetree Jul 13 @ 10:10pm
Too simplistic and possibly degrading to the age group intended to play this. Overall quality is poor.

Now, that's still alot of negative feeling feedback. It's also your best intel on how to polish your game.

• Like 1

In fairness mate, while they make their points in a really a-hole way, they do have some points. Waiting until the art was at least fully implemented in the first level would help a lot, because right now first impressions are really rough in terms of art direction. When people see mostly placeholder art, they'll have a hard time seeing past that since most folks will judge based on the first few seconds of what they see visually, not the core game-play. I think the idea is awesome, but the visuals at least for a 30 second preview video need to be spot-on, or people won't be interested.

Just my humble 2-cents.

^^ This. I read the first page of comments this way:

Now, that's still alot of negative feeling feedback. It's also your best intel on how to polish your game.

Yeah not too worried and I do look at the criticisms for things I can improve. But the whole looks like a flash game seems to be thrown at any 2d game by at least some people. This is largely dipping into the waters of greenlight. I didn't know what to expect and it is better to get the learning about the process out of the way now as my brothers are working on a much more ambitious game. Anyway I'll recreate the submission again once the art is finished, Unfortunately the brother working on it works about 70 hours a week so his generation of art is slower.

Though I think even with the place holder art things will be more positive once youtube allows 60fps videos as right now it looks like the game runs poorly, which it doesn't. It will run at 60 fps on really low end hardware.

If I can be perfectly frank, there are a number of reasons I see why your Kickstarter has gotten down to 68 hours remaining (at the time of this writing) with only 85 dollars to show for it (by the way, I would be delighted if I could earn 85 dollars off of my own game, Heartbreak, but I don't think that's likely, so feel fortunate that you have that much support).

First off, as mentioned already, all we see is placeholder art. First impressions are lasting impressions. On top of that, you didn't even record the video with FRAPS or something, instead opting to point your camera at your monitor like the most amateur of let's players.

Secondly, you don't inspire confidence in your game. You talk about how things need work and look wonky, then your updates boast that an elementary school child is one of the programmers. You never say what's awesome about your game, and you never imply that you have the skill, experience, or vision to actually create something worth backing.

Third, you don't demonstrate why the game is fun to play. The first level is you running without stopping, firing a hail of bullets, and nothing stands in your way. If you put a rock on the right arrow and fire keys, it's like the game could play itself. That doesn't seem engaging or interesting, to be perfectly honest. Granted, there are games that are just about annihilating tons of enemies, but those games tend to have a lot of visual and auditory flare to create a strong, cathartic experience. The music, construction paper-y style, and overall ease of gameplay makes this look very not-challenging and not especially satisfying, either. For a good example of crude graphics with fun gameplay, look at Two Finger Death Punch.

Finally, you never explain what you need five thousand dollars FOR. Do you need it to purchase some important toolset or something? What happens if you don't get that five thousand dollars that you are asking for?

Realistically, your game isn't even in the alpha stage. It's more of a prototype. It could have been made during a 48-hour Game Jam. It needs a lot more time and a lot more polish.

If you want my advice, I'd suggest finishing the game on your own time and your own dime, then promoting it on Greenlight and other places. Once you release a game or two with some following, then you are in a position to possible succeed at Kickstarter. Please don't be an example of why people call Kickstarter and Greenlight a haven for scammers.

Edited by Cybearg
  • Like 3

Great advice indeed. You hit the nail on the head with the visuals and gameplay.

I have several projects on the go that I'd like to push onto Kickstarter. However, none look or play well enough for me to have the confidence to raise some 'polishing off' funds on Kickstarter.

Kickstarter is a pretty unforgiving platform if you don't have a suitably engaging video. You have to be able to put some effort into the video to be able to reap the rewards. A friend tried a Kickstarter campaign for some T-Shirts with stupid/funny slogans on them. Not the most engaging idea for a Kickstarter but the video that he put together was nothing more than a set of slideshows, which made it even worse. He received no more than £25 in pledges.

Video and presentation is everything.

I found that out, The good thing here is I can try again once the art is overhauled more extensively. Best to learn from the lowest risk situation, same with steam, offer every language you can reasonably translate to, if a mac and linux port are remotely feasibly offer those as well. As far as 5000 dollar goal. Basically it was to be certain I didn't end up taking a bath over producing physical copies.

I found that out, The good thing here is I can try again once the art is overhauled more extensively. Best to learn from the lowest risk situation, same with steam, offer every language you can reasonably translate to, if a mac and linux port are remotely feasibly offer those as well. As far as 5000 dollar goal. Basically it was to be certain I didn't end up taking a bath over producing physical copies.

Aren't you worried that you might be making a bad reputation by putting out proposals for such early-stage games? If, a year or two down the road, you had solid experience and a great idea and then you tried to pitch your concept for funding, people may be wary of donating because they can see from your Kickstarter profile history that you tried Kickstarting an unfinished game that failed to meet its goal.

Aren't you worried that you might be making a bad reputation by putting out proposals for such early-stage games? If, a year or two down the road, you had solid experience and a great idea and then you tried to pitch your concept for funding, people may be wary of donating because they can see from your Kickstarter profile history that you tried Kickstarting an unfinished game that failed to meet its goal.

I don't think so, especially since it will be the same game but with everything much more refined.