IGNORED

Largest Geographic Grouping of TI-99/4A Users + (Poll)

Omega-TI

Hidden & Stealth TI-Users  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a "LONE" TI user in your geographic location.

• YES
    • NO
    • N/A
  2. 2. Do you have other "ACTIVE" TI friends in your geographic area?

• YES
    • NO
    • N/A
  3. 3. If there are others in your area, how many are there?

• 1+ (multiple choice)
    • 5+ (multiple choice)
    • 10+ (multiple choice)
    • A users group (multiple choice)
    • No others in my geographic area that I know of.
  4. 4. If others are in your geographic area how many are >>NOT<< on Atari Age?

• 1+
    • 5+
    • 10+

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

We have nice little group of people from around the world here on Atari Age, but sometimes all is not what it appears to be. There are still some TI user groups around the world, many Atari Age members & subscribers may even have TI friends that do not use the board at all and therefore may be "INVISIBLE" to the community at large. The amount of buying and selling on eBay also gives a small inkling at how many people may be unaware of our existence as well.

While this poll can never be truly accurate, it may give us an idea to what is out there. Besides answering the questions, comments and detailed information are requested on any other user groups or online collection of TI user's.

If you have more than one or two in your area (within 100 miles) "that you know of", please lease a message giving your geographic region.

We could start another with PinMaps

This is an AWESOME idea! Set it up and then tell me what to do, I'll GLADLY add myself to the list.

I don't know if it's just a far-out fantasy, but I believe regional "get-to-gether's" might be viable thing. Obviously it would not be anything as grand as the Chicago Fair, but once or twice a year it might be possible for people to get away for one day of a weekend to drive aroundr 100 miles or so to meet in an informal setting with other TI'ers, have some good times and maybe swap some stuff on the side. That map idea of yours would sure make it obvious how many people are out there.

• Like 1

This is an AWESOME idea! Set it up and then tell me what to do, I'll GLADLY add myself to the list.

I don't know if it's just a far-out fantasy, but I believe regional "get-to-gether's" might be viable thing. Obviously it would not be anything as grand as the Chicago Fair, but once or twice a year it might be possible for people to get away for one day of a weekend to drive aroundr 100 miles or so to meet in an informal setting with other TI'ers, have some good times and maybe swap some stuff on the side. That map idea of yours would sure make it obvious how many people are out there.

I don't know where to find it now, but I seem to remember Tom Wills or someone else from the Yahoo list server had set up a map like this a few years ago. For all I know it's long gone, but it was interesting to see the various clusters of people.

In my area there are at least 3 others that I am aware of, all members of AA. My area is southwest Washington.

Well, make it four then; unless you were already counting me for some reason :D Not sure how "active" you would consider me, I got mine a year ago, picked up a few more since, play a few games every few weeks, and slowly building a software library and learning what I can about it.

Edited by Chuck D. Head

It would be cool to hang out with some 'local' 99ers :).

Does that include me? :)

I'm up in the Edmonds / Mukilteo area.

Dude, you're alive! Good to see you post. And I'd say... yeah, you count! You probably don't even remember me but been trying to coordinate for about 3 years with ya! You were the first name I had when I came up to the Seattle area.

Anyhow, glad you're still kickin.

Cheers!

-Dano

I don't know where to find it now, but I seem to remember Tom Wills or someone else from the Yahoo list server had set up a map like this a few years ago. For all I know it's long gone, but it was interesting to see the various clusters of people.

Sure, this was what I had in mind. However, this was dropped when Yahoo decided to become different. The good thing was that we had this application inside the forum portal, while any other solution now involves some external service. Or something based on Google Maps.

I know there must be quite a few TI folks within 100 miles of me, but I only know of 2 for sure, viz., @unhuman (65 mi.) and @Gazoo (90 mi.)—both are driving distances, not as the crow flies. I live between Westminster, MD and Gettysburg, PA; 30 mi. from Frederick, MD; 40 mi. from Baltimore's Inner Harbor and 65 mi. from Washington, DC. There are 15 million people within 100 miles! :-o Surely, more than a handful are TI-99/4A users.

...lee

Sure, this was what I had in mind. However, this was dropped when Yahoo decided to become different. The good thing was that we had this application inside the forum portal, while any other solution now involves some external service. Or something based on Google Maps.

If you have another suggestion over PinMaps (perhaps something OpenStreetMap powered) I'm all ears - I know Google stinks ;).

You weren't when I was there on holiday ;-)

If you ever return on holiday, warn me so i can get you to pack a extra suitcase filled with ti99 stuff.

Mail sucks here, only 1 in 10 items ever appear, and services like DHL charge like $60 bucks per pound plus 40% import tax on value.

IMO the poll would have made more sense if "geographic location" and "geographic area" where defined (and also the difference between the two). Is it 10 miles, 50 miles, 100 miles? Does it mean close enough to go hang out, etc.?

I like the idea of a "pinned map", which might actually help us find people in our area that we did not know about. However, IMO it should not be a "TI" specific map, which will probably be very sparse.